Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one can truly tell you if what they're doing is right or wrong. Even if what they're doing is right, that doesn't make it right for your kids.

Kids learn best by play; the younger they are, the more they truly benefit from it IMO. I say this as a school teacher who teaches middle school science and has taught grades K-12 physical education.

You have your concerns, which you should take seriously. Parental instincts are a strong thing. Look at other dojos. You have the benefit of being better informed now that you have some experience. You may find a dojo that checks nearly all of the boxes in your priority list. You may find that where you are is actually the best place.

It doesn't matter how "good" the dojo is. If it's not a good fit, it's not for you. What's the point in a $5000 hand made suit that's the best that money can buy if it doesn't fit right?

Forget about style of martial arts too. As you're learning, the only style that should be of primary importance is the teacher's teaching style.

No idea about price. If that's within the going rate of your locale, then it is what it is.

Some questions you may want to ask your prospective dojos...
Who will be teaching them?
How many students will be in class at once?
Are ranks seperated with their own classes or do they split up in the same classes?
How many classes going on simultaneously?
Are other activities outside of day in and day out training sponsored by the dojo/held at the dojo?
How often to they promote on average?
Does the school compete and if so how often/when/where?
What are the costs other than tuition?
Can you train with them and/or in seperate classes?

Finding an approachable teacher who is genuinely willing to answer any questions you have (and not tell you things to sell you on their school) and runs a class the way you think it should be run is most of the battle.

There are so many dojos where I live, and so very few that I'd want my kids to attend. Having personal experience with karate makes the decision so much easier for me. When they're ready, they'll come to the dojo I'm at. It's all about what fits your kids best, not what everyone thinks is the best dojo.

There's a dojo 2 blocks from where I work. Several of my students attend there. On paper it's perfect for kids - after school program, playground (not kidding), homework area, large choice in uniforms, social activities outside the dojo, and more. The teaching leaves a lot to be desired - multiple classes at the same time, older kids teaching classes, the head instructor doesn't teach the kids often, if at all, various clubs that cost extra, levels of membership. Most of all, the place is an absolute zoo. Extremely loud, kids everywhere with the soccer moms (actually Tae Kwon do moms) drinking Starbucks coffee in the background and bragging about how their kids are the star of the dojo, and on and on. I was there for about 2 minutes before I had a pounding headache. Then there was the sales pitch and refusal to tell me the price until after a private assessment by an instructor and 2 free classes. It's a daycare that holds Tae Kwon do classes. I've heard several people say it's the best dojo around. I have a different opinion and priorities altogether.

Rich98
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm must thanks for all the advice guys, a lot has really hit home. Most of what you said JR 137 immediately reminds me of what I'm seeing now.

Its a fairly small dojo with only one room and a waiting area but with 10 students in there you can barely swing a cat so you can imagine what its like when you have 4 groups of 2 - 3 people all spread out swinging fists and kicks in various directions. My wife attended a couple of times and couldn't make any sense of what was going on.

I think now that I have spoken to you guys, I know what sort of questions I really need to be asking. Wish I had know this prior to spend in excess of £600 on this lessons and clothing

I've managed to locate a couple other Dojo's and a similar distance so gonna pop in and see what they are like in comparison.

Really appreciate it guys!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you watch them, go back and observe a few more times. What you see one day could be atypical, in a good way or bad way. Kind of like they say you should drive by a house several times, and at all different times to get a sense of the neighborhood before buying the house.

Keep the kids where they are for the time being. And it isn't a total loss; I'm sure they enjoyed some aspects of it, learned some skills, and stayed out of trouble.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
After you watch them, go back and observe a few more times. What you see one day could be atypical, in a good way or bad way. Kind of like they say you should drive by a house several times, and at all different times to get a sense of the neighborhood before buying the house.

Keep the kids where they are for the time being. And it isn't a total loss; I'm sure they enjoyed some aspects of it, learned some skills, and stayed out of trouble.

Solid advice.

Kanku65
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, shotokan is quite popular in the UK.
I don't know about your particular region, but several shotokan karate organizations exist.
JKA
SKIF
ISKF
KUGB
The list goes on...
Check out their regional links, or just google shotokan in your area.
Or, place them into another style altogether.
I apologize, but I just don't see any benefit with the class time dedicated to training in your children's situation.
At my dojo it is...
5 minute warm up.
1 hour, 15 minutes karate training.
5 minute warm down.
The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?
- Master Funakoshi

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich98, to echo Titanium, try other dojos.

I'll add, have a go yourself, the kids will love you for it and it'll guide you as well when making the final choice on what one is done in the end.

A student, no matter the age has to feel 'right' when running around in a funny suit that look s more like pyjamas than a warriors uniform, oh! and lets not forget the funny sounds we have to make ... sure the kids will enjoy 'SHOUTING' and not being told to 'sshhhh!!' but the fact remains this 'stuff is as alien as it's going to get for the first few lessons, so it must feel right!

If it feels right they'll enjoy it, if they enjoy it then they will get loads out if it! ( ... so will you!)

Rich98
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From what I understand, shotokan is quite popular in the UK.
I don't know about your particular region, but several shotokan karate organizations exist.
JKA
SKIF
ISKF
KUGB
The list goes on...
Check out their regional links, or just google shotokan in your area.
Or, place them into another style altogether.
I apologize, but I just don't see any benefit with the class time dedicated to training in your children's situation.
At my dojo it is...
5 minute warm up.
1 hour, 15 minutes karate training.
5 minute warm down.

I think you've pretty much nailed it, we had a class yesterday that I timed as being 9 mins of Karate, 2 of which the instructor spent looking at paper work. It was mainly younger pupils in so there seemed to be a lot more games and exercise which is fine but the kids already get to do all that at home.

At the current rate of training I'm not likely to see any progress anytime soon. I managed to locate another Dojo not to far from me on KUGB.org and I'm due to pop in this weekend. I'll be honest I feel a bit bad if I do decide to move them as the Sensei genuinely a nice guy but he's just not there often enough and there seems to be a lack of focus as a consequence.

Quote:
Hi Rich98, to echo Titanium, try other dojos.

I'll add, have a go yourself, the kids will love you for it and it'll guide you as well when making the final choice on what one is done in the end.

A student, no matter the age has to feel 'right' when running around in a funny suit that look s more like pyjamas than a warriors uniform, oh! and lets not forget the funny sounds we have to make ... sure the kids will enjoy 'SHOUTING' and not being told to 'sshhhh!!' but the fact remains this 'stuff is as alien as it's going to get for the first few lessons, so it must feel right!

If it feels right they'll enjoy it, if they enjoy it then they will get loads out if it! ( ... so will you!)

I'd love to but I'm working 45 hour weeks, leave's me with just enough energy to tolerate the wife =)

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take this the wrong way, please...

If you've got enough time to watch their classes, you've got enough time to get on the floor with them. Just saying.

Not to push you into something you don't want to do.

Rich98
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not at all, I just don't have the energy. I can just about stay awake half the time

Maybe in the near future if I change jobs and start to take it a little easier but as the main earner, gotta get those hours in to pay the bills.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

All in all, you've received some pretty solid advice thus far!! What has gotten my attention is that your Sensei, the Chief Instructor (CI), is hardly in-house at the dojo, and that the assistant instructors are teaching the bulk of the curriculum. I might of missed the reason(s) as to why, so, why is that??

For me, that's enough for me to search for another dojo asap!! Imho, the future of the dojo is questionable, because, as good as the assistants are, they're not the Sensei/CI, who's knowledge surpasses the assistants by miles; students WANT TO BE TAUGHT BY THE SENSEI/CI, and not by the assistants because the assistants, just aren't in the same league as the CI.

A disinterested Sensei would show me that I, as a student, am not that important to the Sensei!! I'm sure that the assistants are qualified, but that is limited, and those assistants must wonder when THEIR next lesson might be.

Red lights and sirens, all at the same time, for me. Can't spend a ton of time at the dojo, then close it. I wonder why he even opened the dojo in the first place if he's rarely in-house!!

Imho!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: