Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Karateka who can only kick midsection? Reply with quote

Despite training for 2 years and putting all the stretching hours in, I am still only able to perform correct mawashi geris at midsection. I had a buddy of mine film me and as soon as I went for head level my leg gets bent.

I am 27 years of age, had the exact same flexibility problems with my hips when I started training age 15 and then layed off. I know the proper mechanics but my hips just aren't flexible enough beyond a very limited point.

Am a legit karateka if I can only perform techniques correctly at midsection in your opinion?

This question relates to forms only.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely horrible, and should leave the dojo in shame. Any good instructor would have kicked you out a long time ago, so shame on him/her too.

Now for the serious part...

Kick where you can, and strive to improve. Personally, I'm not a big fan of kicking head height anyway. I think a kick to the outside of the thigh, side of the knee or the groin would be far more effective, efficient, and less risky than kicking higher, but that's just me. Don't get me wrong, there's a time and a place for everything, but there's not nearly enough correct times to head kick as people do when sparring IMO.

No one's body does exactly what their brain tells it to do. All anyone can do is keep working at it.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a failure. Blue belt and 2 years of dedicated training, fullY aware of the proper mechanics, nice explosiveness, and still... I can only hold it extended for like 1 second, midsection.

catlike
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you discussed with your Sensei? I'd have thought they might be able to tell you what you need to do to get your kicks higher - and indeed IF you need them to be.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are still a karate-ka regardless, not being able to do a certain kick head don't make you any less of a karate-ka, karate is about striving to be the best you can be and that is different for everyone.

Don't feel disheartened, it will come just be patient, speak to your instructor about various exercises that can improve your flexibility for this technique, and remember that it wont happen overnight.

I have a student that had a similar issue, was flexible enough to easily kick head level with a front kick, but side and round kick couldn't, wasn't until around his brown belt grades that we saw significant improvement with those kicks.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Karateka who can only kick midsection? Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
This question relates to forms only.

If you look at most of the 'traditional' Okinawan kata - very few have kicks above the waist.

Also, mawashi-geri is a bit of an 'illegal immigrant' when it comes to traditional karate.

It was almost certainly added into most styles in mainland Japan in the early part of the 20th century (probably because of its sporting uses).

So, to answer your question - just because you can't kick head, that doesn't a bad martial artist make you.

K.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can kick the head--and have knocked people out doing so--and yet I rarely throw head kicks, unless I'm doing them the old-school way: https://www.instagram.com/p/BLjbWcjDkuN/

In all seriousness, though, you do not need to be able to kick high to be a karateka. If you do want to be able to kick that high, then that's fine. Without seeing you kick, it's hard for me to say whether it is truly a flexibility issue, or whether it is a mechanical issue.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as you've been advised here already, I'd speak with your CI (Chief Instructor) about your concerns. Making sure that you mention any physical as well as medical limitations, if you're comfortable to do that.

If your style is TKD, high kicks are dominate, and required. If your style isn't TKD, then perhaps, kicks above the waist/stomach are not required, but just your desire to do so. I understand that because when I was a JBB (Junior Black Belt) in Shindokan, an Okinawan style, and our kicks are waist/stomach down, never high, I wanted to learn other kicks, both offensive as well as defensive, so I took one year of TKD in my high school days. However, the CI determines any adjustments allowed within the student. In short, it's the CI's call across the board.

You're a MAist, through and through, and the inability to execute any type of high kicks doesn't change the fact that you are first and foremost...a Martial Artist (MA)!! That's within your heart, and not within what your limitations might and/or might not be.

If this deeply troubles you, then again, seek out your CI for his/her advice and support in this matter at your nearest opportunity. His/Her advice is paramount over mine/ours.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lack flexibility. Sometimes in sparring I can surprise myself and roundhouse kick a standing opponent's head. It's honestly when I'm not trying too hard to do so.

But there's a far easier way to kick someone in the head... sweep them first.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've trained for 15 Years and a Nidan! And i absolutely suck at kicking anywhere above the mid-section. But i am still working on it and to find how to get there whilst maintaining my balance.

Although me trying to work on it has only happened for the last 4 years.

As JR said sweep the leg to bring them down to size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: