Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Jeet Kune Do Footwork Reply with quote

I've been attending my new JKD classes faithfully, and I've found that footwork is really emphasized, and it's not like I can fall back on my karate stances and movements--there's such a difference.

The tough part I'm experiencing, which means a lot of practice is needed, is backing up rapidly. I know there's another topic/thread about blocks and backing up, but this is really not the same.

There's a fine video by Ted Wong at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXpmk0GbLMQ

Regular backing up is at :42; compare it with rapid backing up at 2:00. Not the same at all. My instructor was demonstrating by being the target of a student's punches to his face how this way buys more space for you.

Any Jeet Kune Do-ers in the forums who've done this? Tried this whether a JKD practitioner or not?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it is something useful, to a point. The problem with backing up too much is that you don't gain any advantage by it. But, if you can back up faster than your opponent is advancing, then you can set up a counter to go back towards them.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad video. The footwork is a crossing of boxing and competitive fencing by the looks of it. Which is good foundational footwork in many cases. While knowing the basics of how to move your feet, I wouldn't feel comfortable moving that far back in a straight line. Outside of open areas with flat, smooth ground, it can be dangerous.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The principle is the same kind of movement that we use. There are slight variations but it's the same core idea. The drag of the following foot prevents your stance from getting drawn out and unusable.

I tend to be more frontal and have my feet more in a shoulder width posture. Yes, it will open the groin a bit and present more of a frontal target area. My JKD friends are correct. However, it also give you easier access to your cross and the wider stance makes it easier to cut corners with your center under you. It also lets you sprawl easier.

Still, it's a fundimentally good pattern. Mobility is king, and this kind of step keeps you that way.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoriKid wrote:
Not a bad video. The footwork is a crossing of boxing and competitive fencing by the looks of it. Which is good foundational footwork in many cases. While knowing the basics of how to move your feet, I wouldn't feel comfortable moving that far back in a straight line. Outside of open areas with flat, smooth ground, it can be dangerous.

That is something that bothers me about Fencing footwork, that it is all back and forth, with no lateral movement. Its good footwork for what it is, but having that lateral movement is a big helper, in my opinion.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do JKD.

I haven't been on here in a while but thought I would check it out.

Yes JKD Footwork is based on fencing and boxing but it is not just straight forward and backwards. This is just beginner footwork and is not comprehensive at all. When you advance you will use variations of these with curving and sidestepping. This is basically the baby stuff.

Backing up rapidly is usually done after an onslaught and I would usually use the pendulum to move back as fast as possible. Its kinda of like skipping back and is very fast. In fact I think moving back is faster than moving forward.

There are lots of good JKD steps Stutter step, Rocker Shuffle, Heel and Toe sway.

Equally we don't just back up, we are not taught this in certain situations you have to go back. But JKD is by no means passive.

As it is said the easiest way to end a fight is to just reach over and knock the guy out.

Very poor quality but we do use side stepping but mostly its interception.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-6fjoVT1Zk

Plus this is Bruce in 1967 I think, 5 years later he sparred very differently. I have heard that he found no need to move at all. He was pretty still and as soon as he saw opportunity he would hit the guy. As soon as he saw preparation he hit the guy. Ted Wong said that Bruce was so fast he didn't need to move much anymore.

The key is to stop the enemy at the gate upon preparation ( Much easier said than done), that is what JKD is all about.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay wrote:

Yes JKD Footwork is based on fencing and boxing but it is not just straight forward and backwards. This is just beginner footwork and is not comprehensive at all. When you advance you will use variations of these with curving and sidestepping. This is basically the baby stuff. . . .

I take JKD each Thursday, and last night we practiced moving in an "L" shape. It was moving backwards, but it wasn't so much to avoid getting hit as it was to reposition yourself to hit the other guy. We were like soldiers who appeared to be retreating, when we were actually attacking another way.

Quote:

I have heard that he found no need to move at all. He was pretty still and as soon as he saw opportunity he would hit the guy. As soon as he saw preparation he hit the guy. Ted Wong said that Bruce was so fast he didn't need to move much anymore.

One of the drills we practiced was that one person punched while the other held the focus mitts--and yet acted as the opponent. So I was to hit one mitt as soon as I saw the other mitt moving to pop me on top of my head, just above my forehead. There was emphasis on "breaking rhythm" as much as hitting, and the footwork was actually not making major steps but little ones that had the incoming mitt miss my head while striking the focus mitt with the rear hand. JKD is known for the straight lead, but it's certainly not the only punch in the arsenal.

Quote:

The key is to stop the enemy at the gate upon preparation ( Much easier said than done), that is what JKD is all about.

Sometimes I got popped, but usually I didn't. I admit my partner and I were going at training speed with the focus mitt shots to the head, but when you're starting out, you have to go at that speed so that the one doing the punching can learn to catch the initial movement of the opponent and land that punch as instantly as possible. It was a good drill.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like your understanding it well. Its nice to have someone with a shared passion

I have so many books on JKD its unbelievable considering I have only been doing it a year. But I must say that ever since I started I just love it. I can't get enough its like a drug.

Those drills look good and I have done the L shape one.

Like I said I can't stop the enemy at the gate yet either. Its just something to aim at being able to do you know. I'm sure if we train hard enough we can be as good or better than Bruce at it.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay wrote:

Very poor quality but we do use side stepping but mostly its interception.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-6fjoVT1Zk . . .

Plus this is Bruce in 1967 I think, 5 years later he sparred very differently.

I don't know if you've seen this video by Tim Tackett, Jay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRd7Yqf2dmA

but he explains from :43 to 1:48 the three JKD phases of Bruce Lee working out Jeet Kune Do, in Seattle, Oakland, and Los Angeles. The video as a whole is a good one.

Jay wrote:

I have so many books on JKD its unbelievable considering I have only been doing it a year. But I must say that ever since I started I just love it. I can't get enough its like a drug.

I've started a small collection myself. I've kept the Teri Tom articles in recent Black Belt magazines, read the Chinatown Jeet Kune Do book by Tim Tackett and Bob Bremer, and have the Championship Fighting book (in .pdf form) by Jack Dempsey that Lee really examined for the "falling step." I'm lucky that I can attend a seminar/workshop on JKD in October, with one of the participating instructors being Tim Tackett.

Jeet Kune Do is rather addictive, I've got to admit that.

MrFight
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video just shows all the basic footwork movements... all very inportant and the basis of any fighting technique, but this is for beginners skill level movements. None the less is still worth while revewing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: