Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Karate Guy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Traditional Okinawan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Looking for a school Reply with quote

Hi all, My name is Andy I'm brand new to the forum.

Here is a little background on my martial arts experience. I have studied in one school that taught a traditional Okinawan white crane style karate. The style consisted mainly Goju-Ryu but also had some Shorin-Ryu and Ueichi-Ryu influence as well. The instructor (a good friend of mine) really stressed the importance of kata, bunkai and the basics. Some of the kata in this system are very old. My Sensei teaches these kata as they were, or as close as he can get. He was/is old school and trained his karateka very hard. He is a very humble man and teaches his karateka to be the same. I studied with him for about 4 1/2 to 5 years and attained the rank of Ikkyu at the age of 23.

Then, life happened as it does with most of us. I moved from Illinois to Tucson, Arizona. I got married, had kids, and now a full 18+ years later, I would like to start martial arts again. I am out of shape but fairly active.

Some things I am not interested in include commercialized schools, tournaments, and 40 ranks to get to Shodan. That last one may be an exaggeration but you get my point. I'm not saying these things are bad, but they are just not for me or what I'm looking for.

I am looking for a small school much like I studied. Traditional Okinawan kata and training methods. I am having some difficulty finding it in my area, so I figured I would ask. I appreciate any help.

Arigato Gozaimasu

Andy

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF, Andy; glad that you're here!!

This link might be of some use for you...

http://kaizenkan.com/instructors/

Good luck in your search, and I look forward to your future posts here at KF!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost welcome to KF Andy.

We do not have schools in Arizona or I would send you to one of them. Finding a school that is traditional "Old School" that concentrates on Kata, Bunkai, Tuidi, Tegumi, Kyusho, Ti'gwa and the like is hard to do but not impossible. Google search the local schools and go and visit them. A lot of times you can just look at website and get a really good feel for the school and what it holds important. Nothing however replaces in person visits to local schools. You are able to ask direct questions and see for yourself what the school is all about.
If you do visit schools make sure to be direct and ask questions of the instructor. Watch more than one class and of different grades. You will get a pretty good feel and will be able to make a good decision before joining.

Another, albeit harder, route is to talk to locals. You may end up finding an instructor that teaches out of his house or church and only has a few students.

I don't envy you but I do wish you luck.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Karate Guy.

I just did a quick google search of "Tucson AZ Martial Arts" and a LOT of places showed up. I didn't look at any of the individual websites, but just going by the number of places, I'm quite sure you'll be able to find what you're looking for.

The best advice I can give is make a list of places that are geographically accessible, the schedule works for you, and you can afford. Visit as many of those as you realistically can. I'm a karate guy too (no pun intended on your user name), but it may not hurt to look into a few other styles - I think a saw a few Judo dojos and several BJJ dojos.

The most important things, as I'm sure you found out back in the day, are the teacher, how he/she teaches, and who you'll train alongside. These things will make or break your experience.

I too took about 15 years off from training. Life happened, and when I came back to the area and was able to train consistently, my former sensei moved the dojo too far away for me to pick up where I left off. When I started looking around, I think I was too hung up on reliving my past MA experience. I initially compared everything to it. When I realized that was impossible, the choice became easy because one place really stood out. It felt like home. To be honest, my current teacher is a better teacher than my former teacher FOR ME. They're different, but I feel like I've improved more under my current teacher than my previous one. I think my former teacher was better for me during that phase of my life though. I miss the guys I trained with; we were college aged guys who hit hard and tried to outdo each other, only in a positive way. We pushed each other and made each other better. We fought with each other instead of against each other.

Being 40, I won't find that again. But at 40, I'm probably too old for that too. The people I currently train with are just as good, but different. At this point in my life, they're a better fit for me.

I guess the moral of the story is don't look for your old dojo; you'll never find it. Even if you move back home, it'll be different.

Also, don't judge a dojo by its website. MAists typically aren't the best website-ists. I've seen so many horrible websites for great dojos, and vice-versa. If I relied on websites, I wouldn't step foot into either dojo I've trained at, and I'd easily be at the local McDojo. Websites are typically good for location, schedule/hours, and sometimes prices. And in extreme circumstances identifying questionable credentials.

Visit a bunch of places. I'm sure you'll find a place that feels like home. You may have to look at a lot of different places, but you'll find it.

Karate Guy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Traditional Okinawan Karate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to thank everyone for the input.

sensei8: I will definitely check out that link and their dojo.

MatsuShinshii: Your exactly right! The search is going to be very difficult. I will take your advice and just get out and talk to people.

JR 137: I also appreciate your input. It may just be time to write another chapter in my MA career. I would rather not stray away from a traditional art though. Studying 300 year old kata is what interested me in the MA's to begin with. I feel the need to add to what I have learned and pass on the traditions to the next generation as a sense of responsibility. But, your right, things do change with time. I just need to find something that feels like home and run with it.

I definitely appreciate all the sage advice you all have given. If anyone else would like to chime in please feel free.

Andy

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you should ever get to Phoenix, AZ, I'd suggest that you drop into Wastelanders dojo where he trains. Like I said, IF you ever get to Phoenix, AZ, which is a mere 120 approximate miles west of Tuscan, AZ, you could train there; I believe they have everything that you're looking for.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
If you should ever get to Phoenix, AZ, I'd suggest that you drop into Wastelanders dojo where he trains. Like I said, IF you ever get to Phoenix, AZ, which is a mere 120 approximate miles west of Tuscan, AZ, you could train there; I believe they have everything that you're looking for.

Great weekend training idea, for sure!

The best thing you can do is make a list of the places that are available, and start making visits to the dojo's during class times. Instructors should allow you to watch a class. If they don't, I'd scratch them off the list, but that's just me. And don't just watch one class. Go to a few of the classes, to see if they differ from one to the next. Last of all, ask the CI questions, especially those geared towards the kind of training you are looking for. This is the best way to get pointed in the right direction.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know that there are a couple Shotokan dojo, a Shindo-Jinen-Ryu dojo, and a Kyokushin dojo down in Tucson, but I'm afraid I don't know them, personally. The instructor of the Kyokushin dojo seems very nice, though, from my Sensei's discussions with him. Those are all Japanese styles, though, and often those have a tendency to place a great deal of emphasis on solo kata without bunkai, endless kihon, and sport-style kumite. That may not be the case with these dojo, of course, but you will have to visit and watch classes to find out.

And, as sensei8 kindly pointed out, you would be welcome to stop by out dojo if you ever come up to Scottsdale!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: