Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure that martial arts has saved my life, perhaps more than once.
Mine too sir, mine too.

I think that we are both taking different roads up the same mountain here.

I was, I don't remember how old for sure but I was in grade 5 in the US if that helps, walking home with my younger sister, when a couple of young boys decided that me and most especially her, would be great targets for assault and perhaps worse, I never got the chance to find out. I told my sister to run and I turned and fought.

Fast forward a few years and by the time I am 16, I am a bouncer and doorman in an all night facility, throwing drunk and high grown men out. I still remember the night we all got in to the brawl in the parking lot and the local PD showed up with a tactical team. BTW, CS spray STINGS... and yes knives SUCK.

Then, at 18 the woman that I thought I loved died and I realized that if I didn't make some different choices, I was going to end up the same so I went to college, started working white collar jobs, and these days do martial arts for fun, fitness, and historical research.
I understand violence, grew up in a violent place and with sometimes violent people, but thanks to my own life choices, it has been more than 7 years since I have had to use force in a non-controlled environment.

I definitely respect where you are coming from, and I understand why you might want to make a different choice than me, I just want to make sure that there are different perspectives in the conversation.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Tempest, the same mountain. Perspectives and contexts may differ but exchanging points of views and experiences are very much appreciated.

With this topic and thread, my aim or intent was to refocus on knife self (hand held weapns) defense.

As many alternative ways of defending from knife attacks, are not part of traditional dojo methods or styles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: