Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ascalon
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Koryu Uchinadi Reply with quote

Hi all. First post in the forum... signed up specifically to ask about this style of karate.

I'm a former TKD black belt returning to martial arts for the first time in quite a few years. I decided I wanted to give karate a go, unfortunately I don't live in a big city and the options are a little limited.

The main dojo in the city teaches this form of karate. Can anyone tell me a little more about this style, and how well regarded it is? I had never heard of it before and from a quick browse on the web it seems fairly modern. From what I can gather on their website, it doesn't seem to be a very 'pure' form of karate - there seems to be a fair few grappling techniques taught.

The local dojo has instructors with Shotokan and Kyokushin dan gradings (both of which are the styles I initially wanted to try). On the other hand, a couple of the others have backgrounds in GKR - which even I know is a pretty notorious McDojo.

Is koryu uchinadi a credible martial art in its own right? How transferable are the skills if I was to move out of the area and want to join (say) a kyokushin dojo?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sheephead
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Koryu Uchinadi Reply with quote

Good Style. Not Karate. McCarthy's own interpretation of .... well something.

DoctorQui
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Wado Ryu and Aikido

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly Ascalon, you are not a former TKD Black Belt, once you have a grade, its with you for life I'm afraid!

Secondly, what I tend to think and sometimes post in response to this sort of question is, even if you have read a bad rep, only you know if its worth pursuing, regardless of what style it is. Some people even find Shotokan not for them (shocking I know ) when they try it and that is a mainstream style. My advice is, just give it a go, you'll know pretty early on if you're wasting your time!

Ascalon
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoctorQui wrote:
Firstly Ascalon, you are not a former TKD Black Belt, once you have a grade, its with you for life I'm afraid!

Ha. If I was 10kg lighter and could remember any of my patterns, I'd be more comfortable with the title.

If I walked into a dojang tomorrow I would be more comfortable wearing a white belt.

DoctorQui wrote:
Secondly, what I tend to think and sometimes post in response to this sort of question is, even if you have read a bad rep, only you know if its worth pursuing, regardless of what style it is. Some people even find Shotokan not for them (shocking I know ) when they try it and that is a mainstream style. My advice is, just give it a go, you'll know pretty early on if you're wasting your time!

I think this is probably a good call. You're right, I will probably get a good feel for the dojo by attending a few classes. I just don't really want to start with a niche style that I can't pursue if I move out of the area (which I probably will in a few years).

It is interesting to hear that it is not a karate style. The dojo styles itself as a karate venue, but perhaps that is just marketing.

There is also a goju-ryu dojo in the area which seems a bit smaller and less well-funded, but I might try that out as well. The sensei there is also qualified in shotokan and kyushkin, and being a more traditional style it may be better in that sense.

Certainly, coming from a TKD background, the goju-ryu sparring seems more similar to what I'm familiar with than koryu uchinadi. I have never been much interested in joint attacks and grappling. Real men use striking.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Koryu Uchinadi Reply with quote

Ascalon wrote:
Hi all. First post in the forum... signed up specifically to ask about this style of karate.

I'm a former TKD black belt returning to martial arts for the first time in quite a few years. I decided I wanted to give karate a go, unfortunately I don't live in a big city and the options are a little limited.

The main dojo in the city teaches this form of karate. Can anyone tell me a little more about this style, and how well regarded it is? I had never heard of it before and from a quick browse on the web it seems fairly modern. From what I can gather on their website, it doesn't seem to be a very 'pure' form of karate - there seems to be a fair few grappling techniques taught.

The local dojo has instructors with Shotokan and Kyokushin dan gradings (both of which are the styles I initially wanted to try). On the other hand, a couple of the others have backgrounds in GKR - which even I know is a pretty notorious McDojo.

Is koryu uchinadi a credible martial art in its own right? How transferable are the skills if I was to move out of the area and want to join (say) a kyokushin dojo?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Koryu Uchinadi tends to have a good reputation. As I understand it, Koryu Uchinadi is a system that Patrick McCarthy developed based on his traditional karate training and his research into native Okinawan fighting arts (pre-karate), and it is highly dependent upon partner drills for conditioning, sensitivity, flow and practical combative applications. I imagine that every instructor is going to teach it differently and put different emphasis on the level of contact and resistance, even though they would largely rely on the same drills. Whether this style fits what you want out of training is a question only you can answer--go watch classes and talk to people at the dojo. If people from other typically well-respected styles go there, that's usually a pretty good sign, and people who trained in styles with a bad reputation that train there just means they wised up.

As far as transferable skills go, I am sure you that you will be able to transfer concepts of power generation and balance, and there may be some crossover in basic techniques but there will be a lot to re-learn if you move to another style.

Ascalon wrote:

There is also a goju-ryu dojo in the area which seems a bit smaller and less well-funded, but I might try that out as well. The sensei there is also qualified in shotokan and kyushkin, and being a more traditional style it may be better in that sense.

Certainly, coming from a TKD background, the goju-ryu sparring seems more similar to what I'm familiar with than koryu uchinadi. I have never been much interested in joint attacks and grappling. Real men use striking.

I think what is "traditional" depends on your sense of what that means--most karate that is considered "traditional" is teaching what was taught to Westerners post World War 2, which is generally restricted very much to block-punch-kick karate. Traditional karate DOES include joint locks/dislocations, chokes, pressure points and takedowns. What Patrick McCarthy is trying to do, as I understand it, is bring back the roots of what karate had been before it was watered down into a form of exercise and basic point sparring techniques.

As far as your last statement, that's just silly.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Last edited by Wastelander on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total

DoctorQui
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Wado Ryu and Aikido

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably selling yourself very short in respect of your TKD knowledge! I had a 17 year break from Karate and was very surprised at how much knowledge I retained when I went back.

I also know what you mean about a niche style and moving to an area where it isn't common. Sadly this can happen even in mainstream styles ...I was Wado Ryu, which is very common nationally but moved to an area where its all Shotokan and Goju Ryu. Fortunately Wado and Shoto are very similar so was able to continue at the same level!

Ascalon wrote:

It is interesting to hear that it is not a karate style. The dojo styles itself as a karate venue, but perhaps that is just marketing.

Have a look in the 'Creation Bias' thread for a more in depth discussion on what or isn't Karate. No one really has the right to say it isn't Karate, as every style is a creation or a founders interpretation on what Okinawan karate was.

Ascalon wrote:

Goju Ryu is a good style and probably one of the closest mainstream styles to the originals. As soon as I am 1st Dan Shotokan (soon hopefully) I am going to dabble in Goju Ryu in a local club, it looks interesting.

As the Nike slogan says 'Just do it!' its the only way you'll know!

Ascalon
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Koryu Uchinadi Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
I think what is "traditional" depends on your sense of what that means--most karate that is considered "traditional" is teaching what was taught to Westerners post World War 2, which is generally restricted very much to block-punch-kick karate. Traditional karate DOES include joint locks/dislocations, chokes, pressure points and takedowns. What Patrick McCarthy is trying to do, as I understand it, is bring back the roots of what karate had been before it was watered down into a form of exercise and basic point sparring techniques.

I guess by traditional I mean similar to the major forms of karate internationally. I use the term fairly loosely.

Wastelander wrote:

Humour check, dude.

Last edited by Ascalon on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:47 am; edited 2 times in total

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoctorQui wrote:
You're probably selling yourself very short in respect of your TKD knowledge! I had a 17 year break from Karate and was very surprised at how much knowledge I retained when I went back.

Funny thing about the martial arts is that, while your brain forgets, your muscles remember.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Koryu Uchinadi Reply with quote

Ascalon wrote:
Wastelander wrote:

I guess by traditional I mean similar to the major forms of karate internationally. I use the term fairly loosely.

Wastelander wrote:

Humour check, dude.

If you are wanting that type of "traditional" then I imagine Koryu Uchinadi would probably not be the ideal fit for you, but you really would have to visit the dojo and watch classes to find out. With regards to the humor check--if I didn't think you were joking I would have gone on a tirade. Instead I said you were silly
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid posts from everyone thus far!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: