Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Karate Throws and Judo Throws: a comparison Reply with quote

This video went through my Facebook feed the other day, and I thought it was an interesting commentary from Iain Abernethy in regards to the difference in Karate and Judo throwing, specifically, the difference in throwing for competition or self-defense.

https://youtu.be/ZEeZ-0bjS0c

What do you think? I know not everyone gets on board with Abernethy's approach to bunkai, but I think this discussion is less about deriving applications from kata, and more about the environment these throws are applied in.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Context. It is something lacking in a lot of technical discussions in martial arts and I think that is exactly what Mr. Abernethy was getting at in that video.

We tend to get caught up in doing what we do, the way we've done it without regard to the why something is done or how it might need to be changed.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoriKid wrote:
Context. It is something lacking in a lot of technical discussions in martial arts and I think that is exactly what Mr. Abernethy was getting at in that video.

We tend to get caught up in doing what we do, the way we've done it without regard to the why something is done or how it might need to be changed.

Solid post!!

I also have always seen that the difference in Judo throws from Karate throws is that Judoka's remain with the opponent while the Karateka's remain upright for a follow/finish technique.

Which ones correct? Both! Different ideas bring different models which also bring different desires based on what's to be achieved.

Also, Mr. Abernathy's Bunkai is what it is, I don't like it and I don't hate it either. Why? Oyo Bunkai allows ME, and me alone to discover the different avenues while on my own MA journey. To not follow someone else's ideology, but to discern on my own what they're a proponent of...discard or accept as my Oyo discovers.

Good topic, Brian; thanks for it!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, guys. Its good to see the differences, and to then discuss the reasons for the differences.

I get to see a lot of this in Wrestling, too, in how the moves are used to score points or get a pin, as opposed to staying standing and gaining control from that position.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My karate teacher would always say "Don't worry, it's all in there". There is no style, only techinique.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:
My karate teacher would always say "Don't worry, it's all in there". There is no style, only techinique.

Solid post!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: