Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
I understand the struggle. Maybe talking with her Sensei could shed some light on what needs improving or how her kata should look. There are also several good youtube videos. Some of the better (in my opinion) look like old VHS tapes. The quality of instruction is great and they break to kata down really well even if the production values are not what we expect today. I will post links later.

Thanks LLLEARNER , I will try it

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter started a few weeks before she turned 5. She learned a good amount, but you have to factor in age. Compared to an adult, she didn't learn much. And you have to look at all she learned - terminology, etiquette, following directions, focus, etc.

If you want the maximum physical benefits of exercise for kids that age, one word - gymnastics. Both of my daughters do gymnastics 1 hour, 1 night a week. With all the apparatus, there's no shortage of stuff to do (it keeps their attention very well), and the gross and fine motor movement skills they learn are excellent.

I'm heartbroken that my now 6 year old daughter isn't in karate with me, but objectively speaking, gymnastics is so much better for her from a physical development standpoint. Heresy, I know. But it's true.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
My daughter started a few weeks before she turned 5. She learned a good amount, but you have to factor in age. Compared to an adult, she didn't learn much. And you have to look at all she learned - terminology, etiquette, following directions, focus, etc.

If you want the maximum physical benefits of exercise for kids that age, one word - gymnastics. Both of my daughters do gymnastics 1 hour, 1 night a week. With all the apparatus, there's no shortage of stuff to do (it keeps their attention very well), and the gross and fine motor movement skills they learn are excellent.

I'm heartbroken that my now 6 year old daughter isn't in karate with me, but objectively speaking, gymnastics is so much better for her from a physical development standpoint. Heresy, I know. But it's true.

Yes we are planning to start Gymanistics once she turns 5 as this is the minimum age they accept & I am pretty sure my daughter will love it. She is currently doing swimming (great progress for her age) & karate (little progress) !

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is Taikyoku Shodan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzIQJsRJzEk

Heian Shodan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnpcGp2rPCM

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
Here is Taikyoku Shodan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzIQJsRJzEk

Heian Shodan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnpcGp2rPCM

Great videos. Thanks for sharing LLLEARNER I was actually going to search for it tonight. You made my life easier

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. shotokanman also has good ones.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
No problem. shotokanman also has good ones.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you should expect to see improvement with kids ?

When it's appropriate, and not any time sooner.

Quote:
at what age ?!

There's no set time...there's no set age!! Each individual, in their own time, to their own talents!!

Quote:
because if my daughter's case is a school issue I am more than happy to change the school but if that's normal I will stay in the same dojo for a while & reassess.

As a parent, that's your given right to change schools anytime, and in that, the parent doesn't need to offer reasons to anyone. Out of the mouth of babes, and this is to include babes of the MA...allow time to do what it's the best at...TIME!! Just as in adults, each one learns at their own pace, none sooner or later than the other, but just at the right and exact moment that they're suppose to learn.

Allow time to take time, and when the time is right, that AHA moment(s) will happen, when it's appropriate, and not before.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Quote:
When you should expect to see improvement with kids ?

When it's appropriate, and not any time sooner.

Quote:
at what age ?!

There's no set time...there's no set age!! Each individual, in their own time, to their own talents!!

Quote:
because if my daughter's case is a school issue I am more than happy to change the school but if that's normal I will stay in the same dojo for a while & reassess.

As a parent, that's your given right to change schools anytime, and in that, the parent doesn't need to offer reasons to anyone. Out of the mouth of babes, and this is to include babes of the MA...allow time to do what it's the best at...TIME!! Just as in adults, each one learns at their own pace, none sooner or later than the other, but just at the right and exact moment that they're suppose to learn.

Allow time to take time, and when the time is right, that AHA moment(s) will happen, when it's appropriate, and not before.

Thanks Sensei8, as usual to the point reply

C_Maududo
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids' karate school does not allow ages below 5 because they lack not only the coordination, but the concentration as well. As a mother of a new 6 year old boy (Birthday January 26), I totally understand! It will come with age and better coordination - which my son is still working on! Completely normal for this age
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: