Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that contact level should be what is safe and consented to. No one should be struck harder than they want to be. And no one should be treated like a child based on gender.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
I feel that contact level should be what is safe and consented to. No one should be struck harder than they want to be. And no one should be treated like a child based on gender.

Solid post!!

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
That said, what's the Dan grade crying off for ?

I'm considering next time (and this guy does whine a lot) telling him this is a karate dojo, not a knitting class, but I'm not sure how that'd go over.

blacknebula
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
andym wrote:
That said, what's the Dan grade crying off for ?

I'm considering next time (and this guy does whine a lot) telling him this is a karate dojo, not a knitting class, but I'm not sure how that'd go over.

My Sensei has a variation - "This is a karate class, not ballroom dancing".

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem lies in something that was said to someone further back in my lineage. "No, they're not (vulgar term for weak people), they're customers."

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
The problem lies in something that was said to someone further back in my lineage. "No, they're not (vulgar term for weak people), they're customers."

Ahh, but we're a free program.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:

Good post.

Gender shouldn't come into it. I know, as other's have said, society fosters this idea of men never striking women, partly because they are deemed not to be as strong or as much of a threat to men as other men. But in the dojo to hell with that. If a female student comes to the dojo and expressly states that she wants to train harder and to be hit, then all other students should respect her enough to do this. If not you are doing her a disservice. If she should get attacked on the street or find herself in a similar situation you think her attacker is going to go easy because she's a woman? Likewise it is worth reminding men that females can and sometimes will hit them just as hard as men. Just take gender out of it, all students, whether male or female, have a right to ask you to ease up and strike lighter if they feel that the contact level is too much or to increase the contact levels if that's what they want from their training.

My rule for the dojang is to ignore gender and to always let the lesser skilled and experienced student dictate the contact level. If they are comfortable going harder then the more skilled person can respond to this and increase the intensity accordingly.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once hit a woman half my size way too hard. She immediately taught me to always apologize with my guard up. One of 2 or 3 times that I've had to straighten my nose back out. She was respectable empty handed, but give her a blade and it was a thing of beauty.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The level of contact in the dojo should be appropriate to the individual, but gender and age are two factors that people constantly try to use to gauge what is appropriate instead of asking and testing.

We have a 14 year old girl at my dojo that can take a hit just as well as any boy her age, if not better. We have some people of both genders and different ages that are new to sparring and contact and need to be eased into it. We have some people with injuries or medical/psychological conditions to address. I have trained with girls from other schools who are tough as nails and girls from other schools who will forever give me the evil eye because I actually applied a joint lock to them. I have trained with guys who want to hit as hard as possible all the time and I have trained with guys who complain about a broken blood vessel in their finger from parrying a punch and want to stop.

Unless otherwise specified by the instructor (no contact, light contact only, etc.) the level of intensity and contact should suit the individual. Ask first, and then test by working your way up from no contact to the highest level their are comfortable with. Communication with your partners is key to fostering a safe and effective training environment!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuma wrote:
A law enforcement related article ya'll might find interesting that is relevant to this topic:

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/1877110-Female-suspects-They-CAN-hurt-you/

All too true. A few weeks back we were dealing with a drunk gal, and she ended up slapping me on the chest a few times when I was trying to restrain her. It didn't hurt at all, but I had that "what the hell?" thing going through my mind. It doesn't pay to discount anyone. I've seen lots of big dudes get arrested, but more often than not, I've seen the little guys be the fighters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: