Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Level of Competency; Nidan to Sandan Reply with quote

Over the weekend my dojo we held our Senior Black Belt Grading, and had our first student grading for Sandan.

Why am I creating this thread? I am curious to know what is the level of competency and overall requirements to considering a Passing Grade.

Do they have to be able to perform at a certain intensity for the whole time, or something else?

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Level of Competency; Nidan to Sandan Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Over the weekend my dojo we held our Senior Black Belt Grading, and had our first student grading for Sandan.

Why am I creating this thread? I am curious to know what is the level of competency and overall requirements to considering a Passing Grade.

Do they have to be able to perform at a certain intensity for the whole time, or something else?

It really depends on your arts requirements for rank and how they perceive the rank.
I can not speak for other arts but for mine there is a pretty stark difference between Nidan and Sandan. The two hardest ranks to pass are Shodan (the culminations of all Mudansha requirements and the proficiency of) and Sandan (the first rank at which we are considered for instructing others).
Our art holds a very high degree of competency with regard to the rank. Not only must you prove a high degree of proficiency of the ranks that precede this rank and the curriculum, history, terminology, etc, etc, but you must also prove that you are able to efficiently pass on this knowledge to others.
This is not just a one time test but an interviewing process if you will. You are expected to teach for a year, supervised and srcutinised, before being allowed to test for this rank. When you are accepted you must teach before the board and be passed on to be able to take the actual rank exam.
The exam itself typically takes a good day to two days to complete.
I hope that helps or at least gives you some insight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: