Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My knowledge of Japanese/Okinawan martial arts is fairly limited. Can someone either tell me (or refer me to a reputable source) the significance of the following karate-related topics?

1) Sabaki method (circular?)
2) Main or general differences between Okinawan karate and Japanese karate
3) Mas Oyama
4) Gichin Funakoshi

As for Funakoshi and Oyama, I am simply interested in what set them apart from the other karate masters of their era (or of any era for that matter).

Thanx a bunch!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 2002-03-04 13:03, spinninggumby wrote:
My knowledge of Japanese/Okinawan martial arts is fairly limited. Can someone either tell me (or refer me to a reputable source) the significance of the following karate-related topics?

1) Sabaki method (circular?)

Sabaki usually means to side step or move out of the way of an attack. However the Japanese word does have several applications. Could you expand your question further please

2) Main or general differences between Okinawan karate and Japanese karate

Thats a big question. Apart from Okinawa using the original names of Kata, they tend to have a higher stance, dont always promote contest as much and take a less militaristic approach to training and attitudes in the Dojo.
I would suggest reading Shoshin Nagamine book "The Essence of Okinawan Karate" for greater insight. Or Morio Higaonna's series of books.

3) Mas Oyama
4) Gichin Funakoshi

As for Funakoshi and Oyama, I am simply interested in what set them apart from the other karate masters of their era (or of any era for that matter).

Oyama was a student of Funakoshi for awhile. He was graded to 4th Dan "I think" under Funakoshi. I dont think Oyama liked the sparring methods of Shotokan and placed less emphasis on Kata.

Oyama was into more overt demonstrations of power by killing bulls and breaking masses of bricks and tiles. He also liked full contact which Funakoshi spoke against.

I hope that helps

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Piastre
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a number of times that Funakoshi wasn't necessarily the best karateka in Okinawa at the time (in fact there were supposedly many better), but was chosen to go to Japan because of his education, not his skill.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-04 14:09, Piastre wrote:
I've read a number of times that Funakoshi wasn't necessarily the best karateka in Okinawa at the time (in fact there were supposedly many better), but was chosen to go to Japan because of his education, not his skill.

Choki Motobu promoted that idea. There was rivalry between them over their Okinawan class status. Funakoshi was a lower class than Motobu but had a better education. Motobu was also thrown out of Itosu's school where Funakoshi trained.

Funakoshi was selected because of his skill. He trained under the finest Masters of his time, Azato, Itosu, Matsumura and many others. If you know anything about Okinawan attitudes and culture you will realise they would never allow anyone to do anything unless they were highly skilled.

These stories came out of petty jealously by Motobu's annoyance a lower class Okiwawan was chosen over him to represent To-De (Karate). Motobu was a great master but a renegade.

Theres no evidence to show that Funakoshi was not very skilled, quite the contrary from what I learnt in Japan and all I have read these last 28 years

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding my first question, I was referring to the Sabaki method/style founded by Kancho Joko Ninomiya. I think he wrote a book on this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Piastre
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't implying that he wasn't skilled as I don't know. I've actually read both accounts and I find it interesting the way people with vested interests interpret the same event differently.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very hard to determine anyones skills 50 years or more after their death. One can only rely on testamony of their loyal students and prejudice can happen.

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you guys read dragon times? http://www.dragon-tsunami.com i believe but they have been doing a an article every issue on choki for a couple of issues the last one also had something about the 15 basic shotokan kata.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the stories about Choki Motobu, he sounds like a rebel. I like rebels LOL

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: