Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

neoravencroft
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, JKD, Uechi-Ryu, Escrima, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Meshing Different Arts Reply with quote

Now I know that there is MMA out there which might lead to some discussion from that form, but with this one, I'm more talking about the other traditional styles.

I'm currently a beginner of Wing Chun and Uechi-Ryu karate. I know that both styles have different philosophies and approaches in their style.

My question is: can different traditional styles mesh well with others such as Wing Chun and Uechi-Ryu? For example, does Shorin-Ryu and Hung Gar kung fu go well together, or perhaps Tae Kwon Do and Aikido?

I know this question might be a little vague, but I was hoping to get a few opinions from you guys.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey great topic. Many people are still "purists" as I say but much of the world has adapted at least, some type of hybrid adaptation of styles.

I have a foundation of Tang Soo Do, however I feel that to provide a program that encompasses a broad experience of martial arts (just as the dojo I learned in) I integrate my other experiences into the program. I integrate hung gar Kung fu, Tae Kwon Do, kickboxing, jeet kune do and a few others to make a very we'll rounded and changing martial arts experience, however I maintain the base art of Tang Soo Do to keep this as the main structure of discipline, and traditional values of the program. I feel having a martial art at the roots helps to give the program a stronger identity, and not so chaotic. Sorry to rant!

As to the question I find that rather then questioning weather they blend, I question are they different enough to keep the curriculum challenging and keep it from getting "stale" if you will. Hung gar Kung fu and karate really don't mix from a standpoint of blending seamlessly, at least not the way Tang Soo do and Tae Kwon Do seem to potentially, but like I say they fit in a way that makes my program we'll rounded, rather then distort it. At least this is the theory that I teach with. I came out of a program that was similar and enjoyed the benefits of training heavy in a specific style, while not adhering to it so tightly that I closed my mind to other concepts or ideas. I find that the kids care very little if at all about style, and more about doing something new, so this idea seems to fair we'll amongst the young. Many may disagree with this as traditional practitioners/Teachers, but like I said I enjoyed earning rank in this way personally as did my wife, who earned a black belt with little interest prior to finding that specific studio, says something to me.

I realize I went very deep with my response to your question but hopefully my rambling is welcomed haha. Take care.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer will really depend on what each practitioner's goals are, and why they are looking at the styles they are meshing. Some styles will shore up the shortcoming of other styles. BJJ can fill the grappling void present in TKD. But doing Hapkido and Aikido together could just be convoluting to the practitioner.

What one should do before doing this is evaluate what each of the styles has to offer, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and if there is a lot of overlap in the same areas, then it probably wouldn't be as productive for the practitioner to spend his or her time in those styles, and perhaps should look into others.

Now, if someone just has the time and money to spend doing as many styles as they possibly can, regardless of overlap, then power to them. I know I can't afford to do that, so I'd need to be more efficient in choosing my styles.

Judodad_karateson
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, boxing, Karate

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”

― Bruce Lee

Its more about the Artist than the art. Learn everything you can, and use what works best for your mind and body.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Meshing Different Arts Reply with quote

neoravencroft wrote:
Now I know that there is MMA out there which might lead to some discussion from that form, but with this one, I'm more talking about the other traditional styles.

I'm currently a beginner of Wing Chun and Uechi-Ryu karate. I know that both styles have different philosophies and approaches in their style.

My question is: can different traditional styles mesh well with others such as Wing Chun and Uechi-Ryu? For example, does Shorin-Ryu and Hung Gar kung fu go well together, or perhaps Tae Kwon Do and Aikido?

I know this question might be a little vague, but I was hoping to get a few opinions from you guys.

Nice OP!!

To the bold type above...

Yes...why not. The limitations, imho, aren't with the styles themselves, but with the practitioner; that's when the difficulty arises. Man creates style, then man boggles the style; man gets in the way!

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Meshing Different Arts Reply with quote

neoravencroft wrote:

I train in Shorin-ryu and have trained in Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum). IMHO, they go very well together. The similarities are close enough that they don't really clash or confuse each other, and the differences are far enough apart that they compliment nicely. To me, it's no surprise, considering that both Hung Gar and Shorin-ryu share roots in older Southern Shaolin (Hung Siu Lum is a type of Southern Shaolin).

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this topic! I'm now trying to combine the Shotokan Karate i've been learning with the Muay thai i've studied for years in my upcoming MMA fight, 3 months from now.

I like a lot of the defensive techiques of karate that translate better to MMA than thai boxing, due to the fact you're not wearing huge boxing gloves, foot sweeps, and certain back fist techniques, as well as learning different ranges and angles, while using the huge arsenal of weapons Muay Thai brings.

I'm hoping, if I can do this successfully. I'll have a system I can teach one day, that has the best of both, while resembeling neither.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more two systems are different, the easier it can be to blend them however it is advisable to have a solid grasp of one before attempting to mix it with another. Everyone who ever sucessfully combined different systems was already competent in a base system.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Spartacus Maximus"]The more two systems are different, the easier it can be to blend them however it is advisable to have a solid grasp of one before attempting to mix it with another. Everyone who ever sucessfully combined different systems was already competent in a base system.[/quote

Well said! my Shotokan instructor told me the same thing!

neoravencroft
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, JKD, Uechi-Ryu, Escrima, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks you all for your honest opinions. I shall contemplate on it all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: