Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: [KF 500k] Member Interview: mal103 Reply with quote

Member Profile

mal103 (View Profile)

Interview

Where are you from?

England UK, currently live in Wiltshire.

Why did you get started in the martial arts?

It was always something I wanted to try as I don't like football but wanted to keep fit. MA didn't fit in with military life so I started late in my 30s. I'm glad I picked karate.

Why have you continued to practice them?

Karate is now part of my life. It enhances my life and I can no longer live without it!

Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken.

I started in Wado ryu but then, after a house move, changed to Shotokan, purely because that was the style of the best local club.

What is your grade or level?

I have recently graded as Nidan in Shotokan karate. We are all still beginners though, I have just seen a picture of me and my boy doing kata and have feet/arm/etc. out of position.

Do you teach?

I started teaching as soon as I passed my black belt. This was early and I have learned a lot. The majority of my students have stuck with me so I must be doing a fairly good job. I try to mix up 3Ks, self defence, fun, fitness and anything else I see as being relevant. I now have 2 regular sessions a week and around 25 regular students, one of my first has double graded and is now a brown belt. All of them pass grades without problems and get good feedback.

What are your first memories from training?

Trying to figure out my elbow from other body parts. I remember on my first grading I changed from a turn to a slight jump and got told off!

What has been the highlight of your training?

Passing black belt was a big highlight. Although you don't suddenly become invincible, and the training afterwards feels the same, it is a good milestone on your journey. Since then, seeing my students grade and progress as I have passed on my good training.

What do you do when you're not training?

Work, study, fix things at home, fix vehicles, family stuff and keep fit - if any time remains then I will research karate and find things to add to my teaching or training.

What do you do for a living?

Ex-military submariner, now I work in IT databases and financial systems.

Who are or were your martial arts heroes?

Kanazawa, Bruce Lee, Mas Oyama, Enoeda, Gichin Funakoshi - anyone who has dedicated their life to MA and made a difference.

What are your favorite martial arts films and/or shows?

I love Master Ken of Ameri-Do-Te - I think he pokes fun at the daft things in MA and is a true Master...

Where do you see yourself going in your martial arts journey in the next few years?

My club became an association due to having 5 training locations after expanding, then joined the EKF. We are still growing in size and have 2 new instructors in training. I will do my best to support them and maintain our technical instruction as part of my role. I have 3 years to Sandan but lots more to learn yet.

Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join?

I was on a forum but KF is busier. I like to answer questions to help others and to get quick answers to mine.

Why did you stay?

The general attitude of the forum is very good. I think I have a good grasp of MA and the humility, etc, but I am in some member's shadows as there are some extremely good MAs on here.

You've been a member since May 11, 2011. During this time, how has KarateForums.com changed in your eyes, if at all?

It's gotten better!

How, if at all, have you used KarateForums.com in your classes or training?

I have emailed fellow martial artists links to KF, I have also taken and read some good advice in general.

Are there any members here who have had a particular influences or impact on you?

About 5 but I won't embarrass them...

Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?

When I have replied and really gone beyond to give a good explanation, to have someone else quote you and say "good post" is very flattering. It's simple but good to know someone agrees wholeheartedly with your opinion.

There are plenty of opinions in the MA world, by our nature we should listen and learn where possible. KF is a good place to do this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: [KF 500k] Member Interview: mal103 Reply with quote

Thank you for participating in this interview series, mal103. I appreciate the kind words about the community and I am glad that you enjoy it. Thank you for the contributions that you have made here.

Patrick wrote:
When I have replied and really gone beyond to give a good explanation, to have someone else quote you and say "good post" is very flattering.

I appreciate you re-enforcing this. I definitely encourage members to express appreciation in public when a member makes a post that they enjoy. It has an impact on people and is a great way to encourage more posts of that nature and to help great members feel appreciated for what they contribute here.

Thanks again,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this with us! Its great to have you as part of the community, and I enjoy reading your posts.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, it's great to have a fellow UK Karateka with us, keep up the good work here and in the Dojo! Osu!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview!!

I sincerely thank you for your many contributions over the years; solid across the board. I've enjoyed your posts as well, and I look forward to them each time I log onto KF.

Thank you for all you've done for KF!!

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, naturally I don't feel worthy to be among the others here but feel grateful to be asked. I'm glad people enjoy my ramblings!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview I enjoy reading your posts as it's great to read another UK perspective on things

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, great interview! Your contributions are always insightful/helpful, and I look forward to them each time I visit KF...

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: