Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: [KF 500k] Member Interview: bushido_man96 Reply with quote

Member Profile

bushido_man96 (View Profile)
KarateForums.com Sensei
KarateForums.com Awards: Community Spirit Award (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012), Staff Member of the Year (2006, 2007, 2009) and Article of the Year (2007)

Interview

Where are you from?

Hays, Ellis County, Kansas, USA.

Why did you get started in the martial arts?

I got started in the martial arts because I had been exposed to them as a youngster, and they were always an interest in the back of my mind. I can remember as a young child, living in Plainville, KS, when I was perhaps 5 or 6, my dad taking me to a gym, either a school or an armory, where he assisted in teaching taekwondo. I did that for a time, and although I didn't stick with it at the time, those memories always stuck with me.

As I grew, I can remember watching Chuck Norris movies with my dad while younger. The Octagon, Hero and the Terror, and my personal favorite was Lone Wolf McQuade. My dad would also talk about martial arts with me from time to time, especially during movie watching.

So, in 1993, when I was in 8th grade, a friend of mine told me about the taekwondo club he was a member of, and talked me into coming. Since then, I've been hooked. I was bullied as a kid, so finding a form of release and some self-confidence in learning how to move and different self-defense things was very appealing to me. I was never any kind of an athlete that played school sports, so taekwondo became my "thing."

Why have you continued to practice them?

It has become so much a part of what I do, that I can't imagine not doing it in some manner or another. It is also pertinent in my line of work, being a law enforcement officer (LEO). It's interesting that my MA training has lent itself to my law enforcement career, and now I seek out different training so that I can help my department and others by being a defensive tactics instructor. I really enjoy that aspect of it.

Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken.

I would consider taekwondo my main style. I started in the American Taekwondo Association in Colby, KS, in 1993, and made the rank 2nd degree black belt, as well as certified instructor. When I moved to Hays in the 1998/1999 time frame, I worked with various instructors off and on until I joined Sun Yi's Academy of Taekwondo/Traditional Taekwondo Association in 2001, and have been in that organization ever since.

I have attained rank in Combat Hapkido, which our TKD instructor introduced for a period of time through our TKD school, and I have attended aikido classes and seminars through the Aikido Association of America.

I also practice defensive tactics whenever I can, and have recently attained an instructor certification in the G.R.A.C.I.E. course, which stands for Gracie Retention and Control for Immediate Enforcement.

What is your grade or level?

I'm a 3rd degree black belt in Sun Yi's Academy of TKD, a 4th gup in Combat Hapkido, and have earned a 7th kyu in Aakido.

Do you teach?

Yes, TKD and defensive tactics through my department, and with a club at our local university.

What are your first memories from training?

My first memories are from working with my dad, taking me when I was just around 5 or 6 years old. They have stuck with me forever.

What has been the highlight of your training?

My highlights include the instructor certification camp when I was in the ATA, doing 2 hour sessions in the evenings with Grandmaster H.U. Lee among some of the fun things we did there, doing instructor seminars with Grandmaster Sun Yi, and getting to attend the G.R.A.C.I.E. course, taught by Royce Gracie.

However, I put at the top the opportunity to train with a current KarateForums.com member, sensei8, Robert Mitcham. We met each other and began conversing at the now defunct Black Belt Magazine forums, and I convinced him to come check out KarateForums.com. He did, and we began discussing the opportunity of getting together to train. We got to meet, and we trained for a weekend, learning from each other, helping each other, seeing different sides of things, and above all, becoming very good friends. We are currently trying to arrange a second training session together. KarateForums.com has been very instrumental in our being able to meet and train together, which is awesome!

What do you do when you're not training?

Our family stays very busy. Currently, we have a daughter that is a senior in high school, and two boys, who will be 4 and 8 in October, that keep us on our toes!

What do you do for a living?

I'm a Sheriff's Deputy for the Ellis County Sheriff's Office.

Who are or were your martial arts heroes?

Chuck Norris, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Stevan Seagal, Wesley Snipes and my dad. And a little bit of Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

What are your favorite martial arts films and/or shows?

The Quest, Bloodsport, The Last Dragon, The Blade movies, Walker, Texas Ranger and Martial Law for the brief time it was on.

Where do you see yourself going in your martial arts journey in the next few years?

I hope to test for my 4th dan near the end of the year, and I hope to get back into Combat Hapkido more heavily, training and testing for new rank, and earn my first dan there, too. I also plan to increase my training in defensive tactics to better provide for my fellow officers.

Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join?

I found KF when I was looking for a martial arts chat room. When I did a search, KF came up, and I checked into it. It wasn't what I was looking for at first, but after reading through some of the threads and posts, I immediately signed up, and stuck around.

Why did you stay?

I stayed because the atmosphere at KF is great for discussion, and there is no chest thumping or nasty tirades over what is legit, what isn't, what is the best, what isn't. If someone thinks something isn't quite right, or could be done better, things are discussed in a positive manner, and I think everyone learns from that.

You've been a member since March 31, 2006. During this time, how has KarateForums.com changed in your eyes, if at all?

It has gotten better. We have great members who present great subject matter, which generate great discussions in all facets of the martial arts.

How did becoming a staff member change how you viewed the site?

It really opened my eyes as to how challenging it can be to manage a site like this, let alone keeping everything moving in a positive way, maintaining the high standards that we have in regards to keeping the site a family friendly and positive community.

How, if at all, have you used KarateForums.com in your classes or training?

It has changed the way I think about some things. I see training ideas from other members, and try some in classes here and there. I also try different training methods from time to time, either in the classes, or in my own training. I branch out, look around, listen and learn a bit differently. I think about what other people would do, and bring it back here and ask questions. It has enhanced my martial arts experiences greatly.

Are there any members here who have had a particular influence or impact on you?

Training personally with Bob has been impactful. He taught me the first karate form I've ever done. Along with some ways of interpreting things. Alex (tallgeese) and ps1 have shown me different ways to look at things. Danielle (DWx) has been someone I can bounce different TKD ideas off of, because we both do some similar forms, in different ways, which makes for great discussions. There are tons of others, too, and I apologize for anyone I don't think of off the top of my head here, but there are too many here, that give me pause in thought, to count!

Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?

Training with Bob brought some great advise, and I have to thank KF for that especially. Being able to correspond with someone like Alex, who does what I want to do with my department, has become a resource I know I can go to for advise and information on how I should approach things, or questions I might have. And getting to meet Patrick a few years back in Topeka was a great experience, too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great to meet you in person, as well, Brian. I'm sure I'll see you again.

If it weren't for you, we would have reached 500,000 posts a bit later! Your 23,549 posts and the replies that they spawned have helped, that's for sure.

But you are more than just a high number. The member with the most posts on a community is not always a great example for members to follow. On another community that I managed, I once banned the member with the most posts. That was pretty crazy, even if it was necessary.

This is a case where that isn't true, though. It would be hard for me to ask for a better example for members to follow than you. The impact your posts have go beyond their quality content, they directly impact the quality of the discourse that we enjoy here by illustrating to all members, new and old, how to participate in an exemplary manner.

Of course, that is just part of your immense contribution to this community. The other side of it is the private side, as a moderator, and the longer you are in the role, the more that you improve. In the last year or so, specifically, I feel like you have really thrived in the role and grow into it in a way that really helps me to maintain "the high standards that we have in regards to keeping the site a family friendly and positive community," as you said.

I am glad that we have you as a member. Thank you for your friendship and support over the years.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful interview, bushido_man... For sure, you've earned the top spot at KF for a reason. Also, you and Bob are the top two posters I always look for when visiting KF... I think I've learned more from you guys at KF than anyone else, so far.

Food for thought: I've often wondered what it would be like to do a "KF Tour" where members band together around the country (whatever country) and travel around visiting and training at other members' dojos/dojangs/schools...

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview!!

Words can never properly describe just how I value you in and out of the MA. First, you're my friend. Secondly, you're a great MAist across the board. Your MA knowledge goes without saying; deep and sound!!

I will never forget you...never!!

Your my friend, and I'm so thankful that I'm your friend as well.

Thank you Brian for everything that you do here at KF!!

I bow to you, now and always!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian there's a reason why you've earned the Community Spirit Award so many times; through all your posts you can definitely see community is a big part of each and every post. And all 20 000+ posts are top quality too.

It's great to be able to bounce TKD ideas off of you too and to have an alternative perspective take on things.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to read your interview. You really are an asset to the community and I can't wait to get the chance to train together.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the kind words. KF has been a big part of my life for some time now. I can't imagine not ever being here. All of the great members here, and the sense of community Patrick has fostered, is why I keep coming back.

Thank you all so much! Its so hard not to reply to each of your responses, so know that you all are special to me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: