Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: [KF 500k] Member Interview: Lupin1 Reply with quote

Member Profile

Lupin1 (View Profile)
KarateForums.com Sempai

Interview

Where are you from?

New Hampshire, USA.

Why did you get started in the martial arts?

I was 8 years old and wanted to be a Power Ranger, which I hoped would start me on a career path to become a ninja when I grew up.

Why have you continued to practice them?

I like the mental challenge, the physical exercise and the friends I've made in my club. I also like having a basic knowledge of self defense if I ever find myself in the unfortunate situation of needing it.

Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken.

I mainly study Isshinryu, although I dabbled briefly in tae kwon do and spent about a year trying out judo.

What is your grade or level?

3rd kyu in Isshinryu and 6th kyu in judo.

Do you teach?

I help out with the kids' class, but I'm not an instructor.

What are your first memories from training?

I remember my instructor telling us that for a special treat, at the class before Halloween, he was going to teach us how to disappear like a ghost. My 8-year-old mind concocted grand visions of throwing smoke bombs and suddenly ending up 20 feet up a tree and I was very disappointed when all we learned was how to step around and behind a person when attacked. My instructor still does this lesson every year for the class before Halloween.

What has been the highlight of your training?

The first time I was trusted with a bo, after several decades of wanting to try it, was pretty cool.

What do you do when you're not training?

I work a lot, read a lot and I'm going to be attempting to write a novel in the coming month for NaNoWriMo. Should be interesting.

What do you do for a living?

My "real" job is as a middle school librarian, although I'm hoping one day to get back into an elementary classroom teaching position. My favorite job is my summer and weekend job running rides at the local amusement park.

Who are or were your martial arts heroes?

Don't know if I really have any, unfortunately.

What are your favorite martial arts films and/or shows?

I still have a soft spot for my old favorite The Three Ninjas series of movies even though it really is horrible. The original The Karate Kid trilogy is also one I could watch over and over again.

Where do you see yourself going in your martial arts journey in the next few years?

I hope to get my black belt in Isshinryu sometime in the next few years (there's no exact time frame and I like it that way) and then I guess I'll just keep training and helping out with the kids. I think I eventually (years down the road) want to do more with teaching.

Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join?

I, unfortunately, don't remember. I was just... here one day...

Why did you stay?

You guys help keep me motivated. I may be on the verge of quitting or just giving up on practicing and coasting and I'll come here and see all the passionate people and see how much work you all are putting into your training. It makes me want to work harder, and be more involved, and pushes me forward. Thanks, guys.

You've been a member since December 15, 2009. During this time, how has KarateForums.com changed in your eyes, if at all?

I feel like we're getting a lot more diverse - there are more and more people coming in from all corners of the globe with different martial arts experiences and amazing stories to tell. It makes the world a bit smaller in a good way.

How did becoming a staff member change how you viewed the site?

I feel a bit more responsible to give to the site now. Before, especially as a lower ranking kyu student in my martial arts journey, I feel like I took more than I gave to the site with all the high ranking, decades-of-experience black belts spouting off wisdom and little old me just drinking it in. But as a staff member, I feel more of a drive to present my opinion and share what little experience I have and I've come to see the value in hearing from all different levels of experience.

How, if at all, have you used KarateForums.com in your classes or training?

It's mostly been used as motivation, though sometimes I'll attempt some training strategies I hear about on here.

Are there any members here who have had a particular influences or impact on you?

Blade96. She hasn't been on in a long time, but she joined right around the same time I did and her passion for the martial arts, despite the many challenges she faced, was contagious.

Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?

It wasn't so much a single moment as it was a time period. For two years I lived in the middle of the desert an hour away from the nearest martial arts school (and I tried that school for a month or so and it wasn't for me). I could have easily given up and let myself stop practicing for those two years, which possibly could have resulted in stopping forever. But this forum kept me connected to the martial arts community during that time and gave me the motivation to keep going and, even in the desert, the sense that I was not alone. I had a place I could get questions answered and share my workouts to keep myself accountable. I had a sense that if I gave up, someone would care. It helped me push through that difficult phase in my training and not only survive the break, but come back from my time a stronger martial artist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: [KF 500k] Member Interview: Lupin1 Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?

It wasn't so much a single moment as it was a time period. For two years I lived in the middle of the desert an hour away from the nearest martial arts school (and I tried that school for a month or so and it wasn't for me). I could have easily given up and let myself stop practicing for those two years, which possibly could have resulted in stopping forever. But this forum kept me connected to the martial arts community during that time and gave me the motivation to keep going and, even in the desert, the sense that I was not alone. I had a place I could get questions answered and share my workouts to keep myself accountable. I had a sense that if I gave up, someone would care. It helped me push through that difficult phase in my training and not only survive the break, but come back from my time a stronger martial artist.

This is a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it with us, Devin.

It has been great to get to know you better as a member of the staff. I'm glad that we have you here and I appreciate all of the contributions that you have made to this community.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to join Patrick in his sentiments across the board!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I as well. Its been great getting to work with you on staff, and you bring quality to the community.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that you've been more proactive with sharing since coming on staff. The great thing about this community is that everyone's opinion matters. Fresh perspective is important no matter how long you've been in. That perspective can come from anywhere.

Keep at it.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy your contributions as well and share your sentiments about KF's impact on personal motivation! Thank You!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love reading your posts Devin and it's great that KF made you feel part of a community and motivated.

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much enjoy your posts, and always look for them! Your posts/contributions show why you're worthy of KF Sempai!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: