Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! We hadn't heard about this. Thanks for the heads-up, Bob! I agree that he has a beautiful dojo. I was there once, many years ago. It'd be a shame to lose it.

The timing isn't great. Demura is recovering from his brain aneurysm or hemorrhage or whatever he had a couple years ago, but he still has a way to go. I heard he's starting to walk without his cane again. And next year is his 50th anniversary celebration! I think it's 50 years of teaching in the US but don't quote me. He's planning a big banquet in February 2015. The indie documentary about him should be out soon, but then again, they've been saying that for a long time now.

Even though he's not well and is busy, I'm sure he has many people willing to help him deal with all this. We were at his tournament a few weeks ago, and no one said anything! We know many Genbukai senseis. I'll report back if we hear about any developments.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnASE wrote:
Wow! We hadn't heard about this. Thanks for the heads-up, Bob! I agree that he has a beautiful dojo. I was there once, many years ago. It'd be a shame to lose it.

The timing isn't great. Demura is recovering from his brain aneurysm or hemorrhage or whatever he had a couple years ago, but he still has a way to go. I heard he's starting to walk without his cane again. And next year is his 50th anniversary celebration! I think it's 50 years of teaching in the US but don't quote me. He's planning a big banquet in February 2015. The indie documentary about him should be out soon, but then again, they've been saying that for a long time now.

Even though he's not well and is busy, I'm sure he has many people willing to help him deal with all this. We were at his tournament a few weeks ago, and no one said anything! We know many Genbukai senseis. I'll report back if we hear about any developments.

It would be an honor to attend his 50th anniversary celebration!! Yes, please, by all means, if you hear anything new from the Genbukai sensei's, it would be greatly appreciated.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to one of Demura Sensei's guys about the dojo the other day. It's not done, but it doesn't sound good. Probably more a question of when they have to move, not if. I mentioned that there are people out there who would like to help, and he said he'd let us know if there's anything anyone can do.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Demura Sensei's website, there's a petition that one can download, sign, and send it in. I don't know how many have been sent in, but it'll take a lot of them to get someone to notice, imho!!

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a truely sad and frustrating situation. I remember when I started in Karate four decades ago reading about Demura sensei and watching the Karate kid, knowing he was Miyagi sensei in real life.

My heart and thoughts go out to him and his students, I truely hope that this works out for him and his student to the better.

it is always sad to see a famous spot ripped down, but the Dojo truely is the students and instructor, not four walls and a roof. but a home is four walls and a roof and I can see the sadness in this situation.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over landscape; I'm befuddled beyond all explanations!! I remember seeing Demura Sensei at the Japanese Village and Deep Park back in Buena Park, CA in 1968, then the show moved to Las Vegas, which he performed there for 2 years; dynamic karateka, to say the least!!

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
It would be an honor to attend his 50th anniversary celebration!! Yes, please, by all means, if you hear anything new from the Genbukai sensei's, it would be greatly appreciated.

I finally got the info the Demura Sensei's 50th Anniversary Celebration Banquet. Tickets are $100 per person! It's on Saturday, February 21, 2015, at the Hilton Hotel in Costa Mesa. Attire is formal or semi-formal. There's a form for purchasing tickets. I have a contact email address, but I didn't get permission to post it, so if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. Info might be available at the Genbu-kai website.

I believe the dinner will be on the day of Demura Sensei's kobudo tournament, and the next day should be the karate tournament. We always have a booth at the latter event, but not the former.

I haven't heard anything lately about the dojo moving.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnASE wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

I finally got the info the Demura Sensei's 50th Anniversary Celebration Banquet. Tickets are $100 per person! It's on Saturday, February 21, 2015, at the Hilton Hotel in Costa Mesa. Attire is formal or semi-formal. There's a form for purchasing tickets. I have a contact email address, but I didn't get permission to post it, so if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. Info might be available at the Genbu-kai website.

I believe the dinner will be on the day of Demura Sensei's kobudo tournament, and the next day should be the karate tournament. We always have a booth at the latter event, but not the former.

I haven't heard anything lately about the dojo moving.

Thanks for the info...I will BE at the Banquet, for sure!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: