Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

username8517
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope this girl doesn't expect her attacker to stop because she doesn't feel comfortable where she's being hit if she ever finds herself in a real fighting situation.

Jkoko
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Former:Japanese Karate(Yellow Belt) Starting very soon: Wing Chun / Gung-Fu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you guys recommend that I become a "head hunter"(go for head strikes) if I unfortunately have to spar with her again? and do you guys recommend a groin cup or a rib guard,cuz I see ALOT of people get punched in the ribs and it looks pretty painfull

NightOwl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Working on Judo and BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jkoko wrote:
so you guys recommend that I become a "head hunter"(go for head strikes) if I unfortunately have to spar with her again? and do you guys recommend a groin cup or a rib guard,cuz I see ALOT of people get punched in the ribs and it looks pretty painfull

If they are allowed. Although in a real fight you have to consider the possibility of breaking something if you are punching, it can do alot of damage. What is your Karate Dojo's policy on targeting the head? Usually Karate only allows kicks but...

~Theodore Roosevelt

Jkoko
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Former:Japanese Karate(Yellow Belt) Starting very soon: Wing Chun / Gung-Fu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightOwl wrote:
Jkoko wrote:

If they are allowed. Although in a real fight you have to consider the possibility of breaking something if you are punching, it can do alot of damage. What is your Karate Dojo's policy on targeting the head? Usually Karate only allows kicks but...

we're allowed to hit everywhere in our dojo,but try not to hit the face and the groin,and the shin is permissable

Elky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightOwl wrote:
Usually Karate only allows kicks but...

Only kyokushin derivatives. Most styles permit face punches as long as you're wearing padding or show control

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jkoko wrote:

I wouldn't say to "just" be a head hunter, the stomach, sides and back are usually also fair game. Also, usually I've only heard the term "head hunter" when it's applied to someone who kicks at the head(if this isn't the case, somebody say so, I'd like to know). Jabs, back fists and ridge hands are also effective head attacking techniques as long as you have control.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordtariel wrote:
Also, usually I've only heard the term "head hunter" when it's applied to someone who kicks at the head(if this isn't the case, somebody say so, I'd like to know).

This is the context that I have heard it in as well, being in TKD.

Shotokan-kez
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan karate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i am a girl, and in wednesday night training i was hit very hard in my chest by a guy. It hurt loads and i went to the ground with tears in my eyes. However at the end of the day it was an accident, the guy didnt purposly aim there (or i hope not anyway ).
I could have hurt him in the wrong place by accident! I do think it's a little harder for ladies because they do have bits sticking out there that guys don't, but guys have sensitive area's too. Ladies should get breast protectors if they are concerned. I don't because i feel its all part of it!

KaratekaAndy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with hitting girls.

When I have to spar with them I work more on blocking and counters rather than the usual full-frontal attack which I usually use

When I strike back I pull my blows slightly, but with enough force to show I hit the target - usually head, back and sides

MisterRadley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: ITF TKD, some Jujitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, if those women are attacked, do you think that their attacker will pull their blows and just block and counter them? I think that "training is Bloodless battles , and battles are bloody training."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12
Jump to: