Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a good example of the differences between Karate and Kung Fu.

Makawara Tai Chi would be a contradiction.

The harmony of Yin/Yang. For example, the balance of strings tightened correctly and the instrument can be played beautifully.

Human beings can be considered instruments. We all wear out eventually; what's the rush?

Understanding the theory of antioxidants in foods and putting it to good use, is a healthy conscience choice; so as to slow down the aging process deliberately.

Personally my knees have been very bad, due to my efforts of abusing them for my own fun and amusement. Now with many years of due care and attention, my knees are far better than can expected for my age. Knees are one of the weakest links in the human body; preserving them is a smart investment for anyone.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
This could be a good example of the differences between Karate and Kung Fu.

Makawara Tai Chi would be a contradiction.

The harmony of Yin/Yang. For example, the balance of strings tightened correctly and the instrument can be played beautifully.

Human beings can be considered instruments. We all wear out eventually; what's the rush?

Understanding the theory of antioxidants in foods and putting it to good use, is a healthy conscience choice; so as to slow down the aging process deliberately.

Personally my knees have been very bad, due to my efforts of abusing them for my own fun and amusement. Now with many years of due care and attention, my knees are far better than can expected for my age. Knees are one of the weakest links in the human body; preserving them is a smart investment for anyone.

Agreed Alan. I did not mean to imply that you should intentionally try to wear your body out but rather that your body will fail with age whether you never do a thing or engage in the arts. To me I would rather do the things I love and if the machine breaks down along the way, so be it.

As far as getting the right nutrients goes, I have no choice. My wife is like my old drill instructor and keeps me on the straight and narrow. Well I might cheat from time to time but don't tell her. I'm afraid of that woman.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a younger student ask me about what to do with knee pain, and if I had any. I told him see a doc or learn to live with it. He asked about my knees and I told him it was background noise at this point. Knees and hips are both trouble, one shoulder, elbows, hands are wracked from working/accidents when younger. I think my back still works. Most days.

I've given up distance running for cardio because of my knees. I tell myself that now. I would rather work the bag for that now as it builds a skill as well. I watch how I do squats and dead lifts when I lift. It's all wear and tare as part of not sitting on the couch.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoriKid wrote:
Had a younger student ask me about what to do with knee pain, and if I had any. I told him see a doc or learn to live with it. He asked about my knees and I told him it was background noise at this point. Knees and hips are both trouble, one shoulder, elbows, hands are wracked from working/accidents when younger. I think my back still works. Most days.

I've given up distance running for cardio because of my knees. I tell myself that now. I would rather work the bag for that now as it builds a skill as well. I watch how I do squats and dead lifts when I lift. It's all wear and tare as part of not sitting on the couch.
I would tell the student to supplement their diet to help maintain bones and cartilage. Also to strengthen the muscles around the weaker joints.

Personally I have a touch of arthritis in my neck, I don't not move it on the contrary I want to keep it working by working it, or it will seize up.

Many people are not exactly symmetrical, same idea with car tyres that are not balanced, something will wear out before it's time.

Insulates in shoes (from an expert) can usually help balance a person out.

Proper body alignment and standing and walking properly without slouching can help alleviate pain problems.

Improper hip tilting; People that push out their rear end or pulling in their rear too much, can also cause alignment problems over time.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
My knees are in horrible shape after 20+ years of kicking in TKD. I think the cartilage in one of them might be gone, as it feels like it grinds quite a bit. When I move my lower leg back and forth, I can hear my knees talking to me. I don't think that's a good thing.

Yep I would have to agree with you. My knee's pop from time to time but they are not grinding yet. I have heard of this but, knock on wood, not first hand.

I feel for you. Can you still train or are you past the point of training? If you are it's definitely not the end of your carrier. I was down for a month and couldn't do much of anything for 6. I still was able to teach class those last five months albeit without showing takedown or kicking techniques. I incorporated one of my Yudansha students to help in that department.

I always have heard that once your body goes it's pretty much over but I see it differently. Your body might have gone but you still have a treasure trove of knowledge to pass on. I guess the moral of the story is life does not end after you loose the ability to do something. You can still teach and from my experience, quite effectively.

I can still train, other commitments have kept me from very much of that for the time being, though. I'll be getting back to it soon, but it will be slow going, and I'll be a shadow of what I was for a time. The main thing will be losing some weight. If I can get back to training and cut some of the weight, then I think that will help the knees some. Either way, I have to do something. It may mean more punching and less kicking, and it will definitely mean less bouncing around in sparring. I'll have to be the tank in sparring, who sits there, holds ground, blocks well, and gets in quality shots when the others get close.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knees are a valid target in martial arts and keeping them healthy should be a priority as they are also an integral part of attacking or defending with.

The knee is a hinged joint as opposed to the hip which is a ball and socket joint.

The knee has about 5% twisting range of motion.

Martial artists that do not incorporate "The Ballet hip turnout" will consequently suffer with damaged knees in the long and or short run.

There are "Ballet turnout disks" that help to train the hips to turnout instead of the knees and ankles.

Collagen food supplements can also help to strengthen cartilage. Usally made from pig bones.

Supplements containing collagen also can contain magnesium and vitamin C.

Most of the vitamin D we need for healthy bones comes from the Sun.

Places that lack sunshine, add vitmin D to foods to compensate and any little bit of sunshine available, people want to soak it up.

Ironically studies have shown that people from sunny place, have lower vitmin D intake due to indoor work environments and to avoid the heat, taking refuge from the high temperatures.

There are simple tests to determine if a person's vitamin D level is satisfactory.

Maintaining knees should be high on the priority list for martial artists due to the pounding they take internally and externally.

Another irony about "The Internal" martial arts and how much this subject as been twisted and bent out of shape.

Caring for, strengthening and maintaining knees is a part of the internal martial art wisdom.

A person is only as strong as the weakest link and for most of us mortals it's the knees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: