Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It would be more effective to have your body weigth in the technique rather than just swinging a stick.

Have you tried any techniques on a heavy bag? It might give a feel what might work.

jjwalters
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo-karate wrote:
I agree. It would be more effective to have your body weigth in the technique rather than just swinging a stick.

Have you tried any techniques on a heavy bag? It might give a feel what might work.

Heavy bag? . . . yes. If you consider a cane to be no more than a three ft stick with a handle there are a plethora of applications that take direct contact with limited expenditure of energy . . . the bridge of the nose, under the nose, throat area, temple, on and on . . .

Not sure why they are teaching old people to do all the fancy stuff . . . and arm locks and things unless it is just for the money. Simplicity rules when it comes to self defense.

inventor
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my students, now deceased, joined the dojo at age 72. He was a member of the Presidents council on physical fitness, and a popular TV show did a segment on his life. He remained my student for the rest of his life. He once told me why he stayed with me. "Sensei, you always treated just like any other student."

I am now 74 years old. I have practiced karate, continuously, for 38 years. I train seven days a week. I honestly do not recognize any diminishing of my martial arts capability. My teacher is 88, he visited the USA three years ago and during training sessions he lead the exercises, including knuckle push ups.

YOU IS WHAT YOU IS!

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inventor wrote:
One of my students, now deceased, joined the dojo at age 72. He was a member of the Presidents council on physical fitness, and a popular TV show did a segment on his life. He remained my student for the rest of his life. He once told me why he stayed with me. "Sensei, you always treated just like any other student."

I am now 74 years old. I have practiced karate, continuously, for 38 years. I train seven days a week. I honestly do not recognize any diminishing of my martial arts capability. My teacher is 88, he visited the USA three years ago and during training sessions he lead the exercises, including knuckle push ups.

YOU IS WHAT YOU IS!

Very hard to believe, but it gives hope. So I might be in same condition next 30 years I'm only 55 at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: