Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dani_001 wrote:
Thank you very much for your post.

My journey began in "Goju-Ryu", now the reason why I put it in quotation marks was because the organization I was with initially did not teach authentic Goju-Ryu. I was an adolescent at the time and had absolutely no idea what martial arts was, moreover what authentic martial arts was. All I knew was that I didn't want to be fat and bullied anymore.

In later years I have been with Chinese Shaolin, I left because I felt forced into beliefs that I didn't believe in, then went onto Pukulan Melaka Seni Silat. I really enjoyed that, but the instructor was a * so I left that. Then I found Okinawa Goju-Ryu Karate-do Kyokai with which I am now. I quite enjoy OGKK but I am missing an element of fighting in my Karate. I have recently come across Ashihara Karate, the first Ashihara Karate. I actually went for an introductory class last night (22/05/2017) and I really enjoyed it. Ashihara is a Japanese form of Karate but it's very effective in handling and attacking. But I do however love the kata in Goju-Ryu Karate-do. This all being said, I want to do both systems. Time isn't an issue for me to go to class and adaptations in both forms are minute. An example is that Ashihara rising block isn't a total vertical as in OGKK, but at a slight vertical angle upwards.

So that's a mouthful from me. What is worrying now is that I don't want to become a jack of all trades and a master of none given of my history and yes I know I sound like a problem child even though all my reasons are valid, but at least in this case, Japanese Karate is (almost) Okinawa Karate.

What are your thoughts on this?

I cross-trained for some time and I think that is beneficial; but to get the most benefit from this, the two arts should be different. You can associate a traditional martial art with a modern self defence-art, a grappling art with a striking art, an internal MA with a purely external martial art. Doing two art which are "similar" may also create interference and the benefit is limited.

This is my 2 eurocets anyhow.

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Okinawa Goju-Ryu Karatedo Kyokai

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

italian_guy wrote:
Dani_001 wrote:
Thank you very much for your post.

My journey began in "Goju-Ryu", now the reason why I put it in quotation marks was because the organization I was with initially did not teach authentic Goju-Ryu. I was an adolescent at the time and had absolutely no idea what martial arts was, moreover what authentic martial arts was. All I knew was that I didn't want to be fat and bullied anymore.

In later years I have been with Chinese Shaolin, I left because I felt forced into beliefs that I didn't believe in, then went onto Pukulan Melaka Seni Silat. I really enjoyed that, but the instructor was a * so I left that. Then I found Okinawa Goju-Ryu Karate-do Kyokai with which I am now. I quite enjoy OGKK but I am missing an element of fighting in my Karate. I have recently come across Ashihara Karate, the first Ashihara Karate. I actually went for an introductory class last night (22/05/2017) and I really enjoyed it. Ashihara is a Japanese form of Karate but it's very effective in handling and attacking. But I do however love the kata in Goju-Ryu Karate-do. This all being said, I want to do both systems. Time isn't an issue for me to go to class and adaptations in both forms are minute. An example is that Ashihara rising block isn't a total vertical as in OGKK, but at a slight vertical angle upwards.

So that's a mouthful from me. What is worrying now is that I don't want to become a jack of all trades and a master of none given of my history and yes I know I sound like a problem child even though all my reasons are valid, but at least in this case, Japanese Karate is (almost) Okinawa Karate.

What are your thoughts on this?

I cross-trained for some time and I think that is beneficial; but to get the most benefit from this, the two arts should be different. You can associate a traditional martial art with a modern self defence-art, a grappling art with a striking art, an internal MA with a purely external martial art. Doing two art which are "similar" may also create interference and the benefit is limited.

Makes sense and thank you.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

italian_guy wrote:

I think that, on the surface, you're correct. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that someone start their cross training with Shorin Ryu if their base system is Goju Ryu. It's just too similar.

That being said, I think that after you branch out into something different, like an internal system after your external one, then I think training in a similar system can have a lot of benefits. There's a lot of subtly in similar but different systems, and having a break from one and going to the other may make you appreciate that more.

Otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree that if you practice an external system, that your next step should be internal if you want to take the cross training route (and I think everyone should).

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty is that Goju has some internal elements. IE, Tensho and Sanchin katas.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dani_001 wrote:
The beauty is that Goju has some internal elements. IE, Tensho and Sanchin katas.

Yes Goju is the most "internal" karate style. This is the reason why it is the karate style I like the most.

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

italian_guy wrote:
Dani_001 wrote:

Yes Goju is the most "internal" karate style. This is the reason why it is the karate style I like the most.

I am visiting Honbu tomorrow night. I have never been there. I hope it will help me make my final decision. I will train directly under our Shibu Cho for my country and with that comes hard training. Honbu dojo's have notoriety when it comes to training, it's different training under yudansha of the Honbu which I am currently doing.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loyal to a style, the originator of it is not loyal due to starting their own style.

The creator of a style learned there martial art from others first, then secondly built upon it, or modified it and adapted it to their own needs.

Perhaps the division in loyalty is because in the past comrades depending on each other, working as a unit for the good of all in a time of war or strife; but now days there is the martial arts as a hobby or sport factor to consider, things are not so serious, as in life and death situations.

This could also be the age of none commitment and McDojos.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Loyal to a style, the originator of it is not loyal due to starting their own style.

The creator of a style learned there martial art from others first, then secondly built upon it, or modified it and adapted it to their own needs.

Perhaps the division in loyalty is because in the past comrades depending on each other, working as a unit for the good of all in a time of war or strife; but now days there is the martial arts as a hobby or sport factor to consider, things are not so serious, as in life and death situations.

This could also be the age of none commitment and McDojos.

To the bold type above...

...Or it could be viewed as a means of complimenting the original; depending on how ones viewpoints in this regards are taken.

I'm not loyal to my core style, Shindokan, at all. Why?? Because while it's effective across the board, imho, that effectiveness, like in every MA style known to mankind, is limited. Hence, the creation of styles, and the desire to cross train in other styles of the MA.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was involved in TSD, loyalty to the style and association was promoted on the basis that "it takes a lifetime to learn the art", and don't make up your own training methods or question your instructors. Bowing, hierarchies of belts, junior, senior, even the number on your black belt. A lot of that is just keeping people in line, particularly kids. As a business, though, like the supermarket discount card, it's a retention strategy. There was also a subtle pyramid aspect to it- once you advanced as a black belt, you were expected to have a (dues paying) school, or you wouldn't be eligible to be a 4th Dan "Master"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: