Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

skullsplitter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Korean forms with less emphasis on kicks? Reply with quote

Are there any Korean style forms that have less emphasis on kicking (or no kicks at all)?

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean forms with less emphasis on kicks? Reply with quote

skullsplitter wrote:
Are there any Korean style forms that have less emphasis on kicking (or no kicks at all)?

Kukki-Taekwondo 2nd Dan form Keumgang has no kicks, just foot stomps in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcJrZerev4E

I believe ITF Tae Kwon-Do has one as well. I can't recall which one that is, however.

chiliphil1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only ones I know of are 2 of the "basic" forms which would be.

1. Geicho hyung il bu
2. Geicho hyung sam bu

Other than those I believe all of the TSD kata I know have at least a couple of kicks.

8th Kyu
Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither Chon Ji nor Dan Gun hyungs of the ITF form set have any kicks in them. Palgwe 1 of the older WTF forms does not have any kicks in it.

Poe Eun, an ITF 1st dan form, only has two kicks in it, side kicks to the knee.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Neither Chon Ji nor Dan Gun hyungs of the ITF form set have any kicks in them. Palgwe 1 of the older WTF forms does not have any kicks in it.

Poe Eun, an ITF 1st dan form, only has two kicks in it, side kicks to the knee.

If we're talking minimal kicking requirement rather than no kicks at all, you could also add:
Do San (low front kicks) and Toi Gye (low and middle front kicks).

Any particular reason you want to know skullsplitter?

skullsplitter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

As to why I ask this, my son has an interest in learning a little about Korean martial arts. We are in a Shotokan school, but the instructor encourages the school to learn a little about other styles. He's not a high kicker due to a muscular disease thus the need for a low emphasis on kicks.
Our instructor knows a few Korean forms, but none that suit him.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skullsplitter wrote:
Thanks everyone.

As to why I ask this, my son has an interest in learning a little about Korean martial arts. We are in a Shotokan school, but the instructor encourages the school to learn a little about other styles. He's not a high kicker due to a muscular disease thus the need for a low emphasis on kicks.
Our instructor knows a few Korean forms, but none that suit him.

In that case, check out Brian's excellent thread for some more info on forms across the TKD styles:
http://www.karateforums.com/tkd-forms-a-running-comparison-vt47646.html

A lot of the early forms borrow heavily from Shotokan kata and you and your son should see some familiar bits.

Pretty awesome your instructor encourages learning outside of Shotokan too. For your son you could always tailor the forms to his needs and swap out high front kicks for lower ones, high side kicks for kicks to the knee etc. as that's what I'd suggest for students in our dojang. The kicking action itself is more important than the height.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am offended that there is only a mention of Tae Kwon do in this thread. As a Tang Soo Do guy "primarily anyhow", I'm feeling a bit bullied here haha.

Seriously, I could reference some Tae Kwon Do forms as well but where's the fun in that. Tang Soo Do is a korean martial arts as well, less known, less popular indeed, but chuck Norris was very involved in this art as his primary art for a long time, how the heck is it so unheard of? Anyways, as to the topic, Korean forms with less kicks, kichu il,ee,Sam have no kicks in typical Tang Soo Do versions.

Also, even at the advanced levels there are really very few kicks. Take a common black belt form "Bassai Dae". A few kicks but not much emphasis on kicking compared to the other techniques. Check it out here: http://youtu.be/2uVXqpas3-0

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
I am offended that there is only a mention of Tae Kwon do in this thread. As a Tang Soo Do guy "primarily anyhow", I'm feeling a bit bullied here haha.

Seriously, I could reference some Tae Kwon Do forms as well but where's the fun in that. Tang Soo Do is a korean martial arts as well, less known, less popular indeed, but chuck Norris was very involved in this art as his primary art for a long time, how the heck is it so unheard of? Anyways, as to the topic, Korean forms with less kicks, kichu il,ee,Sam have no kicks in typical Tang Soo Do versions.

Also, even at the advanced levels there are really very few kicks. Take a common black belt form "Bassai Dae". A few kicks but not much emphasis on kicking compared to the other techniques. Check it out here: http://youtu.be/2uVXqpas3-0

I'm glad you chimed in. I've seen very few TSD forms (although we do Bassai Dae, also) to offer those up. Thanks for those.

* Said for comic effect* Most TKDoan don't think of TSD often because, even your highest ranking folks aren't even black belts.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcemanSK wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:

I'm glad you chimed in. I've seen very few TSD forms (although we do Bassai Dae, also) to offer those up. Thanks for those.

* Said for comic effect* Most TKDoan don't think of TSD often because, even your highest ranking folks aren't even black belts.

It's funny, the popularity of Tae Kwon Do is insane! I noticed that I write it in a different way than I generally see it as three separate words btw, but I did study the art myself and this is how we wrote it. I'm not sure if it matters too many. I can't tell you how many people I come across no matter what martial art they study, at some point they say they started out studying TKD. Many of them as a kid but nonetheless it's pretty crazy. I have picked up certain traits from my foundation in the art myself I have never gone away, and this has really helped me so I'm not knocking it by any means.

As far as TSD forms, if you do Bassai Dae in TKD I'm curious what others you do. That's strange to hear a TKD practitioner practicing Bassai, not because you shouldn't, but because it's just not common to my knowledge. How about "pyung ahn oh dan"? http://youtu.be/Y7Wb3y-1kYk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: