Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: [KF 500k] Member Interview: yamesu Reply with quote

Member Profile

yamesu (View Profile)

Interview

Where are you from?

I am Australian born, have lived in Asia, regularly do trips to Thailand, but permanently reside in Australia at present.

Why did you get started in the martial arts?

I first walked into a dojo at age 7 (22 years ago now... that makes me feel old). My mother told me my friends were going to try it out and asked if I wanted to. Just happened to be a Kyokuhsin dojo, which I have continued to practice on and off to this day.

Why have you continued to practice them?

Self discipline, focus, fitness. Whenever I stop training for a little while, I get withdrawal and have to go back! Additionally, looking at availability and gaps in my skills has led me to take on other martial arts over the years including those from non-Japanese systems which has, I think, led me to become a more well rounded martial artist.

Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken.
  • Kyokushin: a hard and full contact karate style invented by Sosai Mas Oyama
  • Presas Modern Arnis: a contact stick fighting style used to emulate knife and machete fighting, originating from the Philippines
  • Judo: a Japanese grappling art focused on takedowns and submissions
  • Muay Thai: a full contact kickboxing style, simple but full on, originating from Thailand
  • Kobudo: traditional Okinawan weaponry
What is your grade or level?
  • Black belt in Kyokushin
  • Isa (black belt) in Arnis
  • Green belt in judo
  • Yellow belt in kobudo.
Do you teach?

Yes, I regularly teach at the moment.

What are your first memories from training?

Doing partnered work as a child, linking arms back to back sitting down and having to stand up using cooperation and reading the other persons body movement. I still teach this with the kids in class today!

What has been the highlight of your training?

I think I gain something from it everyday, in my personal, work and social life. Grading to new heights and getting the epiphany of how a technique works is also always a great moment!

What do you do when you're not training?

I am a government scientist and (on the side) web programmer. I also play music (guitar and piano), and love being around my friends and family just hanging out.

What can you tell us about your job?

I am a government scientist and work in a diversity of areas from regulation (law) to groundwater chemical analysis (everyday is different), but have in recent years, moved into middle management so do less research and more telling other people what to do.

Who are or were your martial arts heroes?

Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan (and does Arnie count?). Also the Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Goku (from Dragon Ball Z) and of course Monkey Magic!!!

What are your favorite martial arts films and/or shows?

Pretty much everything, but picking a couple: Fong Sai-yuk (starring Jet Li) and Aragami are brilliant.

Where do you see yourself going in your martial arts journey in the next few years?

Continuing to train, probably more exclusively in Kyokushin as time constraints get more and more pressing.

Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join?

Web search, after Planet Jubei shut down I needed to rant about martial arts.

Why did you stay?

I stayed because of the diversity of members from around the world and from a variety of styles (which makes for good conversation), as well as the interesting topics that are discussed.

You've been a member since July 13, 2004. During this time, how has KarateForums.com changed in your eyes, if at all?

Not a lot really. I think that I may have missed changes as they come and went!

How, if at all, have you used KarateForums.com in your classes or training?

I would say yes. I cannot think of any specific examples, but I can say that a lot of conversation gets the brain juices flowing and that leads me to think about both positive and negative aspects of training and how I can show this to the juniors in classes.

Are there any members here who have had a particular influence or impact on you?

A number over the years. More recently sensei8, bushido_man96, tallgeese and Kuma.

Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?

Finding The Martial Artists' Training Log thread and seeing what others were doing on a consistent basis. I had, at that point, been in a relationship for several years and had stopped training seriously, as well as having put on a few kilos.

This spurred me to get back on the horse by finding my original instructor (trained directly by Mas Oyama, and in Kyokushin it does not get better than that!!!). I am now still with my lovely lady, and looking like I did the day I met her again! Win-win for both of us.

This also led to me finding a permanent place at my preferred dojo (90 minute travel time from home but worth it) and beginning to teach classes again after some years off. I have since also started traditional kobudo and have been trained by some greats from Okinawa, notably Sensei Tetsushiro Hokama (again, cream of the crop when it comes to martial artists who are alive today).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this with us, yamesu. I appreciate all of your fantastic contributions over the years. Thank you.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your story with us. It's great to have your knowledge and experience here on KF.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this with us, yamesu. I always enjoy your input, and seeing how much your training involves in The Martial Artists' Training Log is always motivational!

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to concur with bushidoman, it's always excellent to see your input as well.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone that's posted here as well. Your contributions towards KF is not forgotten, and vital to the betterment of KF. Thank you!!

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us into your world a bit! I always enjoy your posts and look forward to many more!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much everyone!

I only hope I can contribute here as much as I gain from the forums and all of its members.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing yamesu - great read

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamesu wrote:
Thank you so much everyone!

I only hope I can contribute here as much as I gain from the forums and all of its members.

Don't worry, yamesu. You do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: