Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use English to describe most techniques and then add the Korean or Japanese "name" for it afterwards-as a matter of tradition. Students are not required to know them until they take their written exam for Black Belt-put I do put the pressure on them to learn them earlier by having "quizzes" that result in the whole class suffering if they dont have the answer-LOL! No one want to be "that guy/gal"!

I am a traditionalist for the most part but in the grand scheme of things we are teaching technique-yes?

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminology for martial arts is a great way to learn and remember fundamentals.

Once there is a pattern of reasoning mapped out with a single word then other words linked together, they can greatly reinforce a martial artist's skill.

I also like the uniqueness of Chinese words. For instance 'Shan' has not much significance in English other than it could be used to shorten a person's name from Shannon; that could be used as a word association asset, such as 'Shannon's Law'

'Shan' in Chinese context referring to the White Crane style of Gung Fu, means evasiveness, avoiding an attack by using defensive footwork and immediately counter attacking, without the need for blocking.

'Chaun' is another useful word, meaning penetration, the way or ability to defeat or set up an opponent by using timing skillfully. JKD intercepting skills is based on speed and timing; also on deceptive timing skills.

'Chan' as in the name of the martial artist Jackie Chan, it's meaning refers to martial art spirit of ruthlessness and determination to survive combat. In Jackie Chan's career surviving as a martial art stunt man.

So by knowing the meaning of a few Chinese words such as Shan, Chaun and Chan I have a built in strategy when fighting a strong opponent.

For me it's not just about knowing Chinese names for stances, kicks, punches and blocks, it's more about how to make everything work together the way it was synchronically intended.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
The teaching style just depends on the intructor and is not really tied to whether or not one uses a certain set of terminology. The instructors from my experience used Japanese and Okinawan exclusively and the atmosphere in the dojo was very informal.

The militaristic or strict style, which is often associated with martial arts is probably because a great portion of instructors have some kind of military background. They are only reproducing the way they learned.

My teacher nor his teacher have a military background that I know of. Kyokushin and its offshoots (Seido Juku falls under this) have this tradition in them. Perhaps Mas Oyama's military experience?

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Asian martial art words have there equivalents in English but are not literally the same due to cultural differences.

Chop Chop in Chinese, it's meaning is when someone is going to be beheaded while in English the meaning is to hurry up at what you are doing; perhaps leading up to being Chopped or fired if not working fast enough.

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our dojo we use the Japanese terms for the techniques and for counting. I think it helps the student feel more connected(if thats the right word) to the homeland of Karate. I don't think it is a necessary thing to do, but I do prefer it.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is interesting. We use Korean terminology during basics (followed by a translation, usually), but the terms we use are different from any I've seen for equivalent techniques in books I have on TKD.

When we discuss the techniques otherwise, we typically use English.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Ours is interesting. We use Korean terminology during basics (followed by a translation, usually), but the terms we use are different from any I've seen for equivalent techniques in books I have on TKD.

Different from both WTF and ITF? That's interesting. Do you have an example?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Different from both WTF and ITF? That's interesting. Do you have an example?
down block = han dan maki
high block = san dan maki
knife hand strike = sudo tiergi
knife hand guarding blocks = sudo maki
upset (reverse) knife hand strike = han sudo

This is just a few. We don't name off any stance by Korean, though. Spellings here are likely off, too.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spelling isn't a problem due to Korean words becoming Romanized in to English.

Chinese only has about 1000 words when Romanized but it is the tonal accents that regenerates each word differently in to other meanings, depending on the accent placements.

Spanish also use different accents on the same word to change it's meaning.

Cantonese is the oldest Chinese dialect compared to Mandarin, with alot less people that speak it.

As Cantonese is the spoken language of many Southern martial art styles, it does keep things continually interesting deciphering Romanized interpretations, as many techniques sound very similar yet have very different meanings.

It is possible to develope an ear to differentiate Cantonese and Mandarin but learning one and talk to someone the speaks the other is another story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: