Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: MA celebrities that you've met Reply with quote

I know I'm in Los Angeles, but I'm about to break a cardinal rule about living here. The rule says that celebrities are normal people & we shouldn't mention that we've seen them at the grocery store. But I've met more of these folks when I lived in Chicago, so it doesn't apply. Boxers, MMA fighter, etc. are also celebrities. It doesn't mean we're unique that we've met them. Just in the right place.

I met Chuck Norris at a signing of his 1st autobiography in the 80s.
Don "The Dragon" Wilson at a kickboxing event in Wisconsin
Bridgett "Babydoll" Riley
Lily Rodriguez
Bill "Superfoot" Wallace
Dr. Un Yong KIM (1st President of Kukkiwon)
Kyu Hyung LEE (8th President of Kukkiwon)

Who have you had the opportunity to meet?

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only met MMA stars. Met Din Thomas at a local Gym. Met "Crazy" Tim Credeur, TUF and UFC vet, and took a selfie with Royce Gracie, UFC legend.
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:
I have only met MMA stars. Met Din Thomas at a local Gym. Met "Crazy" Tim Credeur, TUF and UFC vet, and took a selfie with Royce Gracie, UFC legend.

Fantastic!!

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend that was able to spar with Chuck Norris at an event in Lafayette years ago. He said "you know all those things they say about Chuck Norris?" I replied, "you mean, like Chuck Norris's parachute failed to open. So he brought it back the next day for a refund?" He said "They're all true!!!"
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least, i tried
https://twitter.com/tobias_kilian/status/329181069817569281

Oshishinobu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ISKF Shotokan Karate, Italian Longsword, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work at a hardware store Washington and that is how I met Rick The Horror" Story. Awesome dude last time I saw him he had just finished a fight, not sure which but he had serious coon eye.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tadashi Nakamura and Charles Martin. Do they count? Being a Seido student and all?

Mike Tyson - growing up in Albany, NY, Tyson used to fight locally when he was starting out. He fought a few fights here after his first Sports Illustrated cover. Met him a few times, and he was always a nice guy. I was in 3rd-4th grade. It was hilarious the first time I met him... There was an area backstage where people could go and meet the fighters and get autographs. We were all waiting for Tyson. He came out of the dressing area with a smile on his face and said "Hi everyone." Everyone's jaw dropped, as no one heard him talk before, and no one expected his voice to sound like that. He was a good guy; he spoke to everyone, shook every hand, allowed all the pics you wanted, etc. People I know who've met him since then all said the same thing.

"Marvelous" Marvin Hagler - Met him in Boston. Very nice guy. The people I was with thought he was Louis Gossett Jr.

I've met a bunch of pro athletes too.

Edit: It sounds like I was saying Tyson grew up in Albany, NY. I grew up here, not him. He lived and trained in Catskill, NY, about 45 minutes south of here. The gym he trained at consistently sent fighters to Albany to fight.

Last edited by JR 137 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internationally reknowned martial arts celebrities known outside the martial arts world? None. Heads of styles? a few including:

Chuck Merriman of Goju ryu who was a bodyguard for celebrities and high profile people, even music bands like Kiss.

The others were had reputations limited to the martial arts world or were simply not interested in being famous.

They might not be as accessible as ordinary folks, but for the odd chance to have enough time to have a conversation, one finds that they are no different than anyone else who has had a successful career in something they thoroughly enjoy.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have met none, but would love to hang out with Mark Hunt (UFC) for a while.
Also like to chat with Jet Li, I know he considers "Fearless" one of his best, as do I.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really met anyone notable outside of TKD but have inadvertently had tea with Prof. Chang Ung (gatecrashed the VIP area) and have been introduced to new ITF president Prof. Master Ri Yong Son.

Have also met pioneers FGM Rhee Ki Ha and trained with GM Hwang Kwang Sung (one of the 3 promoted to 9th dan by Gen. Choi).

Trained with various international coaches and world champs, but highlight would be training with Hwang Su-Il (known for doing the motion capture for Hwoarang in the Tekken games). I actually had the honour to step into the mat with Master Hwang at the last world championships for the ladies team spar; he was coaching team Japan and I, England.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: