Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jackspratt
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having a good lesson today until I demonstrated a punch and how in karate they twist the hip for extra power.Some guy started shouting calling karate "oriental *",so I told him to get up and I hit him in the temple using the technique.I doubt i'll be seeing him again.He'd only reached white belt in Karate and he came to my school because he couldn't survive in the others.Well,he can get out.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackspratt, that student deserves to be thrown out, good call. Anyone disrespecting an art, especially while swearing, should be barred from the club. About hitting him in the temple though, I am not sure, that might be considered assault, and a temple blow is very dangerous.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, tell him to come by my place and see if he can pull that again.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackspratt....(lol)......the things you say....a simple get out would have sufficed....if you keep this up either you'll knockout all your students or they'll leave thinking their next.

florida

This Message was edited by: iamrushman on Jul 20, 2001 3:41pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that guy sounds cool. Send him my way, I'll show him some cool stuff to impress him.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so how old are you again jackspratt?

Angus

- Angus Argyle

This Message was edited by: Patrick on Jul 21, 2001 9:08am

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really think that was a great thing to do - but hey, its your lawsuit.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-07-20 12:10, jackspratt wrote:
I was having a good lesson today until I demonstrated a punch and how in karate they twist the hip for extra power.Some guy started shouting calling karate "oriental sh(squak)t",so I told him to get up and I hit him in the temple using the technique.I doubt i'll be seeing him again.He'd only reached white belt in Karate and he came to my school because he couldn't survive in the others.Well,he can get out.

I couldn't be sure by your post, as if you were saying that you were having a good lesson that day, or were giving a good lesson that day -- and if you were posting this as a student or an instructor. However, and especially for an instructor, but including anyone such as students as well, that was out of line and, well, foolish. You knowing your art isn't "oriental sh(svnible)t", should be skilled enough and confident enough, to not have to resort to such things. That doesn't prove anything, other than a wrong doing on your part.

You can simply ignore the person, or ask them to leave, depending. You could have also subdued them, assuming that was reasonable action, if they wouldn't leave. You should understand as a student or instructor, that people will be disrespectful and mouth off sometimes. That's no excuse to strike someone, especially in the temple. Moreover, to demonstrate this technique?

Excuse me for questioning your post and story, but are you saying that you put more power/force into this strike to this kid's temple to prove a point about how you couldn't deal well with a loud mouth? Tell me, I'm genuinely curious, is this story "oriental sh(bow wow)t"? Yes, that was for the sake of humor, but I just have trouble buying it is all. Cheers!

[Edited for the convenience of humor]
Kung Fu, Modern Arnis, TaiJutsu, and so on and on and on and...

This Message was edited by: Tim Greer on Jul 24, 2001 1:18am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's true, it would've been more fun to toss him to the ground and make him feel helpless than to actually hurt the person. I have done this to navy SEALS and marines that think they are really tough, it really makes them change their mind about what I'm teaching and I retain more students that way.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: