Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Karate vs Taekwondo Reply with quote

Before I start, I do not know everything about anything. What I say about Karate is how I have interpreted what I have already learned. If I say anything wrong, please correct me! If I accidentally insult someone, I apologize. So, what's the difference?

KarateDO can be translated to "the empty hand way."
"Do," meaning "the way," really peaks my interest. It's a way of life, having the Karatedo mindset transfers into all aspects of life. I would really like someone to expand on this, and especially compare it to any "Do" aspect that Taekwondo might have.

In Karate, a general rule of thumb is to follow the 3 K's.
- Kihon
- Kata
- Kumite

Kihon - the basics. Chest punches, front snap kicks, head blocks, etc.

Kata - our tools. Self defense is hidden within Karate Kata.

Kumite - Sparring/Fighting. This can be done as a prearranged fighting form, also called Yakusoku Kumite, or in a way that's done in tournaments either for points or knockdown.

If I left anything out, please feel free to add!

So what does Taekwondo have that karate doesn't, or how is it similar? I firmly believe there is no best martial art, only one that best fits each individual. Just trying to do some learning

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, Karate and TKD are more similar than one cares to admit. They both have the three k's: Basics...Forms...Sparring. Imho, what separates any MA from another is METHODOLOGY and IDEOLOGY!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More similar than you think. Taekwondo comes from Karate after all and Korea and Japan share a lot of cultural influences too.

The movements aren't too dissimilar though Taekwondo has generally modified the movements found within Karate and made them is own and increased the focus on kicking techniques. Large sections of kata can be found within TKD forms and in general the teaching methodology follows the same format as the 3 Ks with a heavy emphasise on fundamentals, forms and sparring.

As for Do, this idea of The Way is the same in Taekwondo as it is in Karate. Taekwondo written in Hanja is 跆拳道. The last character 道 is exactly the same as that used when writing Karate-Do 空手道 in Kanji. (Note that this is the same character used to represent Tao in Chinese, where this idea of The Way came from.)

I suppose there is a slight difference in philosophy for Taekwondo as most styles try to reference the code of the Hwarang for a stronger link to Korean culture and history rather than Japanese. The Se Sok O Gye is as follows:

Quote:
Loyalty to one's lord (sagun ichung; 사군이충; 事君以忠; 나라에 충성하고)
Love and respect your parents(sachin ihyo; 사친이효; 事親以孝; 부모님께 효도하고)
Trust among friends (gyo-u isin; 교우이신; 交友以信; 믿음으로 벗을 사귀고)
Never retreat in battle (imjeon mutwae; 임전무퇴; 臨戰無退; 싸움에 나가서는 물러서지 않으며)
Never take a life without a just cause (salsaeng yutaek; 살생유택; 殺生有擇; 살아있는 것을 함부로 죽이지 않는다)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwarang#Five_commandments

For further reading would highly recommend some of the past discussions we've had in the Korean section :
http://www.karateforums.com/japanese-infkuence-vt47507.html

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, TKD and karate are similar in some aspects, just like a Volkswagon Beetle and a Chevy Impala are.

both are "cars", both are essentialy mechanically the same (engine, transmission, brakes, doors, etc), but they don't look the same, they don't respond the same, they don't function the same, and they serve different purposes.

Yes, they all have kicks, blocks and punches.

Yes (mostly anyway) they all have kata.

But to the trained (and in some cases, not so trained) eye, they are vastly different.

My opinion anyway.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys! I have to say I agree with all of you and must thank you for the information.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like Karate, there are quite a few different kinds of TKD schools you can run into out there. There are some that are sport-oriented, and some that are more forms and self-defense oriented. There are some that do forms like Karatekas do forms, and some that do forms in a completely different manner. There could be three TKD schools in your area, and each one could be leaps and bounds different than the others. Its all about knowing what you want out of your training, and finding the best school to fit your needs, regardless of what the name on the front of the school is.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Japanese idea of Budo & the Korean Mudo are virtually identical. The Korean Mudo uses different stories wih Korean heroes to make their case, & some of the highlights of Mudo are slightly different (like a stronger emphasis on Filial piety in Mudo than is emphasised in Budo). Due to the history of colonization of Korea by Japan during the late 1800s to the 1940s, Korea likes to focus on it's connection to China, & ignore Japanese influence. The wounds were still fresh when GM LEE Won Kuk brought Shotokan to Korea.

Even today in Judo competition, it still considered a HUGE victory when a Korean beats Japan in a match. It goes far beyond those 2 competitors on the mat.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone said, I see them as rather similar but also they are at the same time rather different.

For me IMHO Karate has more of a balance in relation to the 3 K's, and balanced in the way that we use kicks and hand strikes quite evenly. Whilst I see TKD more focused on Kicks and not so much on hand techniques.

Their Philisophical approaches are very similar in their attitudes and behaviours.

I have seen some 'Traditional' TKD Clubs that has not been influenced by Sport TKD at all which looks so different to how you see it in the Olympics or in majority of clubs these days.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taekwondo could be described as a karate style. most similar to shotokan karate from which it originated partially. but koreans won't like to admit it. maybe because of their past with japan.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, why not! After all, the one dominating word that ordains most TKD dojang's is...

KARATE

...blazoned somewhere on the store front!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: