Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I'm trying to look at these arts with a very wide open mind, and I ask that you all forgive me, if I sound like I've just got off the banana boat with my observations. So here goes...

As far fetched that it might sound, a person of 40 might have 33 years of experience in one or more of those arts, with maybe 25 years of teaching experience...it's a stretch, but why not!?

Here's the claim/list...Karate, MMA, BKJ Arnis, Ryu Kon Kai Kobudo, Seitei Iaido and Seitei Jodo.

Let's first look at Karate. 33 years could earn one a Godan, or at least a Yondan, and more certainly a Sandan. All, of course qualify one to teach, one more qualified than the other ranks.

Looking at MMA. Well, there are no ranks awarded in MMA. So, during one's Karate journey, one could be a MMA veteran with many years in the octagon, and a championship or two, or just well versed enough to pass on his knowledge/experience.

Looking at BKJ Arnis, Ryu Kon Kai Kobudo, Seitei Iaido, and Seitei Jodo, if one's in a Karate style that teaches Kobudok as well, and having earned, for example, a Godan or Yondan in that Kobudo discipline, it's possible that one could become proficient in BKJ Arnis, Ryu Kon Kai Kobudo, Seitei Iaido, and Seitei Jodo in time...anything is possible.

For example, I've earned a Hachidan in Shindokan Kobudo, and I consider myself very proficient in quite a lot of Okinawan weapons. I've learned many other Kobudo weapons from other styles of the MA, and for me, learning those weapons was much easier for me based on my background. Learning those arts' methodology and ideology was important to understanding of their arts, nonetheless, becoming proficient in those weapons, for me, wasn't difficult.

This instructor teaches Karate, MMA, and 4 Kobudo disciplines!!

So, again, anything is possible!!

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Well...I'm trying to look at these arts with a very wide open mind, and I ask that you all forgive me, if I sound like I've just got off the banana boat with my observations. So here goes...

As far fetched that it might sound, a person of 40 might have 33 years of experience in one or more of those arts, with maybe 25 years of teaching experience...it's a stretch, but why not!?

Here's the claim/list...Karate, MMA, BKJ Arnis, Ryu Kon Kai Kobudo, Seitei Iaido and Seitei Jodo.

Let's first look at Karate. 33 years could earn one a Godan, or at least a Yondan, and more certainly a Sandan. All, of course qualify one to teach, one more qualified than the other ranks.

Looking at MMA. Well, there are no ranks awarded in MMA. So, during one's Karate journey, one could be a MMA veteran with many years in the octagon, and a championship or two, or just well versed enough to pass on his knowledge/experience.

Looking at BKJ Arnis, Ryu Kon Kai Kobudo, Seitei Iaido, and Seitei Jodo, if one's in a Karate style that teaches Kobudok as well, and having earned, for example, a Godan or Yondan in that Kobudo discipline, it's possible that one could become proficient in BKJ Arnis, Ryu Kon Kai Kobudo, Seitei Iaido, and Seitei Jodo in time...anything is possible.

For example, I've earned a Hachidan in Shindokan Kobudo, and I consider myself very proficient in quite a lot of Okinawan weapons. I've learned many other Kobudo weapons from other styles of the MA, and for me, learning those weapons was much easier for me based on my background. Learning those arts' methodology and ideology was important to understanding of their arts, nonetheless, becoming proficient in those weapons, for me, wasn't difficult.

This instructor teaches Karate, MMA, and 4 Kobudo disciplines!!

So, again, anything is possible!!

I think -according to your point of view- very very few dedicated people can but with the increasing number of such schools, I would say it will be very hard to find a good one. I wish I can meet MA instructor that has mastered 4 or 5 martial arts !

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just playing devil's advocate a little bit here, but look at the arts. The Karate and Kobudo were very likely trained together, the Iaido and Judo, looking at the name, also trained together. The Arnis, with the Iaido and Kobudo experience may have been a lot easier to pick up. And any of these combinations could have been trained together with the wide ranging differences without a lot of trouble keeping things separate mentally. Unless the instructor is passing themselves off as some sort of high end master in all of them, as opposed to competent enough to teach you a solid skill set, I wouldn't have a problem with it. At the very least you can have a look and a try and should be able to sniff out fakery as you find it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoriKid wrote:
Just playing devil's advocate a little bit here, but look at the arts. The Karate and Kobudo were very likely trained together, the Iaido and Judo, looking at the name, also trained together. The Arnis, with the Iaido and Kobudo experience may have been a lot easier to pick up. And any of these combinations could have been trained together with the wide ranging differences without a lot of trouble keeping things separate mentally. Unless the instructor is passing themselves off as some sort of high end master in all of them, as opposed to competent enough to teach you a solid skill set, I wouldn't have a problem with it. At the very least you can have a look and a try and should be able to sniff out fakery as you find it.

Yeah, this!!

ShoriKid said it much better, and much shorter, than I did...solid post, ShoriKid!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: