Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Not really met anyone notable outside of TKD but have inadvertently had tea with Prof. Chang Ung (gatecrashed the VIP area) and have been introduced to new ITF president Prof. Master Ri Yong Son.

Have also met pioneers FGM Rhee Ki Ha and trained with GM Hwang Kwang Sung (one of the 3 promoted to 9th dan by Gen. Choi).

Trained with various international coaches and world champs, but highlight would be training with Hwang Su-Il (known for doing the motion capture for Hwoarang in the Tekken games). I actually had the honour to step into the mat with Master Hwang at the last world championships for the ladies team spar; he was coaching team Japan and I, England.

I know who they are. Fantastic!! Very cool, indeed!!

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know who's famous and who's not, so here are a bunch of people whose paths I've crossed.

Fumio Demura, Takayuki Kubota, Tadashi Yamashita, Hirokazu Kanazawa, Shojiro Koyama, Morio Higaonna, Eihachi Ota, Emil Farkas, Cecil Peoples, John Hackelman, Benny Urquidez, "Mouse" Krasnoo, George Kotaka, Jean Jacques Machado, Gene LeBell.

The longer I think, the more names I come up with, but I should be working. I'm sure I've left off lots of good people.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnASE wrote:
I don't really know who's famous and who's not, so here are a bunch of people whose paths I've crossed.

Fumio Demura, Takayuki Kubota, Tadashi Yamashita, Hirokazu Kanazawa, Shojiro Koyama, Morio Higaonna, Eihachi Ota, Emil Farkas, Cecil Peoples, John Hackelman, Benny Urquidez, "Mouse" Krasnoo, George Kotaka, Jean Jacques Machado, Gene LeBell.

The longer I think, the more names I come up with, but I should be working. I'm sure I've left off lots of good people.

Yeah, those work.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of fun stories here, all. Thanks for sharing.

MAfreak wrote:
at least, i tried
https://twitter.com/tobias_kilian/status/329181069817569281

Nice. It's cool that he replied.

I'm trying to think if I've net any...

JR 137 wrote:
Mike Tyson - growing up in Albany, NY, Tyson used to fight locally when he was starting out. He fought a few fights here after his first Sports Illustrated cover. Met him a few times, and he was always a nice guy. I was in 3rd-4th grade. It was hilarious the first time I met him... There was an area backstage where people could go and meet the fighters and get autographs. We were all waiting for Tyson. He came out of the dressing area with a smile on his face and said "Hi everyone." Everyone's jaw dropped, as no one heard him talk before, and no one expected his voice to sound like that. He was a good guy; he spoke to everyone, shook every hand, allowed all the pics you wanted, etc. People I know who've met him since then all said the same thing.

Nice.

I have met a bunch of athletes, but I'm trying to think if I've met any fighters or well-known martial artists. Hmm. I can't really think of any.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnASE wrote:

Thats a who's who of martial arts.

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnASE wrote:

Man, I'd be honored to meet even 1 of those!! I've spent hours watching Kanazawa Sensei's videos to work on my Katas. I just finished watching The Real Miyagi about Demura Sensei. I used to watch Benny the Jet's matches. Judo Gene Lebell trained with Bruce. Man! That list is impressive!
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only MA "celebrity" I've ever met was Ed Parker, about a year before he died.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

el-peligroso
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Jujutsu, Kickboxing, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolph Lundgren, a bunch of MMA fighters and pro-boxers

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't met any and was feeling pretty left out, that was until a few weeks ago in Moscow and I saw The" Beast from the east" Nikolai Valuev (2 time WBA heavyweight champion) walking around the expo I was attending. I got a few photos with him too, he is absolutely huge!!!
I now feel a little more forfilled..........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: