Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bassaiguy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice Shotokan and before that Moo Duk Kwan, it's Korean nephew. And, while I have great respect for other styles, there are reasons why I prefer the Shotokan way. That said, my sparring with other karateka has led me to incorporate some drills into my training. Specifically, I start every class with conditioning drills to forearms (inside and outside), abdomen/chest, punches to the upper arms (shoulders and elbows) and thigh kicking. These drills are traditional in Goju and Kyokushin dojo. After that, my classes are 100% Shotokan. I think if a Kyokushin dude was open minded he or she would incorporate Shotokan's jodan attacks and ashi barai to be a more complete fighter.

I was very gratified once to have sparred with an Isshin ryu karateka (full contact Okinawan style) who complemented me on my ability to stop his close range attacks and throws. It was no credit to me. I was just doing Shotokan.

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

evergrey
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: kyokushin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodan hand attacks?

bassaiguy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, hand attacks. I've seen Kyokushin head kicks - dangerous!

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evergrey wrote:

Jodan hand attacks?

Punches to the head, I believe, is what he's saying. Not actually attacking the hands.

bassaiguy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I can be thick sometimes. Yes on punches to the head; no on attacking the kid raising his hand to ask a question. Good thing evergrey has a sense of humor and ps1 is able to translate idiot to English.

evergrey
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, don't worry, I'm thick too- I meant striking the head with hands, open or closed. Like, I am not sure I'd call an uraken or a shuto a punch, exactly...

My dojo does controlled head punches with MMA gloves. I've had split lip soup for lunch there once or twice, haha! I mean in a street fight, of course people are going to go for your head. Body strikes can work on someone totally unconditioned and untrained because they don't know how to tighten to protect themselves, probably, but really it's a lot easier to take someone out by getting 'em good in the head.

OSU!

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyokushin trains punches to the head and facial area, it's just not allowed in knockdown fighting. Many organizations now incorporate sparring with light gloves as evergrey mentioned, and there has been events like K2 and Shinkarate around for several years now. An old, outdated argument.

Kyokushin has also had ashi barai since the beginning. Shokei Matsui is phenomenal at executing them.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuma wrote:
Kyokushin trains punches to the head and facial area, it's just not allowed in knockdown fighting. Many organizations now incorporate sparring with light gloves as evergrey mentioned, and there has been events like K2 and Shinkarate around for several years now. An old, outdated argument.

Kyokushin has also had ashi barai since the beginning. Shokei Matsui is phenomenal at executing them.

Totally agree here!!!

Head shots are trained in Ashihara and Enshin and other offshots too, but it was Oyama Sosai who took them out of competition to prolong the bouts.
I must add a punch to the head is the most easy strike to accomplish, I know even an untrained Yob can hit someone in the face!

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree. Humans instinctively guard their noggins. That's where the best off switches are. Most of the times I've had to wave someone off, it's been a body shot after a high punch misses. I'm rarely caught in the jaw.

I must agree that an untrained Yob can punch you in the face. But I also say that if you train that Yob, he'll be better at punching you in the face.

bassaiguy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't saying that there are no sweeps in Kyokushin; just like it would be ignorant to say there is no contact sparring in Shotokan. What I believe, however, is that each style emphasizes some things more than others. One of the things that high-level Shotokan fighters seem to do very well is to integrate ashi barai with very clean and hard hitting techniques. Pointing to one technician to make the case that all knockdown karate fighters have good sweeps is like pointing to Kanazawa's and Enoeda's (Shotokan) very hard kumite in the 70s and 80s to try to demonstrate that all Shotokan fighters are as physical. Neither exception proves the rule.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: