Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: MA private lessons Reply with quote

I just would like to know what members think of private lessons for MA ? what would be the benefits ? do you need it if you are not going to compete ? Is it worth the cost or the dojo classes are enough ? ...etc. I just found that the new dojo I have just joined has this option.

Any thoughts about private lessons will be much appreciated. I wanna have a better /clear picture of the position of private lessons in MA genrally !

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely can't hurt, I was fortunate enough to have a family member that would give me private lessons.

I run a couple of small classes, and with the help of my second in command we split the class up often leaving us with 2 or 3 students each and feel that all students are receiving plenty of feedback, and working on content more specific to their grade.

All depends what you are getting from your main classes, or if there is a specific area that you feel less confident in, a couple of private sessions on that area could help you improve where you want to improve...

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private lessons are excellent for fine-tuning. If you want specific, detailed feedback and corrections on how to do your kata, or execute a technique, or move in sparring, etc., then it's an excellent resource! Also, if you can't make it to enough regular classes, or can't train with the level of contact you want in regular classes, they can be helpful, since your Sensei can adjust to fit you, and no one else. I would never tell someone to go with nothing but private lessons, though, as there is a lot to be gained from working with a variety of different partners on a regular basis
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MA private lessons Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
I just would like to know what members think of private lessons for MA ? what would be the benefits ? do you need it if you are not going to compete ? Is it worth the cost or the dojo classes are enough ? ...etc. I just found that the new dojo I have just joined has this option.

Any thoughts about private lessons will be much appreciated. I wanna have a better /clear picture of the position of private lessons in MA genrally !

Private lessons have been around as far as I can remember. When I started training back in 1964, our Hombu offered private lessons, and in fact, our Hombu still offers private lesson. In my own dojo's, I've offered private lessons ever since I opened its doors. I'd say that privates lessons are a normal staple at a MA school.

Just as in anything, some class structures, like private lessons, are much more suitable for some, but not suitable for others. Some want the privacy, while others crave the group setting. Oftentimes, the venue is the benefit!!

Students of the MA have desires, as any individual, and these desires must be meet, and if these desires aren't meet by the school, then, they'll search for a school that will cater to their wants and needs.

Benefits fit like a shoe! Either it's a comfortable fit or it's not!! There are as many benefits for and against private lessons, just like there are many styles and types of shoes to try on.

Therefore, I will say that, and for the most, a private lesson is a one on one environment, with an occasional 2 on one. In a private lesson, the student has the CI's undivided attention across the board. That can be invaluable beyond what one could ever hope for or dream for!!

Private lessons, are crucial if a student is seeking that much needed privacy. A well known celebrity who seeks that much important anonymity for what ever those reason(s) might be, would greatly benefit from private lessons. Hard to train when everyone's constantly gawking at them; tends to make the learning experience much more unpleasant.

Do you need private lessons if you're going to or wanting to compete? No!! I do think that private lessons in this case would be more of a hindrance than a benefit because the more students you can Kumite with, the better. Variety is vital to train competitively!!

Is it worth the costs? That answer can only be answered by the individual. Cost are higher than group lessons, but that's understandable because a student gets the CI all by him/herself. That undivided attention from the CI costs!!

Think about it this way...1 student for an hour, three days a week at $300 per month = $300 VS 20 students for an hour, three days a week at $100 per month = $2,000, and a CI would need about 7 students for private lessons to equal what 20 students bring; it has the P&L screaming for attention. Most MA schools don't have a flip flop ratio where there are more private lessons than there are group lessons. Prices can deter most students, and those prices do play a major factor in a students decision.

I've had many student actually think that if they took private lessons over group lessons, that they'd earn Shodan much faster. This is the furthest thing from the truth. Ranks are earned, not given. Promotions depend highly on the student as to how fast, or slow, a student receives. No, private lessons do not speed up the rank earning capabilities. No, you weren't asking this, I've just dealt with this very same question in 8 out of 10 interviews with prospective students over these many, many years.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
It definitely can't hurt, I was fortunate enough to have a family member that would give me private lessons.

I run a couple of small classes, and with the help of my second in command we split the class up often leaving us with 2 or 3 students each and feel that all students are receiving plenty of feedback, and working on content more specific to their grade.

All depends what you are getting from your main classes, or if there is a specific area that you feel less confident in, a couple of private sessions on that area could help you improve where you want to improve...

Thanks ashworth for sharing your thoughts, I agree if the class is only 2 or 3 students per instructor then there might be minimal need for private lessons

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
Private lessons are excellent for fine-tuning. If you want specific, detailed feedback and corrections on how to do your kata, or execute a technique, or move in sparring, etc., then it's an excellent resource! Also, if you can't make it to enough regular classes, or can't train with the level of contact you want in regular classes, they can be helpful, since your Sensei can adjust to fit you, and no one else. I would never tell someone to go with nothing but private lessons, though, as there is a lot to be gained from working with a variety of different partners on a regular basis

Good points Thanks for sharing it Wastelander

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: MA private lessons Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Safroot wrote:

Private lessons have been around as far as I can remember. When I started training back in 1964, our Hombu offered private lessons, and in fact, our Hombu still offers private lesson. In my own dojo's, I've offered private lessons ever since I opened its doors. I'd say that privates lessons are a normal staple at a MA school.

Just as in anything, some class structures, like private lessons, are much more suitable for some, but not suitable for others. Some want the privacy, while others crave the group setting. Oftentimes, the venue is the benefit!!

Students of the MA have desires, as any individual, and these desires must be meet, and if these desires aren't meet by the school, then, they'll search for a school that will cater to their wants and needs.

Benefits fit like a shoe! Either it's a comfortable fit or it's not!! There are as many benefits for and against private lessons, just like there are many styles and types of shoes to try on.

Therefore, I will say that, and for the most, a private lesson is a one on one environment, with an occasional 2 on one. In a private lesson, the student has the CI's undivided attention across the board. That can be invaluable beyond what one could ever hope for or dream for!!

Private lessons, are crucial if a student is seeking that much needed privacy. A well known celebrity who seeks that much important anonymity for what ever those reason(s) might be, would greatly benefit from private lessons. Hard to train when everyone's constantly gawking at them; tends to make the learning experience much more unpleasant.

Do you need private lessons if you're going to or wanting to compete? No!! I do think that private lessons in this case would be more of a hindrance than a benefit because the more students you can Kumite with, the better. Variety is vital to train competitively!!

Is it worth the costs? That answer can only be answered by the individual. Cost are higher than group lessons, but that's understandable because a student gets the CI all by him/herself. That undivided attention from the CI costs!!

Think about it this way...1 student for an hour, three days a week at $300 per month = $300 VS 20 students for an hour, three days a week at $100 per month = $2,000, and a CI would need about 7 students for private lessons to equal what 20 students bring; it has the P&L screaming for attention. Most MA schools don't have a flip flop ratio where there are more private lessons than there are group lessons. Prices can deter most students, and those prices do play a major factor in a students decision.

I've had many student actually think that if they took private lessons over group lessons, that they'd earn Shodan much faster. This is the furthest thing from the truth. Ranks are earned, not given. Promotions depend highly on the student as to how fast, or slow, a student receives. No, private lessons do not speed up the rank earning capabilities. No, you weren't asking this, I've just dealt with this very same question in 8 out of 10 interviews with prospective students over these many, many years.

First of all thanks for the detailed post sensei8 as usual

I really find very interesting points in your post, private lessons are bit cheaper for me, in the new dojo they charge $35/hour which in my case very close to the schools fees. The school charges $100/month and you can attaend up to 7 sessions x 1.5 hrs every week but in my case I can attend only 1 session weekly (due to work) so I am paying $25/ 1.5 hours school sessions, it might be worth paying $35 weekly for 1 private session !

I will give the normal sessions a go then I will see if I need to go for the private one !

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see a lot of private lesson stuff while I was in stand up arts. That said, it's a huge thing in BJJ. Having done several myself, you can really get some good detail and fine tuning as Wastelander said. If you're having continued problems in a specific area, it can be a great idea to get past that barrier.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use private lessons as a fine tuning thing, or as a tutor type thing. It shouldn't replace group instruction under normal circumstances.

And it depends on the teacher. Being a school teacher, I've seen people who are great at being in front of a class, yet aren't effective in a one on one setting, and excellent tutors who can't run a classroom to save their lives.

I've seen this in MA too. There's an assistant instructor at our dojo who I'm not a big fan of the way she runs class. I won't turn my car around if I see her car in the parking lot and not my CI's, but I curb my enthusiasm when I walk in and see she's running class. But if I wanted to work on something and needed to pull someone aside before class, she's near the top of my list. She's helped me quite a bit.

Our dojo doesn't offer private lessons, but they don't need to. There's several classes with about 6-7 students total (depending on the night/time; we've got about 25 consistent adults), and the CI and every other senior will work with anyone who asks. If they can't that night, they'll promise to help you next time. People don't hesitate to ask for help, and seniors don't hesitate to help. That's just the atmosphere of our dojo. When students are preparing for dan testing (done at honbu by our kaicho), our CI will set aside time for those students outside of the regular schedule. Seniors will come to help. Last time, we had 3 people testing for dan ranks. My CI arranged a Sunday "class" for them. There'd typically be 5 or 6 seniors helping out. There wasn't an end time, just a start time; they'd stay as long as necessary. Why'd all the seniors show up? They were happy to help out, got some good practice, and payed forward the favor their seniors did.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one has the opportunity to take private lessons, it can be a great opportunity to focus on certain aspects that might not be easy to do with larger groups training together. If it's possible, then why not do it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: