Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jkoko
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Former:Japanese Karate(Yellow Belt) Starting very soon: Wing Chun / Gung-Fu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Male VS Female sparring matches-PLEASE advise Reply with quote

how the h**l do you fight a girl? I couldnt! I punched her a few times in the chest during a class match,where everybody watches 2 randomly picked people fight (she was a yellow belt also,but had a chest protector,I used the instructors stuff since mine is coming next week) and she just threw her headgear off and yelled:"stop punching me in private places!!!" ,guess what,I had to do 50 burpies (push-up position,bring feet close while in push up position,jump,repeat) and 10 minutes in "horse stance" on the wall,then I had a good yell-at from the instructor for almost 5 minutes in the bathroom ,trust me,its the scariest thing in your whole life,so yeah,I need some advice on sparring with a female,can someone PLEASE help?

danbong
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: cho hwa mo yang do

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need advice on how to spar with a female, you need to find another school. If the instructor does not inform you ahead of time, you should spar with the same rules and guidelines for all of your sparing partners.

MisterRadley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: ITF TKD, some Jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danbong is absolutely right.

Jkoko
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Former:Japanese Karate(Yellow Belt) Starting very soon: Wing Chun / Gung-Fu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply,but the instructor is very kind usually,but I guess he was ticked off or something

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When sparring females, you will want to try to direct your punches more to the stomach and rib area, as opposed to the chest. This will minimize the problem, I think.

However, I would ask the instructor if you should or should not punch the girls, and why.

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a trickey subject. She may be a girl, but she can't expect to be in a contact sport and not occasionally be hit in the chest just like a guy can't expect to never accidentally be kicked in the groin. If she's unconfortable with that, then she shouldn't be sparring.

I'd talk to your instructor and voice your concerns. He might not have actually seen what had happened. Tell him you don't want to spar with her again because she's obvoiusly uncomfortable with it. I think that's a reasonable request.

I personally look at sparring with girls as a chance to brush up on head and lower body strikes. You may just need to know your classmates better. Some girls are more touchy than others. I know in judo, one of the girls there didn't care that your arm was pinned against her chest because she was too busy trying to arm bar or choke you out, while others would only spar with other girls.

Elky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Male VS Female sparring matches-PLEASE advise Reply with quote

Jkoko wrote:
how the h**l do you fight a girl? I couldnt! I punched her a few times in the chest during a class match,where everybody watches 2 randomly picked people fight (she was a yellow belt also,but had a chest protector,I used the instructors stuff since mine is coming next week) and she just threw her headgear off and yelled:"stop punching me in private places!!!"

She sounds a bit strange.

Quote:
,guess what,I had to do 50 burpies (push-up position,bring feet close while in push up position,jump,repeat) and 10 minutes in "horse stance" on the wall,then I had a good yell-at from the instructor for almost 5 minutes in the bathroom ,trust me,its the scariest thing in your whole life,so yeah,I need some advice on sparring with a female,can someone PLEASE help?

He sounds a bit strange too.

I would wait until the next lesson and beat her in the head relentlessly since she's insisted on limiting your target areas. Or alternately, every time she hits you in sparring, shout "stop punching me in private places!" at the top of your voice.

(Edit: in this litigation-friendly age, I would like to point out that I am not seriously advocating beating a girl in the face for revenge)

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Male VS Female sparring matches-PLEASE advise Reply with quote

Elky wrote:
in this litigation-friendly age, I would like to point out that I am not seriously advocating beating a girl in the face for revenge

That may be why the instructor acted the way he did as well.

AikiGuy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: . Aikijutsu, . Goshin Jutsu Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous posts are all correct on this one. I especially agree with the last post from Lordtariel. The instructor may be trying to calm an easily offended student from making waves later. However, it is still not your fault. I would hesitate to punch a girl in the chest without a chest protector. But your opponent had one on. The whole point for this is so you do not have to fight differently with her. I think she's a big baby and will not do well in sparring if she does not change her attitude.

Also, I would tell the instructor (very soon) that you fought her as you would a guy since she had the protector and explain that you did not know the shot was not allowed. Then ask for an explanation of any rules he may have on sparring girls (or kids or lower ranks, etc.). This will keep you out of trouble plus it will let the teacher know this was just a mistake and not something mean or intentional toward the girl.

NightOwl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Working on Judo and BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AikiGuy wrote:
The previous posts are all correct on this one. I especially agree with the last post from Lordtariel. The instructor may be trying to calm an easily offended student from making waves later. However, it is still not your fault. I would hesitate to punch a girl in the chest without a chest protector. But your opponent had one on. The whole point for this is so you do not have to fight differently with her. I think she's a big baby and will not do well in sparring if she does not change her attitude.

Also, I would tell the instructor (very soon) that you fought her as you would a guy since she had the protector and explain that you did not know the shot was not allowed. Then ask for an explanation of any rules he may have on sparring girls (or kids or lower ranks, etc.). This will keep you out of trouble plus it will let the teacher know this was just a mistake and not something mean or intentional toward the girl.

You must keep in mind however, that the instructor has to always be careful about avoiding lawsuits. I dunno...I guess just follow what people have said here already/ don't spar with her (she doesn't seem like someone who would calmly discuss the issue with you).

~Theodore Roosevelt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12
Jump to: