Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ein
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Kyokushin schools in Rhode Island area? Reply with quote

Hello, I've been interested in the Kyokushin style for years but could never bother to find a school because of lack of transportation and money, but now that I have both I can't seem to find any schools in my state. The closest Kyokushin dojos near my location are 40-50 miles away and driving for an hour to take classes is not possible for me.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of any Kyokushin schools near or in Rhode Island? I've been searching for about three weeks now and can't find anything. I would greatly appreciate any help.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how far this one is for you, it's in Ashland MA.

http://marubashidojo.com

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not from RI, so I don't know. There are many Kyokushin offshoots, as Kyokushin split quite a bit after Mas Oyama's death. Oyama Karate, Enshin and Ashihara are popular organizations that come to mind immediately. There's a ton of others, and many are local/not known unless you look closely. Your best bet would probably be to Google search karate schools in your area and look at where the instructors came from.

Besides that, what is it about Kyokushin that makes you want to try it? Full contact sparring, history, etc.?

Ein
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Hammer but that school is a 55 minutes drive from where I live. But that's the closest school I've seen so far.

JR I've always loved the history and technique of Kyokushin, especially the full contact sparring. I've tried searching for it's offshoots but I've found even less results. Most of the schools in my area are those Nick Cerio american kenpo schools. Almost zero full contact karate styles here.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search of Rhode Island karate brought up a Uechi Ryu school. Uechi Ryu is an old school Okinawan style. I've seen great Uechi Ryu and some less desirable. Uechi Ryu has been called the toughest body conditioning karate style. They spar very hard.

I tried a Uechi Ryu school when I was in college for a few classes. Definitely not what I've seen elsewhere. It all depends on the teacher. Look it up and have a visit IMO.

Here's what Uechi ryu's all about (a very small part)...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xYNqgiYHFlU

The free sparring I've seen is pretty intense too.

osssu1
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also live in RI. I looked for a long time for anything close to kyokushin. Never heard of anything other than that Murabashi Dojo that others have mentioned.. I mostly do Muay Thai now, but I miss Kyokushin. Let me know if you find anything
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: