Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kyonovice
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Kyokushin Sparring Reply with quote

Hi everyone

First post.

I have been told I am going to start doing some sparring soon in my lessons as, despite being a novice, it is needed for my first grading (is this true for most Kyokushin clubs?)

I've not done sparring in Kyokushin before and, having watched some clips of knockout sparring, it seems brutal! What can I expect? I Have been told by Sensei that it's points knockout and that it was developed by someone who became a bit disconcerted with how knock down was going (2 guys slogging it out blow for blow) and introduced this system where by they still score points for a clean strike but the aim is to ultimately knock down your opponent.

So, what can I expect? What "rules" are there and what equipment should I really have???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a ton of Kyokushin groups nowadays doing a lot of different things. The only way to know what to expect is to ask your sensei. We'd all be guessing.

Kyonovice
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will speak to him when I next go training. I am little apprehensive about it to be fair, not done full contact before!

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this depends on the school, but where I go the sparring during a shinsa for lower ranks is "spirited contact" which is enough to make you feel it but not enough to leave lasting marks.

Worst I had on my last test where I did several rounds was a shot in the solar plexus that I didn't evade/deflect or prepare for...was winded for a few seconds.

What level of kumite have you done so far? Most times in class we only go light contact (to learn and not worry about getting injured).

Kyonovice
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer wrote:
I'm sure this depends on the school, but where I go the sparring during a shinsa for lower ranks is "spirited contact" which is enough to make you feel it but not enough to leave lasting marks.

Worst I had on my last test where I did several rounds was a shot in the solar plexus that I didn't evade/deflect or prepare for...was winded for a few seconds.

What level of kumite have you done so far? Most times in class we only go light contact (to learn and not worry about getting injured).

Only ever done "semi contact" before which watered down to pulling the technique before impact.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
There are a ton of Kyokushin groups nowadays doing a lot of different things. The only way to know what to expect is to ask your sensei. We'd all be guessing.

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

I wholeheartedly concur!!

I believe that you'll be slowing introduced into sparing, and that you'd not be going full throttle until the appropriate time, and not sooner.

Please let us know how things are going!

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...guess I've always thought of Kyokushin sparring as being more knockdown than points-based. Our variations in class have more to do with the level of contact than the tactics.

I did point sparring (no to light contact) in TKD and it's quite different from what I do in Kyokushin...and not just because Kyokushin doesn't allow hand techniques to the head.

Kyonovice
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

I believe that you'll be slowing introduced into sparing, and that you'd not be going full throttle until the appropriate time, and not sooner.

Ossu

Will do, hopefully my sensei does ease me in gently as I don't particularly want to end up black and blue

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyonovice wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

Ossu

Will do, hopefully my sensei does ease me in gently as I don't particularly want to end up black and blue

Fastest way to lose students is to make them black and blue; conditioning is important and a beginner isn't conditioned. Old school mindset was...condition WHILST being made black and blue. However, that mindset, has changed, not entirely, to protect the student and the student body. Not the physical body, but the number of students enrolled in a dojo.

I can't emphasis enough, and I agree with JR 137...ask YOUR SENSEI!!

Kyonovice
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will speak to him on Friday
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: