Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Minimum floor area Reply with quote

What would be the minimum training floor area for about a dozen people? how much space is required so that everyone can move comfortably without risking bumping into one another?

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum floor area Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
What would be the minimum training floor area for about a dozen people? how much space is required so that everyone can move comfortably without risking bumping into one another?

Are they kids or adults? Also will throwing be going on?

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's assume it is for adults or at least no one smaller than the average 16 year old of both sexes. Keeping in mind that different types of martial arts might have different floor space needs, what is the minimum for yours?

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say around 4 mats per person, but realistically it may be less because of the available space that you either own or are renting.

Currently my dojo we have a distinct lack of space, but we are currently unable to move locations because there is no where in the area that would be able to have that would cope with numbers or be able to be able to regularly be host 4 days per week.

My sensei for the last 9 years has been trying to find a space in the surrounding suburbs to have as a permanent home that he can own or rent at a better rate for more space.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much space is one "mat"? Approximately how many square feet or meters? A commonly used puzzle style mat sold by sports/gym suppliers comes in 1sq meter.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If kata is a big part of your training, do your most space consuming kata, figure out the square footage required, and multiply by the number of students. Bo kata probably require more space.

Our dojo is quite small. Senior students performing kata such as Koryu Gojushiho and Kanku start with their back almost against a wall, and usually have to shuffle backward so they don't hit the opposing wall. They have no problems when they start where the adjacent wall would be, but then we're limited to two or three people at a time. There's a bo kata that brings about the same situation. Those kata are very long in the embussen. We have enough room for every other kata. We've adjusted pretty well with the space we've got.

Also factor in space on the floor and wall(s) for things like bags, weapons (if they're stored on the wall), mats (if you have a stack of them in a corner, etc.

If I were looking at a place, I'd do the most space consuming kata during a walk-through to get an idea. The realtor/landlord may look at you funny while doing it, but oh well. If a kata can fit comfortably, so can anything else IMO.

Better yet, bring a bo and run through a bo kata (if you teach bo). The dojo ceiling gets shorter and the space gets narrower somehow when bo kata is being done

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1,000 square feet should be more than adequate 12 student.

For example...4 Tatami mats for 2 students, and a usual Tatami mat is 6'X3'//3'X6'...that's 18 square feet X 4 Tatami mats = 72 square feet X 6 pairs of 2 students = 436 total square feet. That leaves room for a very small office, lobby, viewing area, and retail display, if one's lucky, and knows how to manage small spaces.

Imho!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say that only the training floor is needed and that the dojo does not need an office space, a lobby or display area. 1000sq feet sounds a bit too large.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Let's say that only the training floor is needed and that the dojo does not need an office space, a lobby or display area. 1000sq feet sounds a bit too large.

Yes, 1,000 square feet is a bit large for 12 students!! I suppose 500 square feet would be adequate enough for 12 students, and to be sure, my Tatami calculations would serve that.

Smallest I've ever worked in commercially was 1,000 square feet, and that seemed quite cramped, to me.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering this, too. My wife and me will probably be moving into a house (from an apartment) within the next couple years. I would LOVE to have enough space to do some forms (on my own, or as a bonus, with my wife!) I was thinking 15x15 would be plenty for me to do my forms comfortably, and have some equipment along the sides.

This idea of 4 tatami is quite interesting neat, but our stances are pretty deep, and I suspect I might run out of room when doing my forms on such a space.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: