Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: kanku sho technique #15 (koukutsudachi uchiuke gedanbarai) Reply with quote

My Sensei always told us that there is not just one correct bunkai for any given kata, but rather that each karateka should do his/her own research as to how these movements that we train again and again can be adapted and used.

That being said, I'm still feeling unsure about the application of the quintessential waza of kanku sho. You know the one. If you ever see a picture of someone doing kanku sho, their body is in this position. Well, if not then here is Nakayama Sensei doing it on the cover of a Best Karate book.

Anyway, aside from just being a simultaneous forearm block and downward block, I was wondering if there is an application of catching a kick as well. This is just my own intuition that I'm working with here, but has anyone else found this application to be a possibility?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of one wrist being grabbed, and you release it by pulling that wrist up into the middle block position as you use the down block position to strike the grabbing hand down and away.

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Think of one wrist being grabbed, and you release it by pulling that wrist up into the middle block position as you use the down block position to strike the grabbing hand down and away.

We use this in heian sandan bunkai for uchi uke gedan barai moment.

pers
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

That would be the next move ,is it not ? and the stance is raised slowly with tension .

here yahara sensei demonstrate it best ,this particular move first done 12 second into the kata ...

http://youtu.be/67Rh8Cfv3f4

It is one of my favourite katas ,so dynamic and invigorating and meaningful .

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pers wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

That would be the next move ,is it not ? and the stance is raised slowly with tension .

here yahara sensei demonstrate it best ,this particular move first done 12 second into the kata ...

http://youtu.be/67Rh8Cfv3f4

It is one of my favourite katas ,so dynamic and invigorating and meaningful .
The way I read it, and from looking at the picture, is where I drew my conclusion from. I'm not a Karate guy, so I was just trying to picture the move in my head. From what I saw in that kata, I thought it was later in the form, when he was in middle stances facing away from the camera, but they appeared to be higher than the pic he showed earlier.

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
The way I read it, and from looking at the picture, is where I drew my conclusion from. I'm not a Karate guy, so I was just trying to picture the move in my head. From what I saw in that kata, I thought it was later in the form, when he was in middle stances facing away from the camera, but they appeared to be higher than the pic he showed earlier.

Sorry for the confusion. The technique I am talking about is actually in that kata twice. @pers: Thanks for the cool video! He is pretty fantastic isn't he!? My senpai used to tell me stories). Anyway In that video of Yahara Sensei the move I am talking about is performed once at 0:22 (facing towards the camera), and again at 0:30 (facing away). It is in back stance and in both cases the right arm does a forearm block while the left is doing a downward block.

I was just wondering what other bunkai people may have found for this move other than the obvious upper block and downward block.

Thanks for your responses! I'll have to try the wrist-release with a partner next time I get to the dojo!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: kanku sho technique #15 (koukutsudachi uchiuke gedanbara Reply with quote

Shizentai wrote:
My Sensei always told us that there is not just one correct bunkai for any given kata, but rather that each karateka should do his/her own research as to how these movements that we train again and again can be adapted and used.

That being said, I'm still feeling unsure about the application of the quintessential waza of kanku sho. You know the one. If you ever see a picture of someone doing kanku sho, their body is in this position. Well, if not then here is Nakayama Sensei doing it on the cover of a Best Karate book.

Anyway, aside from just being a simultaneous forearm block and downward block, I was wondering if there is an application of catching a kick as well. This is just my own intuition that I'm working with here, but has anyone else found this application to be a possibility?

To the point....Yes. I've executed this very Bunkai and I've seen other karateka's at tournaments execute against a kick within their own Bunkai. At first, I denied it as a practical application, because I assumed with trial and error that it was almost impossible to catch a full power kick done at full speed. However, that was due to my own karate immaturity. Soon time tested efforts replaced my immaturity with maturity and I had few doubts, if any, of ever being able to catch a full power kick, but over the many years, I've grown to accept it as a practical application because it is possible to catch a full power kick at full speed within this particular Bunkai. It's no more unpractical as executing an Ippon Seoinage at either of these points of the Kanku sho either.

Enjoy!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ALWAYS more than oen bunkai for any given move.

On this specific technique you have:

1. the obvious blocking a kick and punch at the same time.

2. blocking a punch and groin/leg strike

3. blocking a kick and doing a strike to the head.

4. or the one nobody ever realizes unless you really study bunkai, is this is also a throw. How? Imagine a punch followed by a kick (or visa versa), you block then catch the appendage, then reverse the technique (just do the block again with the opposite arms) and it turns it into a throw that basically makes your opponent do a cartwheel in place and lands them on their head. The arm goes down while the leg comes up.

It's easier to demonstrate than to put into writing, but it's a legitimate bunkai of he kata.

Others?

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah HA! I thought so! Thanks sensei8 and Montana!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, Montana. I would love to see it done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: