Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Losing my main tools Reply with quote

I have years invested into an art that is very heavily based on the use of midline kicks at the abdomen and rib level. At the time, for various reasons, my normal clothing and such worked well for that, and the climate and such was suited for the other techniques and such in the art.
Now, because of somewhat different reasons related to changes in my life and the like, I spend the vast majority of my time wearing long skirts that, while being pretty comfortable and nonrestrictive for footwork and deep stances and the like, are a little bit too restrictive to do midline kicks in. We use very nonstandard breakfalls and the like, so there is no easy way to switch to a closely related art for more work on throws/takedowns.

Suggestions?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being a person who wears skirts and dresses, I do not know the answer to this, but are there skirts and dresses that are cut differently, which would allow you to continue the use of the techniques you are accustomed to? If not, then perhaps modifications could be made to existing ones? Aside from that, the only thing I could think of would be a style switch to something more suitable to your clothing.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Losing my main tools Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
I have years invested into an art that is very heavily based on the use of midline kicks at the abdomen and rib level. At the time, for various reasons, my normal clothing and such worked well for that, and the climate and such was suited for the other techniques and such in the art.
Now, because of somewhat different reasons related to changes in my life and the like, I spend the vast majority of my time wearing long skirts that, while being pretty comfortable and nonrestrictive for footwork and deep stances and the like, are a little bit too restrictive to do midline kicks in. We use very nonstandard breakfalls and the like, so there is no easy way to switch to a closely related art for more work on throws/takedowns.

Suggestions?

I would tell you that there is no need to kick above the abdomen. There are too many targets south of the chest to take the chance on kicking any higher. High kicks are great for showing off but do to the danger of being caught, taken down or kicked in the privates, there is no reason to do this in real life, not to mention the reduction in power and balance.
As far as take downs/throws, I was unable to follow why these are now an issue. I take it you are looking to learn more throws but your outer garments are an issue?

If this is the case buy looser clothing or wear a Gi which is not restricting at all.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your profile lists capoeira. Is this what you're currently training and referring to?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Losing my main tools Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
JusticeZero wrote:

Suggestions?

I would tell you that there is no need to kick above the abdomen. There are too many targets south of the chest to take the chance on kicking any higher. High kicks are great for showing off but do to the danger of being caught, taken down or kicked in the privates, there is no reason to do this in real life, not to mention the reduction in power and balance.
As far as take downs/throws, I was unable to follow why these are now an issue. I take it you are looking to learn more throws but your outer garments are an issue?

If this is the case buy looser clothing or wear a Gi which is not restricting at all.

Yeah...what MatsuShinshii, has posted!! Don't, if you can help it, kick mid-level, kick low; many targets there to choose from!!

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the issue is that one, probably about half the clothes I am acquiring are restrictive enough that kicking to the abdomen is iffy. We don't usually kick above the floating ribs, but we don't do leg kicks either, and kicking to the abdomen can behave oddly in a skirt. Even if it is not too restrictive, it creates a tether connecting the ankles that takes space which has to be cleared. There's probably some neat ways to take advantage of that, but I cannot think of any. Plus, it changes how the base feels. We have throws, but not a lot of work with them. Mostly just a couple that are unusually obvious based on tactics.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short of it all is that you have to wear what is comfortable and looks good on you, BUT at the very same time, freedom of movement can't be restricted!! If the clothes you wear are restricting your freedom of movement, then things that you don't normally do, become those things of normalcy too, directly out of need.

You don't to leg kicks...fine!! In the moment of self-defense, you'll do leg kicks in order to save your life, I'm sure of that.

And if need be, just don't kick at all; relying on your other tools!!

Wear clothes that DON'T restrict movement!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say sweats would be good for kicking in. If you are talking about clothing that you can kick in and wear to work on a professional level, that I'm not sure on. There ought to be some slacks out there that you could find that might help and be little less restrictive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: