Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Martial Arts School Reply with quote

What are your thoughts about a single Martial art school that teaches Karate, Muay Thai, MMA, BJJ, BKJ Arnis, Ryu Kon Kai Kobudo, Seitei Iaido and Seitei Jodo.

The School has 1 instructor teaching Muay Thai (started training 5 years ago), 1 instruvtor for BJJ & rest of the arts with 1 instructor (Owner of the school) with the help of some of his own students.

Does such school sound like a McDojo ?!

Do you think that 1 instructor can really teach 4 or 5 different REAL arts ?!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a cause for caution and suspicion if it is a school where a single instructor claims to be qualified and experienced enough to teach so many different systems. Schools run by several instructors of different systems are not uncommon and that alone cannot be taken as an indication of questionable motives.

The one thing to keep in mind is that becoming competent in a single system, and understanding it enough to train others takes many years of serious training under the supervision of an expert instructor. Doing so for two different systems is already quite exceptional, never mind more. This is why someone who claims to be highly competent and teach several systems is likely either lying for profit and/or grossly overrating perceived skills. Even more so if they are less than 65 years old.

All the true experts of traditional systems have spent decades training one, rarely two systems for decades. They usually also have a specialty within their chosen system to which they didicate their training and are likely modest about their skills and knowledge.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner is in his early 40s ! Tbh it's a big school with lots of members (mainly kids though) but do they offer quality training or not , that's the question!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An instructor of that age claiming to be competent in several arts is, by personal experience, at best a dabbler jack-of-all trades with mediocre or passable skill or, at worst a liar with questionable motives. Common sense says that quality instruction is more likely to be given by someone who is dedicated to training and teaching a single system. 5 years is a very short time in martial arts. In many arts that is just enough time to be considered a serious student, but never experienced enough to teach.

At the end of the day it is a personal choice and in that case, the best way to find out is to observe and go try. Compare the instructors at said school with those of schools offering the same systems exclusively.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything nowadays is quite possible in today's MA schools. However, just how possible it is, is another thing. Is that school a McDojo?? Might be...might not be; that will be left up to the individual to decide.

Sounds like a stab in the dark kind of marketing. With all of those arts, just what depth is the knowledge of the CI and the like within the school, causes me to question the validity of what a student can learn.

An old adage says..."If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

In that case, the only way to find out for yourself, is to visit said school as often as it takes to come to a informed decision, while alleviating any doubts at the same time...or it might increase doubts!! Proof is on the floor!!

His age is a red light that needs to be considered.

Last edited by sensei8 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is 'how?' I made a school look slightly like that for a bit once, because I was using his space on the weekend when he had a day off. If several teachers are timesharing one space, it is totally understandable for a school to have many arts posted.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
In that case, the only way to find out for yourself, is to visit said school as often as it takes to come to a informed decision, while alleviating any doubts at the same time...or it might increase doubts!! Proof is on the floor!!

I was planing to start Muay Thai training over there but when I visited them & spoke to the instructors I didn't feel comfortable or motivated at all. If you want it just for fitness, I would say it will be great but art-wise I had a big question mark.

This is a review on their facebook page that has been posted earlier this month :

The only positive thing I could probably say about this martial arts school is that my sons trainer was good with the children and had good communication with the parents.
Since enrolling in the school even upon enrolment, the front desk staff had no customer service and rude attitudes. That should have been the first warning sign. However, the owner really needs to learn better communication skills and how to keep his clients happy (that is if he really cares about them!). My weekly fees were always paid on time with no problems. I had asked the owner if I could please pay the $22 trophy fee for the presentation night that is occurring this month, the day after the deadline, as being so close to Christmas money is a little tight. His response was arrogant explaining I am the third parent to ask and he is making no exceptions for anyone, no sympathy at all!
I had decided to cancel our membership because I feel I shouldn't be supporting a company who don't care about their clientele. It was one day after the deadline and he would have gotten his twenty two dollars before 9am still ensuring he could order enough trophies!
He did not care that I decided to pull my son out of the centre, however he got his administration lady to reply to my email explaining the weekly fee of $17 will still be taken out of my account until the 9th December even though we no longer will be attending.
Since commencing the school and seeing the trophies in their display cabinet, my son has been motivated to do well in boxing so that he could receive a trophy at the end of the year. My son always asks if he will be getting a trophy which I had been telling him yes at the end of the year.
It's a shame he could not accommodate and allow me to pay before he put the order in that morning. Now a 4 year old has been let down and won't be receiving an award he has been working hard for. "

to be fair there are lots of good reviews as well !

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the location (such as a small town or community) to teach a single MA style might not be practical due to the lack of students.

We are in the age of martial art diversity, martial artsist can hold multiple black belts in many styles.

Boxing clubs often offer many martial art styles as they have the facilities to do so.

It is very easy to be skeptical of other styles and there methods. Open mindedness can go a long way in developing oneself as a martial artist.

As we are all different with our wants and need, what is good for one person probably might not be exactly right for the next.

What can start out to be good in one club might turn out to be sour eventually, as your needs might change over time.

A club with many MA styles could be very educational due to the variety of disciplines.

Personally I like diversity in MA facilities, shows me how great it is when styles can be practiced next to each other in total harmony.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
A club with many MA styles could be very educational due to the variety of disciplines.

Personally I like diversity in MA facilities, shows me how great it is when styles can be practiced next to each other in total harmony.

I would agree with you only if a good experienced instructor teaching each art but not 1 single instructor teaching 4 or 5 arts !

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Martial Arts School Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
What are your thoughts about a single Martial art school that teaches Karate, Muay Thai, MMA, BJJ, BKJ Arnis, Ryu Kon Kai Kobudo, Seitei Iaido and Seitei Jodo.

The School has 1 instructor teaching Muay Thai (started training 5 years ago), 1 instruvtor for BJJ & rest of the arts with 1 instructor (Owner of the school) with the help of some of his own students.

Does such school sound like a McDojo ?!

Do you think that 1 instructor can really teach 4 or 5 different REAL arts ?!

I know nothing about the school so will not pass judgement on whether its' a McDojo or not. That is for you to decide.

I will however comment on 1 instructor teaching Karate, MMA, BKJ Arnis, Ryu Kon Kai Kobudo, Seitei Iaido and Seitei Jodo.

First - I am in my late 40's (you could say I'm looking very closely at 50) and can not claim to be competent enough to teach every art I have taken over my life time. Having said that, it's possible I guess.

I would ask him how many years and what grade he holds in each art. If he is legit he should have no issue answering these questions.

I am sure there are those that have the time and money to pursue many arts and rise to higher levels in said arts that they can teach them. However I have personally found that committing ones self to an art was the best way for me. I like so many others have dabbled in many different arts but always found myself re-committing myself to my main art due to time and money.

If he was able to spend the time it takes to be qualified to teach that many arts I tip my hat to him.

However I would be leery until you see the proof. Like Sensei8 always says "the proof is on the mat/floor".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: