Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Karate, Wushu in the Running for 2020 Summer Olympics Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/13128825/baseball-softball-8-sports-proposed-2020-games

Karate and wushu are among 8 sports that will be considered for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. The federations for all 8 will make a presentation in Tokyo in August, and organizers will make recommendations to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) by the end of September. The IOC will decide which sports will be added to the slate.

A number of other sports applied but did not make this cut, including sumo wrestling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

liger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RyobuKai (Shindo Jinen Ryu)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they makes it and stay on the list for the rest of all time!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting news; thanks for sharing it, Patrick!!

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of hope that Karate doesn't get into the Olympics. I love Karate down to its roots but traditional Karate dojos are already pretty rare around here compared to sports karate/cardio karate/karate kickboxing.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be interesting. With the games being in Tokyo, I'd be willing to bet that Karate might end up being a demonstration sport at the least.

But baseball is big in Japan, as well. It'll be interesting to see which gets in.

wayneshin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not holding my breath on this although I am quite involved in WKF competition. We have been down this path too many times.
Our best hope to beat baseball is the inclusion of kata will almost guarantee Japan one or more Gold medals.

Judodad_karateson
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, boxing, Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I don' think we would ever see this. Maybe as an exhibition art, but never as a main art. TKD got there first, and it looks too much like Karate to the untrained eye to be placed side-by-side as different sports.

Between Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, TKD, and fencing, I'm not sure there is any more room for another combat sport in the Olympics. Combat just isn't as popular (or at least not a recognized) as traditional sports.

Though, as a side note, if Judo keeps up this practice of creating rules that favor Nage waza over nawaza, they might be able to make a good case for BJJ, submission wrestling, or MMA.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read about this in a few different places. The main argument (I think anyway) is what rules will be followed? There's so many different ways to compete and point systems.

I think karate's best shot at success at this level is knockdown rules. WKF or other point fighting rules would be too close to TKD to the untrained eye. Add to that that more and more people question TKD and Karate's effectiveness (seeing MMA as the truth somehow), and I think you'd have to go knockdown.

I'd also much rather watch knockdown than WKF. I have little interest in point fighting, so probably would watch a round or two at most.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more that's added to the Olympics, the more it uninteresting it becomes to watch!! I'm slowly becoming disenchanted with the entire event.

Imho.

Judodad_karateson
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, boxing, Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
I've read about this in a few different places. The main argument (I think anyway) is what rules will be followed? There's so many different ways to compete and point systems.

I think karate's best shot at success at this level is knockdown rules. WKF or other point fighting rules would be too close to TKD to the untrained eye. Add to that that more and more people question TKD and Karate's effectiveness (seeing MMA as the truth somehow), and I think you'd have to go knockdown.

I'd also much rather watch knockdown than WKF. I have little interest in point fighting, so probably would watch a round or two at most.

Even then, all the public would see was "punching and kicking in a gi." We are talking about an organization that in recent years has tried removing wrestling ffrom the games. WRESTLING, an achient art practiced in virtually every culture that was part of the Orginial games played by the ancient Greeks! With that low a regard for combat sports, I doubt Karate will get a fair chance at being an olympic sport for at least a generation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: