Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: [KF 500k] Member Interview: DWx Reply with quote

Member Profile

DWx (View Profile)
KarateForums.com Sensei
KarateForums.com Awards: Staff Member of the Year (2008, 2011) and Funniest Member of the Year (2009, 2010)

Interview

Where are you from?

Leicestershire, United Kingdom.

Why did you get started in the martial arts?

A mix of reasons really. Was a fairly quiet (and chubby!) kid. Did a lot of other sports but never really got into them that much. I had always liked watching Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, etc., and my dad found out there were taekwon-do classes going on in the next village. He asked me if I wanted to have a go and 12 years later here I am.

About a year prior to starting, I was getting bullied at school and I think my parents thought that the martial arts would give me the tools to stick up for myself; not just physically but also through helping me to develop confidence and the right attitude. Whilst I can't categorically say what type of person I'd have been without martial arts, I'd like to say that they have shaped me for the better and created someone who isn't a total wallflower anymore.

Why have you continued to practice them?

Something I've always found about martial arts is that they are universal: anyone, regardless of age, ability, color or creed can practice them and enjoy what they have to offer. To me they are also about betterment of self, physically and mentally, and because of this I think they tend to attract a certain type of people. So I guess I continue to practice them both because of the physical and mental challenge but also because of the type of people I get to associate with. Besides which, martial arts also seem to build a camaraderie that you don't often find elsewhere and some of the strongest friends I have made I have met through TKD.

Please briefly describe the style of martial art that you have taken.

My main style is taekwon-do. Due to the Olympics, I think most people will have an idea what it is about. I actually study the slightly lesser known ITF or Chang-Hon style which is perhaps halfway between Olympic or Kukkiwon TKD and Shotokan karate.

What is your grade or level?

Samdan, 3rd dan black belt.

Do you teach?

A little. I don't have my own class but being one of the senior students at my school presents a lot of opportunities for me to teach lower grades one-on-one and take parts of classes. I do eventually want my own class but my work schedule makes it difficult to commit to a regular class. I also get the opportunity to coach our students at tournaments too - it is especially fun coaching the kids.

What are your first memories from training?

I can remember my first class. There were a few kids a couple of years older than me who came straight up and introduced themselves... bit of a shock to the shy 10 year old me. We did a fairly energetic warm-up which I really struggled with and then some line work and patterns (TKD equivalent to kata).

What has been the highlight of your training?

There are many! I guess some of the best memories are getting to step on the mat with some awesome people. I have been privileged by the fact that my instructor has always pushed things like seminars and courses so I have had the opportunity to train with some TKD greats. I have also been fortunate to have had the opportunity to compete internationally and that is something that is incredibly reassuring yet humbling too. Standing side-by-side with the other competitors gives a sense of accomplishment yet at the same time you know you are far from the best fighter out there.

What do you do when you're not training?

I'm always training! Well, I train 4 days a week in the dojang and when I'm not I'll be running or in the gym. On my rest days, I'll still be reading or watching martial arts related things. Aside from that I do like watching movies and playing PC/console games.

What do you do for a living?

Sales. Although specifically my job description is that I am an account manager for a specialty chemicals and pigments distributor. Job title makes it sound much more impressive than it actually is!

Who are or were your martial arts heroes?

Well, you've got to include Bruce Lee straight off. He seems to be everyone's hero. Aside from him: Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Jean-Claude Van Damme. As a chubby kid, I remember watching Martial Law with Sammo Hung on a Saturday night and he was pretty inspirational to me because he was a big guy that could move.

In the TKD world, Hwang Suil is pretty high up on the list. He's the Japanese national coach but also the motion capture actor for Hwoarang from the Tekken games. I've been lucky enough to have met him and trained with him a number of times. And of course my instructor/coaches and all of my training partners.

What are your favorite martial arts films and/or shows?

Although obviously nowhere near realistic, I do like watching wuxia films: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, Fearless, etc. All-time favorite has to be Kung Fu Hustle – so many references to other films/art.

Where do you see yourself going in your martial arts journey in the next few years?

I am heavily into competition at the moment. I've got maybe 5, 6, 7 years of serious competition left if that. Aside, now that I've graduated uni, I want to start settling down into training and maybe start teaching.

Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join?

Through another forum actually. I joined KarateForums.com right around the time I had just gotten my 2nd dan and I was reading more and more about TKD and related styles. I read a few posts then one in particular caught my eye that I just had to add my 2 cents to. It was a discussion on junior black belts and I was a junior black belt.

Why did you stay?

I was just generally impressed with the level of discussion and the fact that every topic didn't degenerate into personal attacks.

You've been a member since January 17, 2007. During this time, how has KarateForums.com changed in your eyes, if at all?

I'm not sure to be honest. I think over the years it has always had a central core of posters who tend to generate the topics and post the majority of replies - that keeps things fairly consistent. If anything I think it has become more diverse and not so much centralized on karate.

How did becoming a staff member change how you viewed the site?

It was interesting to see the inner workings to the site. On such forums I think general posters take for granted what goes on behind the scenes - especially KF where we run a tight ship to make sure that the forum isn't bombarded with things like spam and trolls.

How, if at all, have you used KarateForums.com in your classes or training?

Most definitely it has broadened my perspective and introduced me to new training methods and ideas. KF has provided me with a platform to talk to people from other styles (and other cultures) where I wouldn't have necessarily had the opportunity to. I try to incorporate things I've learned on KF into my training and teaching.

Are there any members here who have had a particular influence or impact on you?

I suppose I have to mention Brian (bushido_man96) as my fellow Korean TKD practitioner. It's always interesting hearing his perspective on things. And, of course, the rest of the staff members: Heidi (ninjanurse), Alex (tallgeese), Bob (sensei8), Gareth (Harkon72), Noah (Wastelander) and Devin (Lupin1).

Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?

I'm not sure to be honest. Not to say I haven't received great advice over the years as I most definitely have. There just isn't anything specifically that stands out. It's all been great.

Last edited by Patrick on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle has a lot of traits that I value. Among them, her attention to detail. Many members wouldn't be exposed to this like I am, with her being a member of my staff for quite a while, but she really has a great eye for what is and is not appropriate in our community. She takes her responsibilities seriously, as do all of our Senseis, and she has demonstrated this to me time and time again.

She has a great personality and is a great team player.

Danielle, thank you for the tremendous contributions that you have made to this community. Beyond the posts you've made, your efforts as a Sensei stand out as being just as important and impactful. I am grateful for all of your support and feel privileged that we have you as a member of our team.

Thanks again,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle has always impressed me across the board. For being a 3rd Dan, she's quite knowledgeable about the MA in general, and not only in TKD. She's all of that and a bag of chips when it comes to the MA. Thank you for mentoring me during the good times as well as in the bad times!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this, Danielle. You bring so much to this community, and we are very fortunate to have you here with us. I always enjoy being able to talk to you about the similarities and differences in our TKD experiences.

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very enjoyable interview DWx Your knowledge and experience prove themselves in every one of your posts.

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's down to you guys for creating such an awesome community that I am fortunate to be a part of.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle, you can be proud of being one of the pillars that hold up this forum. I have learnt a great deal from you already, I look forward to learning more about TKD, as sadly it is quite rare here in North Wales. If you ever find your way past our road signs, you are always welcome here in our little valley.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle, you truly are a professional when it comes to your work here, both as a member and staff. Thank you for helping to keep this site what it is and thanks for sharing in your interview.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks D! You've been great through my time here, and your experience shines in your posts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: