Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: KarateForums.com Turns 14 and a Half Years Old! Reply with quote

Aloha! As a martial artist, I have been blessed to have had some amazing teachers along the way who have all shared something in common (regardless of style) that has molded my character and guided the direction of my life. That commonality is the spirit of ALOHA (unconditional love) and OHANA (family) - two concepts that define relationships within the Hawaiian community and, by their very nature, have reached beyond the islands and taken root in many hearts and schools across the world.

However, all is not rosy in the martial arts "world," and we often see teachers who are only interested in money and power and spend a lot of energy closing off their students to other styles and ideas - forcing them to choose when they have no other experiences to draw upon. Hence, they remain isolated, and their martial education is limited. Their "family" remains closed off, and its members, naive and trusting, take on the same closed minded attitude of the teacher - falling deeper into the trap. With a skewed perception of reality, they are often confrontational and defensive; isolating themselves even more. I bet we all know of or have experienced a school or community (inside or outside of the martial arts) like this - yes?

I got lucky as my martial arts teachers all taught from the Spirit of Aloha and, rather than isolating us, they encouraged the sharing of ideas and stressed the importance of the martial arts family as a resource for support, friendships, and success. Reaching across the borders of style in friendship and authenticity so as not to offend but rather to defend the common ground we all share as martial artists. I, in turn, strive to come from that same place and pass the spirit of aloha to my students in the hopes that they too will learn its value and pass it on to their own families and the communities they affect outside the dojo. I work to build ohana within my local martial arts community and create opportunities for the spirit to grow in their schools too.

ALOHA is (A) kindness, expressed as tenderness and compassion; (L) unity and harmony - with ourselves and others; (O) being pleasant as we agree or disagree; (H) humility and modesty in our thoughts, actions and words; (A) exhibiting patience and perseverance as we give and receive.
Through OHANA we share a common bond: to build, support and protect our families and extended families. Through ALOHA, we build those relationships and share our values, vision education and energies through authenticity and compassion.

I see KarateForums.com as our OHANA, and I believe that it is the Aloha spirit that our members and staff possess that have made it so successful. It's guidelines are reflective of ALOHA and, through careful and thoughtful moderation, Patrick has guided this community to grow in the spirit it was intended and has kept it apart/above all other martial arts forums. He has never compromised - keeping us all on task with compassion and patience (lots of it!). As our community celebrates another half-birthday, I believe its continued success is the responsibility of us all to continue to participate and to serve... in the Spirit of Aloha!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifully said. Thank you, Heidi, for the thoughtful commentary and your kind words.

This announcement represents the first of what I hope will be a fun tradition here. For the last 14 years, I have posted an announcement on our half-birthday to mark the occasion. From this point forward, the most senior staff member will be invited to address the community on this day.

Thanks,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Heidi, well said.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerful words, indeed, have never been written before, until now!! Great and solid post; way to announce KF's 14 years and a half, Heidi...AWESOME!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great message Heidi. Well said.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Heidi, thank you!

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Heidi--thank you!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: