Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: [KF 500k] Member Interview: monkeygirl Reply with quote

Member Profile

monkeygirl (View Profile)
Former KarateForums.com Sensei
KarateForums.com Awards: Funniest Member of the Year (2002, 2003, 2005) and Thread of the Year (2002)

Interview

Where are you from?

I grew up in South Central Pennsylvania and moved to Portland, Oregon a few years ago.

Why did you get started in the martial arts?

When I was a tween, I wanted to take dance classes like my fellow Girl Scouts did. My father insisted that if he was going to pay for any kind of class, he would make sure it was something that would teach me to defend myself. My older brother and I went to a starter class at a local tae kwon do school and immediately fell in love with the art.

Why have you continued to practice them?

I actually don't practice anymore and have now been out of training for longer than I was ever in. But at the time, it was a great source of exercise, mental/emotional calm (extra helpful during a period of raging hormones and angst), and deep friendships. I'm very driven by achievement and recognition, and so the belt system and tournament competitions were also very appealing to me.

Please briefly describe the styles of martial art that you have taken.

I studied tae kwon do, which I think was closer to the WTF style than the ITF style, but we threw in a lot of extras as well based on our Grand Master's experiences, such as weapons training, self defense (open-hand, ground sparring and defense against weapons) and Krav Maga.

What is your grade or level?

I achieved 1st dan and was 1/3 of the way to 2nd dan when I left my dojo.

Did you teach?

I was a student instructor for a year or two, which I really enjoyed, although my young age was a challenging factor at the time when helping adult students.

What are your first memories from training?

Kicking as far over my head as possible and having a photographic memory for katas (including those way beyond my belt level).

What has been the highlight of your training?

Training gave me a great sense of self-confidence and was a wonderful release. It's hard to describe the feeling when you're alone on the training floor, whipping a set of kusarigama through the air and around your body and launching yourself into a flying kick. It was exhilarating, empowering and liberating all at the same time.

What do you do when you're not training?

I stopped training in 2003 due to a falling out between my family and the dojo's owners. I tried to continue practicing on my own and have had a few stints as a cardio kickboxing and self defense instructor in college, but have largely stopped training. In the years after leaving my dojo, I picked up Ultimate Frisbee and dabbled in improv and theater.

What do you do for a living?

I am the Director of Analytics for an independent school fundraising office, and am currently applying to master's programs in analytics.

Who are or were your martial arts heroes?

I'm not big on heroes or role models, but there are a few people who have been influential for me. I got to train with Bill "Superfoot" Wallace for a day when he visited our dojo, which was truly inspiring. Our Grand Master had me and a few other students perform our best katas for him, and it was an incredible privilege to be critiqued by him and have a better sense of how you really compared to martial artists beyond our tiny town in Pennsylvania.

I also got to meet several Grand Masters from the ITF who were capable of things I thought only happened in movies (after lots and lots of editing). At our dojo, progress tended to feel halted after you achieved first dan - no new patterns, no new techniques. These masters served as a great example of how much more I could still learn.

What are your favorite martial arts films and/or shows?

Old Jackie Chan movies will always have a special place in my heart, but The Raid has to be some of the best fight choreography I've ever seen.

Where do you see yourself going in your martial arts journey in the next few years?

I'm curious about trying to find a dojo and get back into training in a few years, perhaps after I've finished grad school and my husband and I have found a more permanent home city.

Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join? Why did you stay?

I honestly can't remember how I found it, but I was pretty into forums at the time so I was inclined to join forums that aligned with my interests. I stayed because the conversations were always fresh and engaging, and it was a place where I could ask questions I didn't feel comfortable posing in my dojo.

You've been a member since February 22, 2002. During this time, how has KarateForums.com changed in your eyes, if at all?

I haven't been very active in the past few years, so it's a little tough to say, but I remember being present during some big changes - introducing articles and member awards, for example.

The thing that will always stand out in my mind was the exit of a certain outspoken member who shall remain nameless. When that user left, the whole atmosphere of the forums changed for the better. The old guard know who I'm talking about. If you don't, read Patrick's book for a few examples.

How did becoming a staff member change how you viewed the site?

The staff-only forums were quite eye-opening. It was incredible to see how hard the staff work to keep the forums clean, respectful and feeling safe for all. A lot of the worst posts had disappeared before I had seen them, so it was a little shocking (especially at the ripe age of 14 or 15?) what some people thought was OK to post or to privately message someone.

It also let me get to know Patrick much better, since he wasn't terribly active in the martial arts threads, but really dedicates a lot of time to the management of the site. Being a staff member let me see how much he cares about KF, and I gained a lot of respect for him.

How, if at all, have you used KarateForums.com in your classes or training?

I mostly turned to KF for questions having to do with attitudes and interactions with people, and I received a lot of interesting (if often conflicting) feedback. It helped me gain perspective on the conflicts I was dealing with at my dojo and I think helped me deal with situations a little more maturely in the dojo (even if I may have vented a little immaturely on the forums at times).

Are there any members here who have had a particular influence or impact on you?

I'm a little sad to say that it's been so long I don't remember the specific usernames, but there were always a few members who held a special place in my heart. Girls my own age who knew what I was going through, men and women older than me who supported me and gave sage advice, and who had my back when other people may have wanted to dismiss me as a little kid. Many of those people were fellow staff members, and some were not.

Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?

I'm a little embarrassed about this one, but the only KarateForums.com Award I ever received that wasn't in the Funniest Member of the Year category was a Thread of the Year award for Respecting Younger Instructors. Looking back on that thread is fairly difficult, because who wants to look back on the things they said when they were 15? But that thread taught me a lot about humility and being open-minded, as well as thickening my skin a little.

I've always looked younger than my age and have often advanced beyond my age group in academics and various types of promotions, which has led me to be a little sensitive about my age and about being taken seriously. I asked a question in that thread about how to overcome people who wouldn't give me a chance simply because I was young. Some of the replies were people basically dismissing me for being young, and so I almost got to try out different arguments online instead of having the misfortune of using them in my dojo. It didn't go very well, and in the end - whether I realized it consciously or not - I think I learned the Great Lesson of the Internet: some people just can't be convinced, some things can't be magically fixed, you just have to be confident in yourself and keep trying. That lesson of perseverance has carried through to school, college, work and beyond. Simply putting in the work and continuing to try can do so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always great to reminisce with you, Tammy. I'm glad that we have been able to stay in touch for all of these years.

Thank you for your outstanding contributions to this community. You were a great member of staff and your support through various challenges meant a lot to me.

Thanks,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this with us, monkeygirl. Perhaps when things slow down a bit, we'll get to see you back here more often.

I did pick through that thread some, and it was a very interesting read. Lots of great discussion on both sides of the coin. I'm glad you were able to share these things with us.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like bushido man, I too had to take a look at the thread after you mentioned it. Great discussion and lots of points of view. I've never had the opportunity to interact with you on the forums but I think it would be a great experience based on that link.

Very nice work, especially given your age at the time. Good luck as you move forward and I hope you find a school to get back into it at. Lastly, thanks for a peek at the early days of KF (well before my time). Always interesting to see the evolution of the forum from someone that was here before it became what I've always known it to be.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview!!

I, too, want to thank you for all that you've done to support KF.

Maybe one day, if that opportunity ever arise again, you'll come back to the MA floor of your choice.

Thank you!!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tammy will be on the live stream on Saturday and we'll be doing some more reminiscing on there.

Patrick

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview! Certainly gives an insight into early KF days.

I too looked at the thread, interesting read. Some of the points hit home with me as I was also a fairly young "senior" student. In fact I joined KF to say my piece in a thread about young or junior blackbelts and some of the points in your thread seem surprisingly familiar!

monkeygirl wrote:
It also let me get to know Patrick much better, since he wasn't terribly active in the martial arts threads, but really dedicates a lot of time to the management of the site. Being a staff member let me see how much he cares about KF, and I gained a lot of respect for him.

And I totally agree with this.

(Btw do you remember which ITF masters you trained with as I too train in that style of TKD )

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Danielle (and Tammy) for that comment. That means a lot to me.

Patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: