Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Love to fight, but don't like to spar? Reply with quote

I was wondering if i'm the only one who's like this...I love getting into the ring/cage...but for some reason, I'm not the biggest fan of full contact sparring. I do it, but it's not something I enjoy most times... just wondering if that's just me?

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that those with poor conditioning have a particularly hard time enjoying or simply preparing properly for a fight. Does that make sense? I'm not saying by the way that applies to you. Just sharing an observation.
Personally I thoroughly enjoy sparring but am not surprised by your comment as I've known others who feel the same way.
Interestingly, I find that preparing for a fight or a competition is infinitely more grueling than the fight itself. I happen to like the pain.

Last edited by Archimoto on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Love to fight, but don't like to spar? Reply with quote

chrissyp wrote:
I was wondering if i'm the only one who's like this...I love getting into the ring/cage...but for some reason, I'm not the biggest fan of full contact sparring. I do it, but it's not something I enjoy most times... just wondering if that's just me?

Haven't really been in a competitive fight (apart from a small, friendly grappling tournament that I don't think really counts), so I can't tell you how much I like fighting, but sparring is my favourite part of training. The harder the more fun I have because I can really just let go and rely on instinct. however I'm also very apprehensive about sparring hard and so don't do it often. Might that be why you don't like it? from what I've heard, the medical problems that (retired) fighters experience have more to do with the hits they take during training than in the ring, so maybe you don't like it because it worries you?

Last edited by guird on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competition gets you amped up and floods your body with adrenaline and endorphins, so you're partially numb. Sparring is nowhere near as high-stress, so you feel those kicks and punches a lot more. Honestly, we only spar medium-contact or less, and save heavier contact for competition--it cuts down on injuries, and gets more people to spar more often. I'm not terribly fond of sparring, myself, but I understand its value, so I do it anyway.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Love to fight, but don't like to spar? Reply with quote

chrissyp wrote:

I'm guessing the adrenaline plays a factor?

Personally, I love sparring in class and sparring hard. In the ring not so much. I love competing... right up until that point the referee says go then the adrenaline dumps and I feel sluggish and out of shape and I can't wait for the minutes to be up

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that you're alone in your feelings. Many factors will play into your decision(s) as to which one you prefer. If it's one or another, or if it's in both, than that's your decision to make, and for that, I respect your choice because it's a personal choice, and it's your MA journey.

I love BOTH!! I've been accused of being "strange that way", and it's because while I might get "scored" upon, hehehehehe, I will get a turn!! I'm a junkie that way when it comes to ALL aspects of kumite/sparring/fighting/etc; the more intense, the more I want it!!

You're fine in how you feel!! Now, go train hard!!

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
...I'm not terribly fond of sparring, myself, but I understand its value, so I do it anyway.

What Wastelander says here is the key to sparring of any kind (not cage fights like you mentioned). Understanding the value/purpose of sparring will change your disposition towards it at least a little bit and hopefully enhance your sparring experience, as well, so that you get the most out of it.

The primary concepts taught through sparring are distancing and feeling what it's like to have a moving target in front of you that strikes back. One thing you may want to do if you haven't learned already is ask your instructor what the purpose of sparring is in your dojo.

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can have one, sparring, and not have the other, fighting. One compliments the other while one's training in one or the other, imho.

fatihfetih
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: kyokushin Reply with quote

İ thing kyokushin karate mixed whit wrestling and boxing will be the best style ever... Mma... İ don't like it when 2 man are on the ground.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: kyokushin Reply with quote

fatihfetih wrote:
İ thing kyokushin karate mixed whit wrestling and boxing will be the best style ever... Mma... İ don't like it when 2 man are on the ground.

Welcome to KF; glad that you're there!!

I understand what you're saying, however, many fights end up on the ground. Ground work, imho, needs to be paid attention to by MAists of all styles of the MA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: