Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that is true.

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well just to make a stand here.....
..i'm a traditionalist and feel it is important to pass on the history and terminology of your art/style/tradition, because to have a future we must of had a past.
another point is ..i have been to many countries and i find american's selfcentered and egotistical by the way they feel about other countries should know english(or should i say american) to communicate with just us. even though we are in there country.

just rushman's humble opinion.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...maybe going off on a tangent here but,

don't you think if you're going to be a citizen in America that you should at least speak English? (the most difficult language to learn)

...maybe Ken feels differently on this too (see other tec.posts)

Deby

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that if a person chooses to live in a country, that person should make an effort to learn the predominate language of that country. It just makes sense to me.

Yes, I know the Wai Kru and Ram Muay of my instructor. The Wai Kru and Ram Mauy vary from camp to camp. I do not think it is required to learn Muay Thai, however. The fighters here don't wear a Monkon or Praciat, my current gym right now doesn't even own a Monkon. I have a set myself, but since I do not own a gym, a person will not see it being worn until I do own my own gym. These traditions are based upon Buddhist beliefs and philosophy, so I won't expect my students to participate in learning them. Call me crazy, but I will not tell a person to do a ritual which might offend their own religious views.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see that you do promote tradition Ken, and teach the Wai Kruu to respect your instructors.

I agree with you on the Mongkon, and Praciat...that is an individual choice. Much like when I teach Shaolin, I don't ask anyone to practice the buddhist ways, unless the choose.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: