Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Capt. Kiddie
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan/Kyokushin - Muay Thai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Kyokushin Conditioning For Body Shots Reply with quote

I have a question on body conditioning for Kyokushin.

So far, i have had people hit me in the stomach a lot. During sparring, even outside of sparring. Bareknuckle, with gloves, i even had a hammer used.

I usually take the shots with ease, but i do feel a little in my solar plexus. Not of a worry as long as i turn my obliques to meet the blow.

The question is - will this kind of conditioning have ill effects on my internal organs, and what happens to the abdominal muscles when it is punched?

So far, all has been well, i only feel a bit sore the next day after a harder punching session. Is it safe to continue like so?

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Sub Wrestling, Tai Chi, MMA, Medieval, Extreme Reaction Combat Scenarios (This is not a drill) Judo, formerly Mishima Style Karate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. Kiddie wrote:

So far, i have had people hit me in the stomach a lot. During sparring, even outside of sparring. Bareknuckle, with gloves, i even had a hammer used.

I usually take the shots with ease, but i do feel a little in my solar plexus. Not of a worry as long as i turn my obliques to meet the blow.

The question is - will this kind of conditioning have ill effects on my internal organs, and what happens to the abdominal muscles when it is punched?

So far, all has been well, i only feel a bit sore the next day after a harder punching session. Is it safe to continue like so?

It can have I'll effects, yes. Sometimes organs will tear when they are impacted hard enough, and then you are likely to have internal bleeding on your hands, possibly shock, especially when the liver is involved. Muscles can be damaged too, and a serious hematoma can get infected and take you out of commission for months sometimes.

It sounds like you aren't taking it that far, but I have seen first hand some world class stupidity when it comes to "conditioning." There exists around these parts a "coach" so horrible that he had new students throw inside leg kicks at each other until, the next day, their legs looked like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ken3Rocu9gU/TnDbm1aAjdI/AAAAAAAAALI/aAk9Qy0oqGc/s1600/hematoma3.JPG

I would have said something if I had been there when this was happening, as it stood I told them that that had been a horrible idea, that they shouldn't submit to dreadful coaching (advice they didn't heed), and ditched the place.

Anyway, being able to get hit and keep fighting is more of a mindset than anything. Knowing to exhale if getting hit is inevitable and what it feels like helps you not lock up when it happens in a fight, but if you get nailed in the liver hard you will go down, and constantly beating yourself up isn't going to give you D&D style damage resistance. Getting bigger muscles and a healthy sheathe of fat does that.

If you are frequently getting hit whilst sparring or fighting, you aren't doing it right. Hitting them without getting hit back is the objective.

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Sub Wrestling, Tai Chi, MMA, Medieval, Extreme Reaction Combat Scenarios (This is not a drill) Judo, formerly Mishima Style Karate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Kyokushin Conditioning For Body Shots Reply with quote

Capt. Kiddie wrote:

What? DO NOT LET PEOPLE HIT YOU WITH HAMMERS! For cryin' out loud.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
Capt. Kiddie wrote:

It can have I'll effects, yes. Sometimes organs will tear when they are impacted hard enough, and then you are likely to have internal bleeding on your hands, possibly shock, especially when the liver is involved. Muscles can be damaged too, and a serious hematoma can get infected and take you out of commission for months sometimes.

It sounds like you aren't taking it that far, but I have seen first hand some world class stupidity when it comes to "conditioning." There exists around these parts a "coach" so horrible that he had new students throw inside leg kicks at each other until, the next day, their legs looked like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ken3Rocu9gU/TnDbm1aAjdI/AAAAAAAAALI/aAk9Qy0oqGc/s1600/hematoma3.JPG

I would have said something if I had been there when this was happening, as it stood I told them that that had been a horrible idea, that they shouldn't submit to dreadful coaching (advice they didn't heed), and ditched the place.

Anyway, being able to get hit and keep fighting is more of a mindset than anything. Knowing to exhale if getting hit is inevitable and what it feels like helps you not lock up when it happens in a fight, but if you get nailed in the liver hard you will go down, and constantly beating yourself up isn't going to give you D&D style damage resistance. Getting bigger muscles and a healthy sheathe of fat does that.

If you are frequently getting hit whilst sparring or fighting, you aren't doing it right. Hitting them without getting hit back is the objective.

Solid post

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can add to Drew's post a story I have read on this forum in a different thread ... I think it was Karate injuries :

http://www.karateforums.com/karate-injuries-vt46375-30.html

The guy had 3 epigastric hernias after a strong punch to abdomen !!

Be smart and safe

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Kyokushin Conditioning For Body Shots Reply with quote

Capt. Kiddie wrote:

What type of methods are you thinking about applying or already applying?

Honestly, I'd check in with your doctor for the answer to your question. MAists will do the darnest thing to improve their MA betterment without caring about the long/short term of said training methods just as long as they can get positive results.

I'd be careful so that no irreversible damage occurs.

cheesefrysamurai
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not work on not leaving yourself open, be more fluid and move. Don't be a target.

I have the same issue, causes me to alter what I am doing, to move more, adjust my arm position, move my arms as so not to make my gut such an appetizing target, also, feign, and move.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....life is a risk, fighting by its definition is a risk!
Its going to hurt
we train to reduce the risk of injury
we train to be fit
we train to not fight!

Conditioning, its purpose is to get you used to the hit you failed to stop/block or evade !
Core , core and more core!...and when you are bored with that do core, core and more core!
...and make sure you move around and not be hit at all, be fluid be water!

Its easy to stand still and let people hit you, maybe even bounce around ...and let people hit you, its conditioning for sure yes I agree, but its worthless on its own!
Look at each fight and fighter as the guy that will tear you apart, that said if you now let him hit you.....when you come out of ER you can get your own back!

Its not a way of fighting!

There is an honor code, a quiet reserve, a certain level of respect and a quiet confidence to a true 'fighter' a Martial Artist!

This sounds aggressive, it's really not meant that way I am saying this as simply as I can nothing more than that;

Rethink your approach to combat, consider each strike you suffer a failure, then .. don't fail!

....life is a risk, fighting by its definition is a risk!
Its going to hurt
we train to reduce the risk of injury
we train to be fit
we train to not fight!

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone draws some kind of "honor" or generic karate morality/demeanor from their arts of war, Hawk. I train specifically to fight.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
Not everyone draws some kind of "honor" or generic karate morality/demeanor from their arts of war, Hawk. I train specifically to fight.
I agree with your sentiments here. Not everyone trains for the same reasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: