Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jjwalters
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 70 years old and am in the process of building a small dojo back in my woods . . . I first studied Karate in Futenma Okinawa at the ouchi ryu academy in 63. I have a blog I am writing and am looking for old guys who are interested n getting out of the lazy boy and into shape . . . http://societyofinsidiousoldmen.wordpress.com/ . . . .

So, Yeah, I'm interested in discussing karate . . . or wing chun . . .

Oh . . . hi, my names Jim and this is my first post . . .

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
very much luck with your project of building your own dojo. I am a little envious about it. (Had my thoughts, but not wanting it enough.)

I do physical training with my neighbor - a 68 y old physical therapy professor who has an aikido background. I'm a 55y youngster and train actively in regular classes in BJJ.

I'll take you up on your interest in talking about karate or wing chun. Wing chun is my latest fixation or maybe it's just an interest at the moment. I don't know much about it, but I'm open minded and willing to have a go at it.

What's your experience in wing shun? (Read your blog, but still want to know more.)

jjwalters
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo-karate wrote:
Hi Jim,
I'll take you up on your interest in talking about karate or wing chun. Wing chun is my latest fixation or maybe it's just an interest at the moment. I don't know much about it, but I'm open minded and willing to have a go at it.

What's your experience in wing shun? (Read your blog, but still want to know more.)

Hi xo . . . my experience is quite limited, but while researching I found it to be more appealing than Ueichi because of the physical energy needed for the hard body approach . . . wing chun is a starting point only for me as I am designing something that the senior can do well in a serious assault . . . I am also borrowing from Jeet and using the Paul Vunak videos as well as Master Wong videos.

but all I am really interested in is self defense and for an old guy block/trap/punch (and it's finished) seems the way to go. . . also working on a cane design and self defense program . . . hope to make a video and some canes to give away to whoever trains with me (local) and needs one.

anyway I was just rooting around the net and found this thread so . . . I'm sure a lot of more traditional guys are rolling their eyes . . .

as to the blog I started last week, since you read some of it . . . does it make sense so far?

jjwalters
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo-karate wrote:
Hi Jim,
very much luck with your project of building your own dojo.)

My dojo is not all that fancy, it's kind of a rustic affair that will be adequate for only me and another person . . . that's abut it I am a retired builder/carpenter and am building it myself on the cheap in my woods.

anyways I've now read through the entire thread and IMO it seems that if you take martial arts as a sport, working with various age groups makes sense . . . but otherwise?

Naaa I don't want to teach my grandson pressure points, killing/maiming techniques, etc. . . . and as we all know the martial arts started as a warriors way to defeat the enemy, not just to win a match (this is the more modern approach I believe)

Right or wrong doesn't seem to be the question . . . what are you wanting to accomplish does . . .

my approach is dangerous and drastic and no place for kids. The streets around here are mean so it takes an above and beyond mean to counter them. Ever hear of the game the called 'Knock out?' . . . . .

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(October 2011)
Knockout, also known as the knockout game and knockout king, is a violent activity played by teenagers in which they attack an innocent pedestrian in an attempt to knock him or her unconscious with one punch.[1] The game can result in serious injuries or death for its victims and corresponding criminal charges for those playing it.
[edit]Cases involving teens playing knockout

The knockout game typically involves Black youths specifically targeting White victims for assault.
Cases involving teens playing knockout come to light when extremely serious consequences result. In one such case, in 1992, three teens were charged with assaulting an MIT student while he and a friend were walking near campus. Prosecutors said that one of the teens stabbed the student through the heart, killing him.[2] In another case, a St. Louis, Missouri teenager and his friends allegedly attacked a couple as they were walking home from the market. After one of the teens struck the man, he hit his head on the ground and ultimately died in the hospital.[3]
Both cases involved immigrants. The MIT student was Norwegian and was chatting with a compatriot when he was killed. The victim in St. Louis was a Vietnamese immigrant that was walking home from the Vietnamese market with his wife. Although authorities are unsure whether immigrants are targeted, the fact that immigrants are victims often makes other immigrants in the same area feel more at risk.
[edit]

Last edited by jjwalters on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited our local Wing Tsun club (That's the way they like to spell it) .. yesterday. Today I asked what would they think if I learn from master Wong's lessons. (Waiting for an answer.)

I live in very secure environment and have not needed to use self defense for 40 years. So self defense is not top priority, but keeping in acceptable physical condition is.

It's also important in self defense - you need to have enough stamina and skills that if you are pushed to the ground, you don't break an arm or a leg. Or one should have at least some ability to run, if it is needed. (Running fast - like sprinting - is only a mental image in memory, reality is rude

I love the idea of cane techniques! What about including some pressure points as targets?

Knock out game seems something that does not spell "civilization". I don't think that they do it even in the worst parts of African war zones.

jjwalters
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo-karate wrote:
I visited our local Wing Tsun club (That's the way they like to spell it) .. yesterday. Today I asked what would they think if I learn from master Wong's lessons. (Waiting for an answer.)

I live in very secure environment and have not needed to use self defense for 40 years. So self defense is not top priority, but keeping in acceptable physical condition is.

It's also important in self defense - you need to have enough stamina and skills that if you are pushed to the ground, you don't break an arm or a leg. Or one should have at least some ability to run, if it is needed. (Running fast - like sprinting - is only a mental image in memory, reality is rude

I love the idea of cane techniques! What about including some pressure points as targets?

You can see for yourself as Master Wong is all over youtube . . . I highly doubt Wong is very popular in the sporting circles...

I live in the opposite environment, grew up in a housing project and the first man I ever hit in the face (at about 4) was my father who was beating my mother . . . self defense is/was a way of life for me . . . I have used karate a time or two in a bar fight, but mostly I have learned to observe and avoid problems. No body (cept my wife) even knows I can do the stuff as I practice alone. . . . not to broadcast your abilities is a tactic also . . . my goal is to be loaded and cocked, but never fired. . . .

I am in good shape at 70 and would expect anyone I trained with to be also (or at least on the way towards that goal) else it's just a waste of time to expect a guy can do much if he has to push his belly out of the way first . . .

the cane is the perfect weapon for a senior as it is legal and in the hands of the adept can be quite dangerous . . . pressure points are a definite target, (I am learning them now)

The main thing for seniors IMO is to train on balance and conservation of energy BEFORE you even start the program . . . else the rest will be a waste of time. . . .

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

googled some cane techniques.
Many look like they might irritate your opponent more than finish the job.

If I were to plan a cane technique for elderly to use, there would be some pointers.
1) Even a person is in good shape, but needs a cane, most likely he is not as strong as 20 something. This means that situation has to end in control or long distance from the attacker.

2) You do not want to loose your cane

3) I'd look at escrima, boken and bo techniques and try to find the most secure. (All so a quick look at current videos in youtube, I had the feeling that the timing was wrong. After one punch will come an other and another, if the attacker can grap you, your in trouble.

(There might be some techniques for nightstick and we have some officers at the forum who might comment on that:-)

jjwalters
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo-karate wrote:
googled some cane techniques.
Many look like they might irritate your opponent more than finish the job.)

Absolutely . . . that's the same thing I saw. Actually if you a person who actually NEEDS a cane it may be too late for you and you ought to have a better way than that to defend yourself . . .

i am using a cane as a tool and getting away with it because it is the only legal tool I can carry without getting in trouble with the law. Sort of like a warrior in disguise . . . (thus the name of the blog)

Stick fighting technique will be a start, but in the end there will be a few good moves practiced diligently and used depending upon the situation . . . all the fancy stuff is not my forte . . . block, thrust smack above the teeth below the nose . . . or across the bridge of the nose . . . something that will really be painful . . . throat shots can kill . . . choke outs are dangerous so...... those are a last resort. . . .

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

It might be difficult to do, but it would be nice to see one cane application. Kind of description of the situation and then technique. Maybe a video shot with a phone or some photos.

jjwalters
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo-karate wrote:
Hi Jim,

It might be difficult to do, but it would be nice to see one cane application. Kind of description of the situation and then technique. Maybe a video shot with a phone or some photos.

Actually I am still working it out myself. . . as well as designing the cane. Then comes the video and probably a book. . . . so

what my thought is when it comes to the cane is for us old guys to use it in a very direct and forceful manner based loosely on the rifle fighting techniques I learned in the military and the blocking techniques I learned since . . . I believe more in the block/ thrust to a soft spot approach rather than a bonk on the head approach a lot of guys are teaching (and giving false hope) the old folks. . . . it may get you a payday at the local old folks gathering, but I'd advise any senior that if they want to survive using a cane like that, they had better exchange it for a pistol or a can of bear mace. . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: