Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

AikiGuy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: . Aikijutsu, . Goshin Jutsu Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Radley is right. I would avoid fighting a girl more than a guy too. But KarateAndy, keep in mind this is not a fight. It's a class. This girl paid good money and time for the right to prepare and practice so she can defend against a REAL attacker. If you hold back, she is not getting the realistic practice she paid for. In personal life, I would hold back unless I thought there was a very serious threat from a girl (like a weapon or multiple attackers). But in class, it is ok to forget those rules and just spar people based on rank and ability.

KaratekaAndy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my response is this:

There are plenty of other guys in the class she can fight if she wants to get the experience - it's just against my upbringing to hit girls

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there needs to be a serious discussion in the dojo. What would clear things up is just asking the girls in the class what they are comfortable with in terms of sparring. That way everybody has clear-cut knowledge of what techniques you should use and what ones you shouldn't, because not all people are the same. Some don't really care and others are more sensitive.

MizuRyu
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Present: Judo/Boxing, Past: Ryu-Te, Tang Soo Do, Wing Chun, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think your instructor and sparring partner were in the wrong. She could've said something along the lines of "please don't strike my chest, it makes me uncomfortable" instead of exploding. The instructor should've mediated the situation instead of jumping on you for it, and favoritism is never good for dojo politics.

"I burn alive to keep you warm"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaratekaAndy wrote:
Well my response is this:

There are plenty of other guys in the class she can fight if she wants to get the experience - it's just against my upbringing to hit girls

I think that 'hitting girls' and sparring in class don't really fall under the same category. Maliciously striking females is not right, I agree. However, this is hardly what is being done under the supervision of an instructor in a dojo. It is a learning environment, and everyone in the dojo should be subject to the same learning experiences.

MisterRadley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: ITF TKD, some Jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I think that 'hitting girls' and sparring in class don't really fall under the same category. Maliciously striking females is not right, I agree. However, this is hardly what is being done under the supervision of an instructor in a dojo. It is a learning environment, and everyone in the dojo should be subject to the same learning experiences.

Well said.

Andrew_Patton
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kobayashi shorin-ryu, matayoshi kobudo, sui-kendo, Kodokan Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all, I don't think the whole situation sounds at all right, exploding in class, should be a push-up situation at least, and if there's a confrontation, punish both parties.

And, the last time I looked, it's the instructor's duty to explain everything beforehand and make sure everyone obeys the rules.

TigerDude
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you punch guys in the chest? It's not usually a target, altho the kyuskushin guys seem to chest punch a bunch.

Symphony-x
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Freestyle Karate, Kickboxing, Boxing; Used to do TKD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to keep 'equal rights' punch them wherever you'd punch a male. if she is willing to spar a male, then she should know what to expect

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she had on a protector and still got mad, she needs to be counseled on her reaction and reminded what those are for - so you can take contact without getting hurt. As for being told to do 50 burpees, then 10 minutes in horse stance, then a five minute chew session, that is way over the top, litigation fear or not.

I can't stand in horse for TWO minutes because of knee pain. If an instructor tried to "make" me do that, I'd refuse and we'd have a private discussion right then. I don't agree with humiliating or abusing students. You are a customer who paid to be trained.

Big boys and girls handle these kinds of issues like BIG boys and girls. This one went wrong several ways.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12
Jump to: