Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

skullsplitter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: mcdojo? Reply with quote

I've seen the term mcdojo used several times and it's obviously not a good thing. What makes a mcdojo in your eyes?

I've done some reading on other sites. Some blame the mcdojo primarily on TKD. Some say if kids get black belts then it's automatically a mcdojo. Other hints are lack of sparring, presence of made up ma form, making ma something mystical etc.

Toptomcat
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Japanese and Korean karate systems, judo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McDojoism is in my opinion defined by exploitative business practices- stunts like years-long inescapable contracts, forcing the students to buy overpriced paraphernalia to advance, nickel-and-diming their students with charges at every juncture they can get away with, and the like.

People who are entirely well-meaning, serious, and dedicated to martial arts as they see it can promote martial arts that lack sparring and entirely downplay the physical attributes of MA in favor of their spiritual/mystical aspects. I personally think they're barking up the wrong forest, but being intentionally, actively, maliciously deceptive is not what I think is going on in the vast majority of such cases, and such schools should not be labeled McDojos per se.

Blade96
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-Do 7th Kyu (orange belt)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Term 'mcdojo' is rather subjective and different people have their own idea what it means, but basically a McDojo is a place that puts business interests (ex money) ahead of teaching or imparting true MA. Like the contracts, or promoting students too soon before they are ready, to make them want to stay there because tbh, MA is boring, repetitive (to most people) and its really a lifetime of learning. and it takes work before you are ready for a promotion (in ours it takes about half a year - six months) McDojoists know many people are turned off by this. so they'll 'simplify' things, because the black belt is attractive to most people they'll make it 'easier' (ha!) to get one. When really it takes years (in ours its about 6 or 7 years of hard work)

Hope this helps

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Throwdown0850
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Judo, BJJ, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade96 wrote:
Term 'mcdojo' is rather subjective and different people have their own idea what it means, but basically a McDojo is a place that puts business interests (ex money) ahead of teaching or imparting true MA. Like the contracts, or promoting students too soon before they are ready, to make them want to stay there because tbh, MA is boring, repetitive (to most people) and its really a lifetime of learning. and it takes work before you are ready for a promotion (in ours it takes about half a year - six months) McDojoists know many people are turned off by this. so they'll 'simplify' things, because the black belt is attractive to most people they'll make it 'easier' (ha!) to get one. When really it takes years (in ours its about 6 or 7 years of hard work)

Hope this helps

I agree with this here. pretty much as long as you make the payments, you promote.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What makes a mcdojo in your eyes?

Money...WAY before effective knowledge, if any at all!

just2kicku
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can "Supersize" your registration and get your BB, might be a Mcdojo

"Hard in practice, Easy in battle" Kaju motto

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just2kicku wrote:
If you can "Supersize" your registration and get your BB, might be a Mcdojo

Now that's funny!!!!!!

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A McDojo to me is a school that has very lenient rules about obtaining rank. It also depends on the curriculum offered too.

Don't want to open a can of worms here and this topic has certainly been discussed before but a school that has six year old black belts, to me, is a sure sign and one example of a McDojo.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McDojo is a term that is tossed around rather loosely at times. Being one of the resident TKD guys on board, I don't like the fact that McDojo gets associated with TKD a lot. But, the fact of the matter is that certain organizations and their practices do tend to bring that image upon themselves. But, it is important to take every school in and check it out for yourself, as opposed to letting the name do the classifications for you.

Many people will associate what they perceive as an abbreviated testing time line to be a McDojo; to be more specific, a two-year black belt. Again, it is important to take this for what it is worth, and it is important to look at what the organization practices, what it focuses on, and how that plays into the curriculum and the advancement process.

In the end, what is important is if the school offers what you want to learn, and if you feel the quality of instruction is high. The thing to remember about testings, though, is that you don't have to test everytime one is scheduled. Take your time, and if you don't feel ready, skip one here and there.

Now, when it comes to price, it will depend on what you want, what you are willing to pay, or how much you can afford to pay. I don't view contracts as an instant sign of a McDojo. For some schools, especially high-member schools, contracts are a far easier way of collecting dues than trying to be the bill collector for so many students every month. I have been on contract for quite a while now, but I also know that I will not be quitting anytime soon.

In the end, look at the totality of the circumstances involved, and then make your decision on if a school appears to be a McDojo or not. Make no mistake, though; those schools are out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: