Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyonovice wrote:
Its part if something called the world independent budokai who they are, I do not know.

Had to run a search on that, it appears to be a splinter of Kyokushinkai, and very proud of its heritage and art!
... they fight bare knuckle,
That will make you smile!

Looks to be in all tense and purposes to be a 'bona fide' Kyokushin organization!

They held there first world tournament in Oct 2013
Quote:
"1º TORNEIO INTERNACIONAL FULL CONTACT KYOKUSHIN

WORLD INDEPENDENT BUDOKAI"

According to the 'youtube video' I found!

Kyokushin refers to itself as the strongest karate, we focus a great deal on physical fitness, and body conditioning as I mentioned earlier the aim is to fight at 'Knockdown' level!
It test you body and when the body hurts its tests your mind to keep going!

You should enjoy this, so long as this is what you seek in a Martial Art that is!

Enjoy!

Kyonovice
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkmoon wrote:
Kyonovice wrote:
Its part if something called the world independent budokai who they are, I do not know.

Had to run a search on that, it appears to be a splinter of Kyokushinkai, and very proud of its heritage and art!
... they fight bare knuckle,
That will make you smile!

Looks to be in all tense and purposes to be a 'bona fide' Kyokushin organization!

They held there first world tournament in Oct 2013
Quote:
"1º TORNEIO INTERNACIONAL FULL CONTACT KYOKUSHIN

WORLD INDEPENDENT BUDOKAI"

According to the 'youtube video' I found!

Kyokushin refers to itself as the strongest karate, we focus a great deal on physical fitness, and body conditioning as I mentioned earlier the aim is to fight at 'Knockdown' level!
It test you body and when the body hurts its tests your mind to keep going!

You should enjoy this, so long as this is what you seek in a Martial Art that is!

Enjoy!

Yep, that looks like it could be fun (but brutal), not sure I will ever pull off some of those kicks though!

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll be fine, it should NOT be full on 100% from day one, it should be a steady build up through dojo sparring to point style fights (maybe) to clicker.

Clicker is fun and is the start of your Knockdown fight training, in time (and when graded and show the appropriate ability) Knockdown becomes normal every day life!

But as I mention that assumes this is what you are seeking form a Martial Art.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kyokushin Sparring Reply with quote

Hawkmoon wrote:
Hello Kyonovice!

I'll answer directly initially maybe we can build from there to be sure we go in the right direction!

You ask:
Quote:
"I have been told I am going to start doing some sparring soon in my lessons as, despite being a novice, it is needed for my first grading (is this true for most Kyokushin clubs?)"

For some yes, In my Kyokushin career I had to fight for each grade I attempted, my last grading I had 20 fights!
It is however, (nowadays) a club desire, some do fight for every grade, others only fight at high grades, say 4 or 5 kyu and above, it really depends on the club.

Quote:
"I've not done sparring in Kyokushin before and, having watched some clips of knockout sparring, it seems brutal!"

What you have most likely watched is national, European and most certainly world tournaments, which means you have been watching the very best fighters in the world, guys at the top of there game compete to be "the" best fighter in the world!
We do fight 'bare knuckle', where most other wear pads, we do not, Kyokushinkai was the very first 'official' system to fight 'bare knuckle'!

Quote:
"What can I expect?"

Dedicated teachers and students who will work with you, push you to be the very best you can be. The result will be a rewarding wholesome feeling, assuming it is what you are looking for.

We call the pinnacle of Kyokushin combat 'Knockdown', its called knock down because that is the whole point of the contest, to 'knockdown' the other guy.
There is a points aspect to 'knockdown' fights, an example would be a fighter is 'swept' to the floor and hte attacker follows up with a controlled attack. (Not a full punch for example) demonstrating there complete dominance of the other fighter.
A point , A wasari' might be awarded to the attacker.

Quote:

"... it was developed by someone who became a bit disconcerted with how knock down was going (2 guys slogging it out blow for blow) and introduced this system where by they still score points for a clean strike but the aim is to ultimately knock down your opponent."

This guys name and title was Sosai Mas Oyama, he was 'upset' about how 'fights' were performed, and famously undertook to change that and to that end he worked hard to develop a new fighting art, which for a while was called 'Oyama' karate and he went around other dojos to test it and him self.

In time he changed the name from Oyama karate to 'Kyokushinkai'.

Quote:
"So, what can I expect?"

A truly great system that if you persist in will reward you and fill you, you body, your soul with a massive sense of achievement.
Quote:

"What "rules" are there and what equipment should I really have?"

There are rules, my first tournament had me study a booklet, 5 pages or so talking about what could be done and what was not allowed.
They are clear and as there are different groups of Kyokushin organisations, the rule do vary between them, so the real answer is it depends on which one you join.

As to equipment, well thats a Gi (karate suit), a box(protect the man bits) and you... yup that's it covered all your equipment!

Osu!!

I always liked your in-depth posts Hawkmoon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: