Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shotokan or Kyokushinkai?
Shotokan
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
Kyokushinkai
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 17

drk94
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Karate Shotokan or Kyokushinkai Reply with quote

Hello guys, I have a decision to make, there are two karate schools In my town and I gotta choose which one is the best for me.

I have read a lot of opinions about both styles of karate but I'm still not sure whether people are talking just for talking or saying the truth.

What I know right now is that these two styles are very different, Shotokan is and old traditional martial art and its used nowadays as a competitive sport with points, somewhat like fencing while kyokushinkai is about full contact and body conditioning (KO in competitions)

Which one is the best for self defense and why?

Thank you

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In their competition formats both neglect strikes to the head, and body-to-body combat, which are very real dangers in self-defence. Usually; Kyokushin is the better choice for self-defence due to the full-contact tradition, and the intensity of training because of it. However, with more dojo moving towards kata application, and incorporating methods from kick-boxing and free-fighting; this is not the determining edge it once was.

If the Shotokan dojo provides sufficient conditioning, and application (bunkai training) then it can be effective self-defence. So check both dojo, and go with the one which has the better approach to self-defence. Drills which are for self-defence (not just traditional kumite), and kata application, as well as suitable conditioning methods for self-defence are what you should look for.

drk94
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
In their competition formats both neglect strikes to the head, and body-to-body combat, which are very real dangers in self-defence. Usually; Kyokushin is the better choice for self-defence due to the full-contact tradition, and the intensity of training because of it. However, with more dojo moving towards kata application, and incorporating methods from kick-boxing and free-fighting; this is not the determining edge it once was.

If the Shotokan dojo provides sufficient conditioning, and application (bunkai training) then it can be effective self-defence. So check both dojo, and go with the one which has the better approach to self-defence. Drills which are for self-defence (not just traditional kumite), and kata application, as well as suitable conditioning methods for self-defence are what you should look for.

thanks for the insight, i will proceed to check each dojo and see how they focus on the fighting/self defence part

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick the better dojo. The only way to find out which one is the better fit for you is to visit both.

The instructor, students you'll train alongside, and training methods are usually far more important than the style itself.

There are stereotypes in both styles as Wado Heretic said, but they're not true of every single dojo. Let's say Kyokushin as a whole is the better fit for you; it doesn't mean that the local Kyokushin dojo isn't filled with kids that think they're Ninja Turtles, isn't new (or on its way out of business) and only has a couple of students, the instructor isn't a person who doesn't know how to effectively teach, etc.

Kyokushin is a great art. While not a complete fighting art in the sense that it doesn't contain much, if any grappling, ground work, and throws; it is highly effective and honest IMO. The training methods are pretty tough and a ton of people don't stick around for long. Bare knuckle isn't very easy on the body. Body conditioning (where you're repeatedly hit to toughen up) isn't something that everyone enjoys. Or at least not for years on end.

I started out in an organization that was Kyokushin in all aspects but its actual name. I loved it. I was also between 18-25 years old. Going on 41, I've "been there, done that." I think it's a great way to train while someone's young and can recover from it. I think everyone who's serious about MA and self defense should train like that for a period to sort out what it's like to actually hit and be hit. To separate truth from fiction, in a sense.

Barring extreme examples, no one can honestly say one place is better than another for someone else.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trained both for about a year each. As others have said Kyokushin is full contact and the training reflects that mentality - it's rough and tough. Don't expect an easy ride at any part of the journey. More emphasis was placed on strong spirit than correct technique, though part of that spirit is listening carefully to your instructor and making the exact adjustments in the moment and/or under pressure. As others have said it's also more conditioning for your body, you will sweat in the training.

Shotokan seems to be more focused on the kata and executing the technique properly - less of a fighting mentality. I've done a lot of kata, kihon, and stretching. I've worked a lot more on footwork. It's also about speed and getting in and out quickly - Kyokushin in comparison feels a bit clunky to me.

At the moment I prefer Shotokan because the drill instructor experience I got in Kyokushin was a bit overwhelming for me. Shotokan has required a lot of discipline on my part, strong spirit, and I am definitely challenged - although not as directly on the floor. To me there is a certain grace to it that I like as well. That said, when I return home for the summer I do train at my Kyokushin dojo and it's a good reminder that I can hang with the tough dogs. I think my training in Shotokan will actually lead to a certain improvement in the Kyokushin arena.

I think my experience will reflect the general difference but of course it will depend to some degree on the school - I'm sure there are really tough Shotokan schools and relatively "light" Kyokushin schools. I got some good advice on here not too long ago - find what works for you. If the glove don't fit... +1 to trying out both schools if possible. See what you like. Good luck and enjoy!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on whether they put competition ahead of self defense and combative applications.

Like JR 137 said, pick the one that fits you and your needs the best. If self defense is most important to you find out which one meets that need best.

As mentioned people are different and the way one instructor teaches an art might differ from another. So make sure you meet and observe both and interview the instructor and find out what his/her focus is.

drk94
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the support guys, i really appreciate it

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choose whichever Sensei will be the best fit.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo what others have said...it's more about the school than about the style. Go with the school that fits your goals and desired instructional approach.

FWIW in the Kyokushin dojo I train at, while we do our share of kumite training, there is also a big emphasis on technique. IMO the tougher workouts can be ones where we do kihon and/or kata. YMMV though...there are certainly plenty of Kyokushin dojos that emphasize more fighting/competition.

I'm obviously biased, but I think that any school should include some training that involves at least moderate contact. I've trained at places that do nothing but point sparring and it was a real eye opener when I started in Kyokushin.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better dojo will normally take priority and then cost factors into it.

Both Shotokan and Kyokushinkai are good styles although i havent personally trained in either (yet).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: