Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tangsoomomma
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding that balance between teaching testing requirements and keeping it fun is always challenging. One of the games we used to do before we got too many students (I know sounds weird, I'll explain in a minute) was 4 corners.

Corner 1 was front stance, corner 2 back stance, corner 3 horse riding stance, corner 4 ready stance. The kids run in a big circle around the floor and I shout a number. They have to run to that corner and perform the correct stance. Not only do they have to pay attention to what corner and stance they are supposed to do, but they have to perform the stance correctly or they are out.

Now the too many student thing... we are currently in a 1200sqft facility. We had a huge influx of students and at one time had almost 30 white belts. It was INSANE! It's since slowed down some and they have moved up in rank, but our class sizes are now double, almost triple what they used to be. That's too many people running around in such a small area. No worries though, moving to a 6000sqft facility in late January

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tangsoomomma wrote:
Finding that balance between teaching testing requirements and keeping it fun is always challenging. One of the games we used to do before we got too many students (I know sounds weird, I'll explain in a minute) was 4 corners.

Corner 1 was front stance, corner 2 back stance, corner 3 horse riding stance, corner 4 ready stance. The kids run in a big circle around the floor and I shout a number. They have to run to that corner and perform the correct stance. Not only do they have to pay attention to what corner and stance they are supposed to do, but they have to perform the stance correctly or they are out.

Now the too many student thing... we are currently in a 1200sqft facility. We had a huge influx of students and at one time had almost 30 white belts. It was INSANE! It's since slowed down some and they have moved up in rank, but our class sizes are now double, almost triple what they used to be. That's too many people running around in such a small area. No worries though, moving to a 6000sqft facility in late January

These are great ideas and I appreciate you taking the time to post them.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun with them; play with them, as you would if you were their dad! Us, CI's are the big scary man, and they're shrinking violets around us; we bark...man, we're intimidating to say the least. Once we earn their trust, they are without any pause whatsoever. Lie to an adult, it can be forgiven, but if you lie to a child, it's not an easily earned forgiveness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: